Author Topic: %*^&$%*#^$ Toyota Entune  (Read 4030 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
%*^&$%*#^$ Toyota Entune
« on: May 23, 2017, 08:45:14 AM »
So I have Toyota Entune Premium with navigation in my 4Runner. It's my first "integrated" voice system in a vehicle and I mostly love it. I can say stuff like "listen to Underground Garage" and it will find that station for me with no pre-programming necessary. While city street navigation is not as good as Google, I have found (at least out West) that offroad navigation, like forest service roads and practically down to cow trails, is phenomenal.

In the little over three years I've had the vehicle, it has always mostly functioned well. A few times a year it might freeze up and reset itself within a few minutes. Well, starting last month, the stupid thing freezes and resets randomly and frequently, and usually at the most inopportune times, like three minutes before I have to navigate through some complex offramp system in a big city. So off to the googles to see what's up. Sure enough, there is a TSB out on this and it's a pretty easy firmware fix. Yay! Or not.  :mad:

The TSB is a free fix at the dealer... if it's brought in before the warranty is out. This started for me literally a couple of weeks after the 3 year warranty ended in March. Grrr. Then, going straight from Grrr to triple dog Grrr, reading the TSB, it's a super easy firmware fix. Easier to do than a router firmware update. Just download the update to a USB stick, put it in the system and hit "install". Only they don't let owners access the update file. You have to be a Toyota tech to logon to the web page to download the file.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

So now I have to take the thing into the dealer and pay them $50 to stick a USB drive into the radio and click "install". Next time I'm in for an oil change, I'm going to try and sweet talk, whine, or grumble my way into some kind of discount for it. But what a stupid thing for them to do. Especially since they have sent out two OTA updates since I've owned the vehicle. If they don't want owners mucking with things (which I can understand, given some people's computer skills) there is no reason they couldn't have done this as a free OTA update. Quadruple dog Grrr.

/rant
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: %*^&$%*#^$ Toyota Entune
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 09:46:52 AM »
That's annoying, but at least it's only $50.  Think about it like paying $50 for a proprietary software package.

It could be worse.  It could be something that impacts the driveability of the vehicle.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:56:58 AM »
That's annoying, but at least it's only $50.  Think about it like paying $50 for a proprietary software package.

It could be worse.  It could be something that impacts the driveability of the vehicle.

True enough. First world problems. :)

Though to add insult to injury, I read this morning that Ford just released their latest firmware and software update for Sync. OTA. Or you can download it to USB and do it that way in your driveway.

Ford is actually really good in that regard. I can program new keys, turn seat belt warnings on and off, change all kinds of indicators and warnings, all without taking the truck to the dealer. Plus they let you use FORScan software, that lets you do even more via your phone and ODBII.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 10:04:18 AM »
Think about it like paying $50 for a proprietary software package.

More like being forced to pay $50 for something you've already paid in full for.  This is why I despise the software market; if hardware doesn't do exactly what it claims, it's fixed free, but if software doesn't live up to its claims, you get to keep paying for the (pathetic) attempts to fix it.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 10:06:59 AM »
More like being forced to pay $50 for something you've already paid in full for.  This is why I despise the software market; if hardware doesn't do exactly what it claims, it's fixed free, but if software doesn't live up to its claims, you get to keep paying for the (pathetic) attempts to fix it the problems caused by the last free OTA update.

FTFY.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 10:09:12 AM »
FTFY.

Funny, in some of my googling on the Toyota forums, they're pretty sure that's the reason things started screwing up for people and why they had to release the TSB.  :lol:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 10:10:39 AM »
What version are you using? Settings menu, update software, I believe it shows what version it is in the lower left.

Do you have the smartphone app paired to your head unit? If so, do so. Then check the version number again.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 10:13:20 AM »
What version are you using? Settings menu, update software, I believe it shows what version it is in the lower left.

Do you have the smartphone app paired to your head unit? If so, do so. Then check the version number again.

I can't remember.  I saw what the latest version is when I was googling last night. I do use the Entune app and I was actually gonna check that when I get in the vehicle to go to Costco this morning. :)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 10:14:57 AM »
I can't remember.  I saw what the latest version is when I was googling last night. I do use the Entune app and I was actually gonna check that when I get in the vehicle to go to Costco this morning. :)

Also, set the radio to connect for data over bluetooth

Edit: PM'ing instructions and link to file
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 10:21:54 AM »
Also, set the radio to connect for data over bluetooth

Already done. :)

It has done OTAs in the past, but this last one is not being released by Toyota. It could be that the previous two were just software and not firmware. This fix definitely requires new firmware from what the TSB said. Ford allows user firmware updates, but apparently Toyota does not.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 10:45:37 AM »
Already done. :)

It has done OTAs in the past, but this last one is not being released by Toyota. It could be that the previous two were just software and not firmware. This fix definitely requires new firmware from what the TSB said. Ford allows user firmware updates, but apparently Toyota does not.

