Author Topic: bullet resistant goo, its new.  (Read 1245 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
bullet resistant goo, its new.
« on: May 24, 2017, 12:23:07 AM »
 :cool:

https://www.airforcetimes.com/articles/air-force-academy-cadet-creates-goo-that-stops-bullets

Air Force Cadet 1st Class Hayley Weir has developed a goo that, when struck by a bullet, hardens enough to stop it.

Weir came up with the idea during an Air Force Academy chemistry class, during which she was given three materials to combine in a way that could both stop a bullet without shattering. Weir experimented with epoxy, Kevlar and carbon fiber, and consulted with a chemist who suggested swapping out the epoxy for shear thickening fluid.
Quote from real clear life dot com - pretty interesting
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: bullet resistant goo, its new.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 01:24:10 AM »
The word is "thixotropic".  It's not new; I would be surprised if this is a new application of it, but I guess it might be.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 01:33:00 AM »
I can't shake the notion that I've read about similar stuff before.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 01:53:31 AM »
DARPA's been playing with it for body armor for years.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 04:22:49 AM »
I always thought "thixotropic" meant something thinned out when agitated, so I looked it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thixotropy

I thought this part of that wiki article  was amusing, and I hate to point it out because it will surely result in thread drift:

Both cytoplasm and the ground substance in the human body is thixotropic, as is semen.[1]

I wonder how they discovered that one. ??? :D

It (the Cadet's mixture) stopped "a" bullet.  Looked like a .22LR to me in the video, but hard to tell fer shore.

From the Air Force Times article: "The idea to separately use shear thickening fluid, Kevlar and carbon fibers as anti-ballistic materials is not new, but they’ve never been used together."

Add 3.8% of Silly Putty and they may have something there.

I'm not trying to diminish or nay-say the achievement, but it looks like the whole thing was puffed up a bit for some reason.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 04:36:44 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 07:16:18 AM »
DARPA's been playing with it for body armor for years.

There was a movie some years ago, can't remember what it was, that had "liquid body armor."

One of the characters got across a downed power line and was essentially frozen in place (but fine) because the armor reacted to the electricity and formed a shell, locking him in place.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 07:17:26 AM »
If you google liquid body armor you'll get hits going back quite a few years.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 07:43:30 AM »
Everything is bullet resistent if you're brave enough. 

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 08:12:35 AM »

Non-Newtonian fluids have been a thing for a while. Corn starch and water will make an excellent one for demo sake. Folks have been trying to make a body armor out of it for a long while. It hasn't been practical yet.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 10:08:32 AM »
Everything is bullet resistent if you're brave enough. 

Air is bullet resistant also.  It slows down bullets, just not very quickly.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 10:47:28 AM »
Everything is bullet resistant if you're brave enough.

(sorry, couldn't help myself)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 11:10:45 AM »
Why am I thinking that the body armor scene I'm describing was from a relatively recent (last 20 years or so) Bond movie?

Not sure if that's right or not, but it's sticking in my mind.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 11:32:17 AM »
I always thought "thixotropic" meant something thinned out when agitated, so I looked it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thixotropy
""
Both cytoplasm and the ground substance in the human body is thixotropic, as is semen.[1]""

Terry, 230RN

Probably some Marines discovered that one  :P
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."