Author Topic: Why ...  (Read 1545 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Why ...
« on: May 23, 2017, 07:04:20 PM »
... I don't have a Google account, and why I always prefer to pay cash.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-google-ads-tracking-20170523-story.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Regolith

• friend
Re: Why ...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 12:54:04 AM »
Who says you need a Google account? Ever go through the scripts being run by webpages these days? Google Analytics is very popular... [tinfoil]
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:02:26 AM »
I have been running script blocker at home on Firefox.  I see the same thing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:13:26 AM »
Slight tangent, but I have seen the Google on my phone become increasingly creepy.

Apparently the latest version of Chrome now gives "recommended web pages". When I first saw them popping up on the phone homepage, I thought, kinda neat, these are all things I'm really interested in. Then I started thinking it was a little creepy. Plus a couple of them had hijackers on them. If Google "recommends" something, it seems they should double check the links before including them.

Also, I've been getting a lot more popup notifications regarding where I've been and what I'm doing. I continually go into settings and turn that stuff off, but it seems to keep turning back on. Possibly whenever a Chrome update happens on the phone. Or, perhaps just coincidence, but this has also started happening since I got a tablet. I'm wondering if stuff on the tablet syncs to stuff on the phone, even if I keep turning all that stuff off.

Seems like lately, for everytime I say, "Man, this is really cool and helpful!" I twice say, "Man, this is getting intrusive and creepy."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 11:11:39 AM »
Google: What are you wearing today, Ben...

Ben: Why do you want to know, Google?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 12:06:24 PM »
Google: What are you wearing today, Ben...

Ben: Why do you want to know, Google?

Google: Ben your Toyota Entune was not working correctly, so we replaced it with Google Mobile.

Ben: What the %*^&$%*#^$
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 12:21:40 PM »
You guys have no idea just how on the money you are.  :laugh:

Coincidentally, just ten minutes ago, Google popped up a notification on the phone telling me what my commute time to work will be. I'm retired. And if I weren't retired, my work address would not be my realtor's office. One more "helper notification" deleted until it reinstalls itself.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »
Google: Ben your Toyota Entune was not working correctly, so we replaced it with Google Mobile.

Ben: What the %*^&$%*#^$

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 01:37:24 PM »
You guys have no idea just how on the money you are.  :laugh:

Coincidentally, just ten minutes ago, Google popped up a notification on the phone telling me what my commute time to work will be. I'm retired. And if I weren't retired, my work address would not be my realtor's office. One more "helper notification" deleted until it reinstalls itself.

Everything lives forever in the Cloud, Ben...

Compared to me, Vger is a piker... Or will be a piker. Or.... He'll suck. No matter what time, where, or when.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 05:58:16 PM »
Who says you need a Google account? Ever go through the scripts being run by webpages these days? Google Analytics is very popular... [tinfoil]

Yes, I know. That's why I have a browser add-on called "NO Google Analytics."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 06:09:51 PM »
I think it's cute you think Google Analytics is the only thing you need to worry about.

Storage is cheap and companies routinely store seemingly useless data in their "data lakes" with the intent of mining and correlating it into something they can make money from.  Google is just the name you know.  There are dozens more that you don't know about.

Enjoy your false privacy. :)

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 06:15:18 PM »
I think it's cute you think Google Analytics is the only thing you need to worry about.

Storage is cheap and companies routinely store seemingly useless data in their "data lakes" with the intent of mining and correlating it into something they can make money from.  Google is just the name you know.  There are dozens more that you don't know about.

Enjoy your false privacy. :)

Chris

Especially with the ISP rules now.

Though I'm a bit conflicted on it. While I don't like everyone gathering my data, it's hard to defend, "ISPs can't collect your data, but no problem if Google, Facebook, etc. do." Seems legally, the only fair thing is to apply rules equally, one way or the other.