Author Topic: Twitter Founder Apologizes for Getting Trump Elected  (Read 1470 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Twitter Founder Apologizes for Getting Trump Elected
« on: May 22, 2017, 11:15:23 AM »
The founder of Twitter felt that he needed to apologize for Twitter's (alleged) role in getting Trump elected.

I especially liked this thoughtful quote:

"I thought once everybody could speak freely and exchange information and ideas, the world is automatically going to be a better place," Williams said. "I was wrong about that."

Stupid free exchange of ideas (including those I don't like)!

http://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/05/22/liberal-numbskull-james-woods-blasts-twitter-co-founders-apology-for-giving-trump-a-platform/

Also note that Twitchy is no longer letting you read their articles if you have an active ad blocker. You either need to make an exception or else open in another browser that doesn't have an ad blocking extension.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Twitter Founder Apologizes for Getting Trump Elected
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 11:42:06 AM »
Someone has an inflated sense of his own importance.

If Twitter, Facepalm, Google, etc continue to suppress conservative speech, I would think a competitor would fill the vacuum.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 11:46:09 AM »
Also note that Twitchy is no longer letting you read their articles if you have an active ad blocker. You either need to make an exception or else open in another browser that doesn't have an ad blocking extension.

Eff 'em.  Another site I won't be visiting I suppose.

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 12:10:38 PM »
Someone has an inflated sense of his own importance.

If Twitter, Facepalm, Google, etc continue to suppress conservative speech, I would think a competitor would fill the vacuum.
IMO, it is typical of leftist liberals.  They think if everyone else gets exposed to their ideas and thoughts then they will agree with them.  They are disappointed when they find that is not the case.  It shows that they are not nearly as dedicated to free speech as they claim to be.

I remember seeing this when Obama was elected the first time.  So many liberals seemed to have this view that if they could just go talk to all those other countries' leaders, they would get in line with what they wanted to do.  I imagine reality is always a bit of a shock for some of them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 12:17:41 PM »
IMO, it is typical of leftist liberals.  They think if everyone else gets exposed to their ideas and thoughts then they will agree with them.  They are disappointed when they find that is not the case.  It shows that they are not nearly as dedicated to free speech as they claim to be.

I have found that many leftist don't even really claim to be for free speech.  If it's given lip service, it's something that you let the hicks have to distract them so that you can get on with progressing society.  Almost all of them are perfectly content with suppressing speech that has "Bad Ideas" and pretty open about it.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »

There's currently a dozen other Twitter ish platforms out there. If twitter got too annoying, it'd become the next Myspace in a matter of weeks. The Market Share of Damocles is ever present.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 12:35:27 PM »
Eff 'em.  Another site I won't be visiting I suppose.

Chris

Yeah, thanks for getting me to veer in my own thread again! :P  :laugh:

I totally understand that these sites need to make money, and I'd be fine with ads if they were static. One of the main reasons I have an ad blocker though is because of the tons of stupid video, animated, flashing, and other ads that continually pop up and make my eyes hurt as I'm trying to read stuff. Also the ads "cleverly" placed so close to an actual story that it's easy to accidentally hit the ad instead of the story.

I really like most of the stories that Twitchy mines so I don't have to go to a dozen different sites, but they have too many animated ads. If they'd cut those down, I'd be happy to make them an exception in adblocker.

I notice that Fox News has also lately been popping up a message about "please add an exception to your ad blocker" (strangely, only on my travel laptop and not my main machine). I wonder if they'll be blocking access soon? They have way more annoying ads than Twitchy does.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 01:53:03 PM »
The Market Share of Damocles is ever present.

Well-played.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 03:18:02 PM »
There's currently a dozen other Twitter ish platforms out there. If twitter got too annoying, it'd become the next Myspace in a matter of weeks. The Market Share of Damocles is ever present.

Yes, I agree, but with a caveat.

1. The "next big thing" tends to be fueled and aided by the mainstream media and popular culture, which has it's nominal left-bias on the political grid.
2. The odds are that the "next big thing" will be created by someone from or similar to the "silicon valley" mindset, and it's nominal left-bias.

So in other words, should Twitter or Facebook fall, barring an early period of it's "Wild West Days", and assuming the center-libertarian-right side of things be able to jump on it and make use of it faster and father than the left does... it'll just be a case of "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" pretty quickly.

For every Drudge Report, there seems to be ten Twitters, Facebooks, Googles etc.  And there seems to be a trend for the new platforms to become ever more symbolic, visual, and brief. And it's easy to meme-out some sort of leftist Robin Hood rhetoric, and not always as easy to meme-out a counter argument of "Yeah... that's theft", "Yeah, that's being generous with other people's money." "Yeah, that's just going to make things worse in the long run..."
I promise not to duck.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 11:30:52 PM »
If anything he helped to expose everyone to the craziness that is the SJWs by giving them a platform to voice their opinions, and then get passed around and mocked.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 03:51:01 PM »
Yes, I agree, but with a caveat.

1. The "next big thing" tends to be fueled and aided by the mainstream media and popular culture, which has it's nominal left-bias on the political grid.
2. The odds are that the "next big thing" will be created by someone from or similar to the "silicon valley" mindset, and it's nominal left-bias.

So in other words, should Twitter or Facebook fall, barring an early period of it's "Wild West Days", and assuming the center-libertarian-right side of things be able to jump on it and make use of it faster and father than the left does... it'll just be a case of "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" pretty quickly.

For every Drudge Report, there seems to be ten Twitters, Facebooks, Googles etc.  And there seems to be a trend for the new platforms to become ever more symbolic, visual, and brief. And it's easy to meme-out some sort of leftist Robin Hood rhetoric, and not always as easy to meme-out a counter argument of "Yeah... that's theft", "Yeah, that's being generous with other people's money." "Yeah, that's just going to make things worse in the long run..."

If I was smart enough I would create an app / social media for conservatives that can be used on a phone - lap tops and pc's seem to be dying out
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."