Author Topic: On Autonomous Cars  (Read 3245 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: On Autonomous Cars
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 03:34:00 AM »
So as someone who rides bicycles and motorcycles on the public roads, I wonder how I and my colleagues will fit into the grand scheme of autonomous vehicles.

I wondered about two wheelers, too, in terms of the mechanics.  And they smack too much of independence to fit into the collective scheme.

So they'd probably handle it the way they handle any hairy-assed pursuit or hobby.  Gradually add restrictions until they were too much of a pain in the ass to own.

griz

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 07:41:46 AM »
One of the entrants in the first DARPA challenge was a motorcycle.  It can be done, but I agree that the attraction is that bikes are fun to ride, so automating it would have little appeal.

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 10:07:25 AM »
^ Wholly chit, mon !

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 12:36:11 PM »
1)  where does the rider sit ??
2) what happens if it has to stop (and it will have to at some point) ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 12:51:41 PM »
1)  where does the rider sit ??

(1) They'll miniaturize the rider, of course.
(2) Outriggers will pop out.  OR, training wheels will be required.

Or, thinking ahead, maybe they'll have to retrofit gyrostabilizers.

As Ben said, I too, am concerned with the immediacy with which all this is being touted.

Sounds to me like another Lobbyist Boondoggle, where powerful forces are trying to push their products, as usual.  Maybe they're rushing it to slip it into us before the more conservative elements in the lawmaking industry can gather their wits.

Such as they are at present.  ;/

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:05:56 PM by 230RN »

griz

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2017, 10:56:46 PM »
1)  where does the rider sit ??

1 The DARPA challenge was to get a driverless vehicle to successfully travel a course  of varied terrain.  They figured that sort of technology would be useful for military applications since a supply truck takes away a driver from other duties, thus the government interest.  So there was never an intention to have a rider.

2 Stopping was an issue.  The first year their attempt ended when they tipped over near the beginning.  They developed a self righting system, sort of like deployable outriggers.  The second year they used those and righted themselves a couple times, but eventually got stuck when they tipped over in an awkward spot.  The four wheeled competitors only had to work on "seeing" the terrain instead of worrying about falling over, which ended up being a better strategy.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2017, 10:46:16 AM »
1 The DARPA challenge was to get a driverless vehicle to successfully travel a course  of varied terrain.  They figured that sort of technology would be useful for military applications since a supply truck takes away a driver from other duties, thus the government interest.  So there was never an intention to have a rider.
And if they have to detail 3 more soldiers to maintenance of the driverless vehicle's guidance system?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2017, 11:46:36 AM »
That test site looks familiar. Anyone know where it is?