Author Topic: Random forum use question.  (Read 996 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Random forum use question.
« on: May 20, 2017, 09:35:52 AM »
Is there any way to search just for pictures you've posted?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Random forum use question.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 10:20:05 AM »
I tried searching for img and [ img ]*[ /img ], with my name in the "by user" slot, but that didn't work. I guess you'll have to go to your profile, and select Show Posts under the Profile Info menu on the left-hand side.  
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 11:15:59 AM »
Yeah I tried that too, came up with nothing. :'(
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »
All of them? Or just a particular picture?

If a particular picture you might be able to use a directed google image search...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 03:57:53 PM »
The search ignores "http", "[img]", and does NOT allow for wildcards so "out*" finds the word "out" but NOT the word "outside".
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 04:50:14 AM »
This is kinda dumb, but it used to work in older systems.  Haven't tried if lately, and I'm on a new system, so I can't test it right now.

It MIGHT provide a HINT for you to proceed experimentally.

No gurantees.  Sounds stupid, but it used to work.  If the image only exists on the site, and you're just looking for it there, lotsa luck.

If you have the image on your drive, try opening it with a text processor (I always used Notepad) and you will get a bunch of "ASCII Garbage," which is essentially the pixel-by pixel coding translated to <ahem> "text."

Select a small portion of that ascii garbage from what would be the middle of the image as text and then search for that as text on the site.

Like chicken soup for a cold.  It might do some good, might not, but it can't do any harm, and please bear in mind that it's from olde pharte technology.  Might be nowadays that you can't open images, expecially with the newer formats, with any text processor.

"Oh, noooo, we can't let THEM do THAT."

I'm going through the throes of making my new system conform to my old head, so, again, it's just a HINT.  

:old:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 05:04:12 AM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 10:44:58 AM »

I'm going through the throes of making my new system conform to my old head, so, again, it's just a HINT.  

That gets more and more difficult impossible. At least Windows 7 still offered a "Windows Classic" theme that allowed it to look more or less, somewhat, in a manner of speaking, like Windows XP. Then along came Windows 8/8.1 and Microsoft omitted the Windows Classic theme, so even with the freeware classic theme restorer you can't really make it look like Windows.

It's a jungle out there ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 01:39:38 PM »
OK, I could get off on those forced obsolescence / forced "gotta go to MS for help" things but if I do, a certain lady who does work or used to work for MS will come up with some kind of profit motivation / bottom line arguments as to why life under MS is just simply the way things are und du must like it oder else.  Verstehst?  :D

I just offered that ASCII substitution thing as a POTENTIAL way for OP to look further into possibilities to solve the problem.  Another gun board allows for searching for your individual attachments, though.

Terry shuts up now to avoid Punitive Administrative Anger (PAA) from the aforementioned lady.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:51:44 PM by 230RN »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 07:29:17 PM »
This is kinda dumb, but it used to work in older systems.  Haven't tried if lately, and I'm on a new system, so I can't test it right now.

It MIGHT provide a HINT for you to proceed experimentally.

No gurantees.  Sounds stupid, but it used to work.  If the image only exists on the site, and you're just looking for it there, lotsa luck.

If you have the image on your drive, try opening it with a text processor (I always used Notepad) and you will get a bunch of "ASCII Garbage," which is essentially the pixel-by pixel coding translated to <ahem> "text."

Select a small portion of that ascii garbage from what would be the middle of the image as text and then search for that as text on the site.

Like chicken soup for a cold.  It might do some good, might not, but it can't do any harm, and please bear in mind that it's from olde pharte technology.  Might be nowadays that you can't open images, expecially with the newer formats, with any text processor.

"Oh, noooo, we can't let THEM do THAT."

:old:

That's pretty ingenious. I'll have to test that with a picture I can find. lol

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 03:16:36 PM »
You might try temporarily renaming the known image file to dot-txt.  I forgot to mention that.  (You can rename them to .jpg or whatever later.)

(edited to add "known")
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 03:52:48 AM by 230RN »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 03:39:30 PM »
You might try temporarily renaming the image files to dot-txt.  I forgot to mention that.  (You can rename them to .jpg or whatever later.)

But you have to find them first to do that.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 06:18:27 PM »
^ I changed that post to read "...known image file...."

The application was to find where the heck the other image was.  I located the lost full image from a segment of a cropped image.  After that, I was just playing with the concept.  Circa mid 1990s?  Note it doesn't work with going from a compressed image to, say, a .bmp version or vice-versa.  I don't know how it might work with later image formats.  Like I said, just a HINT to perhaps stimulate further thought to solve OP's problem.

Obviously, this was long before such things as Libraries with their thumbnail listings existed.  And before Terry learned to organize stuff better than to just stick everything on the C:/ root. :D

Or on one or another of that pile of floppies.   =( ??? :facepalm:

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 03:55:00 AM by 230RN »