Author Topic: Finally, a "Your Tax Dollars At Work" that isn't negative  (Read 949 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Finally, a "Your Tax Dollars At Work" that isn't negative
« on: May 22, 2017, 02:38:02 PM »

https://code.gov/#/explore-code

Apparently someone at the fed.gov beat up enough government brass to start coughing up their code bases that the taxpayers paid for. Some is pretty mundane stuff, others is highly useful. My favorite is the Mission Control framework from NASA. Basically takes sensor data and makes it look pretty. Some other useful stuff in the list, with it hopefully growing in future years.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Finally, a "Your Tax Dollars At Work" that isn't negative
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 03:28:18 PM »
Thanks for the link.

I'm actually surprised this wasn't already universally happening. I know that DoD for years has been putting some of their stuff on SourceForge. When I left the gov, that's where I was able to download the PD versions of various UAS software and add ons I was using at work (albeit sometimes limited in function for good reason). Between that and ruskie sites for remote sensing and GIS software, I was able to nearly duplicate my abilities on a personal mobile workstation at no cost.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 03:29:59 PM »
Thanks for the link.

I'm actually surprised this wasn't already universally happening. I know that DoD for years has been putting some of their stuff on SourceForge. When I left the gov, that's where I was able to download the PD versions of various UAS software and add ons I was using at work (albeit sometimes limited in function for good reason). Between that and ruskie sites for remote sensing and GIS software, I was able to nearly duplicate my abilities on a personal mobile workstation at no cost.

tell me more about the Ruskie GIS sites.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 03:46:20 PM »
tell me more about the Ruskie GIS sites.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said "Russian sites" but rather "Russian software". They did a lot of open source development that was picked up by a lot of euro university folks and expanded upon. Look at NextGIS, Quantum GIS (QGIS), and SAGA for starters.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 08:32:50 AM »

They moved a whole bunch of stuff around. https://github.com/deptofdefense is looking pretty sparse at the second. Some went behind the CAC-wall. Others probably got forgotten. Keep copies of any of that code you collected that is public licensed.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 08:54:54 AM »
They moved a whole bunch of stuff around. https://github.com/deptofdefense is looking pretty sparse at the second. Some went behind the CAC-wall. Others probably got forgotten. Keep copies of any of that code you collected that is public licensed.

Yeah, I saw a few months ago that FalconView is no longer available. I can go to the site and read about it, but the download link is gone unless you're on a gov computer. As soon as I saw that I made three extra copies of the install file I already had and geographically distributed them.  :laugh:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 09:53:07 AM »
Yeah, I saw a few months ago that FalconView is no longer available. I can go to the site and read about it, but the download link is gone unless you're on a gov computer. As soon as I saw that I made three extra copies of the install file I already had and geographically distributed them.  :laugh:

Mind if I get a copy?