*gigglesnort*

In case anyone else is wondering, I sent Ben the link to the actual official Toyota website that has the firmware updates. There is nothing stating that Ben is forbidden from doing so. There is no bypassing of authentication or anything saying it must be done by an authorized technician.

Took about... 2? 3 minutes?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 11:17:54 AM »
*gigglesnort*

In case anyone else is wondering, I sent Ben the link to the actual official Toyota website that has the firmware updates. There is nothing stating that Ben is forbidden from doing so. There is no bypassing of authentication or anything saying it must be done by an authorized technician.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 11:25:37 AM »
*gigglesnort*

Unfortunately that ended up being the AUG 2016 update that installed via OTA. Thanks for trying though! Much appreciated. :)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »
Unfortunately that ended up being the AUG 2016 update that installed via OTA. Thanks for trying though! Much appreciated. :)

Boo. What firmware are ya running?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 05:45:41 PM »
Looks like 0101A1 and I need to get to 0101C1.

The TSB shows the install file as 01030-PANSC-14C, which I did a search for, but no dice.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 07:28:12 PM »
I wonder if there is a way to find a copy of it to download, perhaps a torrent?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 08:03:17 PM »
[PDF]Entune Audio Head Unit Software Update (Panasonic) - Toyota Nation ...
www.toyotanation.com/.../5114d1425671794-entune-software-version-location-toyot...
Dec 22, 2014 - 01030-PANSC-14C. 1. Entuneâ„¢. Premium. Audio. 13TDANNA-DA00_0193.kwi. * Essential SST. MULTIMEDIA SOFTWARE FILE DOWNLOAD.

[PDF]toyota - NHTSA
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10061295-2273.pdf
Dec 22, 2014 - 01030-PANSC-14C. 1 ... MULTIMEDIA SOFTWARE FILE DOWNLOAD ... Reference Documents - "Multimedia Software Download Instructions".

Toyota entune update download | pdfsea.net
www.pdfsea.net/result/toyota-entune-update-download
Toyota entune update download. ... Download the Entune ... Get Started with Entune . ... Update-Panasonic* 01030-PANSC-14C 1 Entune ... Filename: ...

Google this:
"01030-PANSC-14C" download
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 08:38:47 PM »
[PDF]Entune Audio Head Unit Software Update (Panasonic) - Toyota Nation ...
www.toyotanation.com/.../5114d1425671794-entune-software-version-location-toyot...
Dec 22, 2014 - 01030-PANSC-14C. 1. Entuneâ„¢. Premium. Audio. 13TDANNA-DA00_0193.kwi. * Essential SST. MULTIMEDIA SOFTWARE FILE DOWNLOAD.

[PDF]toyota - NHTSA
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10061295-2273.pdf
Dec 22, 2014 - 01030-PANSC-14C. 1 ... MULTIMEDIA SOFTWARE FILE DOWNLOAD ... Reference Documents - "Multimedia Software Download Instructions".

Toyota entune update download | pdfsea.net
www.pdfsea.net/result/toyota-entune-update-download
Toyota entune update download. ... Download the Entune ... Get Started with Entune . ... Update-Panasonic* 01030-PANSC-14C 1 Entune ... Filename: ...

Google this:

Those are just the pdfs. Already found those.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 09:04:27 PM »
Those are just the pdfs. Already found those.

Sorry, thought they might lead to the actual file.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 09:40:57 PM »
Sorry, thought they might lead to the actual file.

No problem, thanks for trying! :)

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 09:47:50 PM »
I wonder if there is a way to find a copy of it to download, perhaps a torrent?

Yeah, let's grab some software of unknown provenance and install it on the rolling computer we call a car.  Nothing could go wrong, nothing at all.

Chris

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 12:23:06 AM »
Yeah, let's grab some software of unknown provenance and install it on the rolling computer we call a car.  Nothing could go wrong, nothing at all.

Chris

You'll never get to go on a mystery GPS map adventure with an attitude like that. :P
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 12:50:08 AM »
Reminds me of the $150 that Nissan wants to update their GPS software. You can buy a freaking Garmin for that price and get free updates for life.  :facepalm:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 08:59:53 AM »
Reminds me of the $150 that Nissan wants to update their GPS software. You can buy a freaking Garmin for that price and get free updates for life.  :facepalm:

I think that's around what Toyota charges for their map updates as well. It does seem like they would get more people buying nav units if they did free or cheap map updates, given others doing the same, or just using Google maps or whatever. I have no intention of buying map updates given my other available options.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »
I think that's around what Toyota charges for their map updates as well. It does seem like they would get more people buying nav units if they did free or cheap map updates, given others doing the same, or just using Google maps or whatever. I have no intention of buying map updates given my other available options.

If I may, if you have to go to a dealer for some scheduled maint, why not call different ones and ask if they'll throw in updates for free while you're getting something else done? The updates literally cost the dealer nothing, it's pure profit. You may have to call around before you have one that plays ball, but at $100 ish for maps and/or head unit firmware, that's a decent amount of gas money.