Author Topic: More proof that civil discourse is dead  (Read 2315 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
More proof that civil discourse is dead
« on: May 21, 2017, 06:43:29 PM »

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/05/21/california-dem-leader-leads-fk-trump-chant-at-convention-while-holding-up-two-middle-fingers/

Speaking at the convention, outgoing California Democratic Party chairman John Burton reportedly led the crowd in a “f**k” Trump chant while holding up two middle fingers, according to video and pictures taken at the event.

During the convention, Burton was also caught on camera telling protesters to “shut the f**k up and go outside” prior to Democratic National Committee chairman Tom Perez taking the stage, according to a reporter.

I suppose I should be relieved that they weren't breaking windows, committing arson, or assaulting passers-by.  Or maybe that comes later.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: More proof that civil discourse is dead
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 10:35:50 PM »

I suppose I should be relieved that they weren't breaking windows, committing arson, or assaulting passers-by.  Or maybe that comes later.

That's reserved for when they're protesting conservatives ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 08:43:18 AM »
Closer every day.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/05/21/california-dem-leader-leads-fk-trump-chant-at-convention-while-holding-up-two-middle-fingers/

At least it wasn't a rodeo clown wearing a Trump mask. 'Cuz that's racism, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:10:57 AM »
This country is in serious trouble.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:31:56 PM by BTR »

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »
they're posing.
Not understanding that Trump was just being authentic, they presume being vulgar is going to improve heir image.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 12:00:46 PM »
they're posing.
Not understanding that Trump was just being authentic, they presume being vulgar is going to improve heir image.

This is a really cogent explanation of the left. So much of what they do are examples of cargo cult thinking that it's unsurprising they don't grasp this, either.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 01:59:24 PM »
Of course, had any of us done the same thing in regards to the previous occupant of the White House, we'd have been roundly denounced as racists and likely arrested for hate speech.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 02:16:37 PM »

It was Racism then. It's Resistance now.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 09:18:49 PM »
It was Racism then. It's Resistance now.

He who defines the vocabulary controls the argument.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 08:22:25 AM »
He who defines the vocabulary controls the argument.

If you'll recall from your Orwell, it's about controlling thoughts, not just the argument.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 08:55:43 AM »
This seems relevant to the topic of civil discourse (or lack of)
At that point, Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him. Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the reporter. As Gianforte moved on top of Jacobs, he began yelling something to the effect of, “I’m sick and tired of this!”
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 09:26:18 AM »
This seems relevant to the topic of civil discourse (or lack of)

Other than the Inevitable political fallout I fail to see where anything "bad" happened. =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 10:23:11 AM »
Other than the Inevitable political fallout I fail to see where anything "bad" happened. =D

If there is no video, should I really take the word of reporters that this happened as described?  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 10:46:56 AM »
If there is no video, should I really take the word of reporters that this happened as described?  

If it was just the Guardian reporter, maybe not, but the Fox News crew that witnessed it certainly corroborates his story.
There's also an audio recording that seems to follow the witness accounts pretty closely.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 04:46:08 PM »
http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/bombshell-montana-assault-witness-changes-story-admits-no-neck-grab/

A reporter who was a firsthand witness to an incident late Wednesday involving Montana GOP candidate Greg Gianforte and a reporter for the Guardian now admits she may have misstated some details of her initial story.
I don't think Fox reporters are any more worthy of trust than the others. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 05:14:29 PM »
Quote from: details
I saw both his hands go up, not around his neck in a strangling type of way, but more just on each side of his neck, just grabbed him and I guess it could've been on his clothes, I don't know.
I'm not sure there's a huge distinction there, it's certainly still assault.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 05:20:44 PM »
I'm not sure there's a huge distinction there, it's certainly still assault.
Fair point, but these days when I hear about reporters claiming a politician did something bad, I tend to either ignore it or assume it is a lie until I find out more information.  At least for this story, the "sources" are not anonymous.   =)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 05:26:39 PM »

Fair point: a roomful of reporters and no video footage?
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama