Author Topic: LED Shoplights (again)  (Read 3115 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
LED Shoplights (again)
« on: May 25, 2017, 10:56:05 AM »
Looks like the ballast is going out in one of the fluorescent shop lights in my basement, so I figured I'd check on LEDs again, and these caught my eye.

https://www.amazon.com/Hykolity-Utility-Integrated-Equivalent-Daylight/dp/B06XFZ291F/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1495722501&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=led+shop+light&psc=1

Anyone familiar with them? Only 3 reviews, but similar styles from other manufacturers get decent reviews for light distribution.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: LED Shoplights (again)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 11:14:40 AM »
Not familiar with that one, but I'm quite happy with the one that Costco sells.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 11:21:42 AM »
Not familiar with that one, but I'm quite happy with the one that Costco sells.

What, the linkable Feit ones that are $60 a pop?

My mistake. They're $30 a piece because they're sold in a 2 pack.

One of these days I'll actually go next door and join the Costco.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 11:32:48 AM »
What, the linkable Feit ones that are $60 a pop?

My mistake. They're $30 a piece because they're sold in a 2 pack.

One of these days I'll actually go next door and join the Costco.

They just have it as a single pack at my Costco, but it's also been on sale at least twice that I remember. I can't remember the sale price.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 01:07:42 PM »

I have ones at home that can be daisy chained. I'll snag you the model # when I get home. Own a ton of them, and one in the garage I've left on as essentially a night light for the past six months with no problem.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 03:37:59 PM »
I'm not worried about being able to chain them together. It's not important, because I hardwired outlets at ceiling level for them. years ago.

I just like the very simple form factor of the ones I asked about. And I have the option of either hanging or surface mounting, which I like.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 05:29:02 PM »
Only thing I can think of is the lack of reflector. We are doing a huge lighting update in some of our storage areas and the fixtures with no reflector give noticeably less usable light in the illuminated space. Doesn't Herm Derpoo have a 4' reflector style unit for about $40?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 07:13:25 AM »
It appears from the reviews that the lack of reflectors isn't that big of a deal.

And, if the emitters are directional, a reflector really wouldn't be needed.

I'm probably going to order at least one to see what it's like.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 11:40:06 PM »
And, if the emitters are directional, a reflector really wouldn't be needed.

It would be quite easy to design them so that all the LEDs are facing down, and the diffuser is what's deflecting enough light up so that you don't have a dark ceiling if you look up.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 07:04:50 AM »
I will admit the "dark ceiling" effect can be take a little getting used to.

Last year I replaced the hall lights in my house with integrated LED fixtures. They're boob type lights, flush mount to the ceiling, with all the emitters pointing straight down.

I also put three of the same light type in my kitchen to replace the 4" fluorescent tube fixture that was in there.

I'm EXTREMELY happy with the change in that there's a lot more light, and much better quality, in the halls and in the kitchen, but the "dark ceiling" effect is there, especially in the kitchen. It's not remendous, but you really notice it when you open the cabinets.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 04:40:19 PM »
I put these in my basement last year and I've been very happy with them. They're much brighter than I expected, I was figuring I'd replace 1 fluorescent fixture with 2 of these but they ended up being bright enough that I didn't need to. So I ended up with spares and it's nice to have the switches to use on the ones that didn't get hardwired.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 04:55:05 PM »
If you really want bright high-quality light, you might want to look for T5 fluorescent "high bay" fixtures.  They are almost as efficient as LED.  4-lamp fixtures with bulbs are about $100 and the prices keep dropping.

I think these were $125 when I bought mine 2 or 3 years ago:  https://relightdepot.com/light-fixtures/high-bay-lighting/t5ho-high-bay/4-lamp-t5ho-low-profile-enclosed-high-bay.html
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:32:12 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 06:48:45 AM »
I never got around to ordering these. The light I thought was losing the ballast turned out to be toying with me. It's settled down and hasn't been an issue since.

When I get the wall moved in the basement, which will give me an area where I can set up a permanent loading bench, I'll get an LED shoplight at that time.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 10:34:20 PM »
I got three for Christmas from my parents. (At my request)

The biggest thing for me is no more 60hz hum constantly in the background.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 09:04:45 AM »
There is a very high and poorly made shelf with a fluorescent light above my workbench in the garage.  One of my winter projects is to remove the shelf and put something lower with a new shop light under. 
Probably going with cabinets up there.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »
I got three for Christmas from my parents. (At my request)

The biggest thing for me is no more 60hz hum constantly in the background.

If I spent more time in my basement (which I'll do when I get the reloading area set back up), I'll likely replace the fluorescent fixtures then because 2 of the 3 sound like a heard of cicadas the humming is so bad.

It gets a bit better when they warm up, but it's always there.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 09:11:48 AM »
"There is a very high...shelf..."

Must... not... make... obvious... joke!

When I installed undercabinet lighting in my kitchen a few years ago I wanted to go with LEDs. I ended up going with GE linkable Slimline fluorescents because the difference in price was so dramatic. The fluorescent fixtures I got were right around $100, but had I gone with the LEDs that were available at Home Depot the cost would have been closer to $250, IIRC. I just couldn't justify that much extra money.

I'm not sure what I'll do on the other side of the kitchen when I do those lights because LED prices for the undercabinet units have dropped significantly, and it's getting harder to find the GE Slimlines.

Wiring them is going to be a much bigger challenge because that's the firewall between the units and there's not much room to run anything between the drywall and the concrete block.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 09:35:51 AM »
"There is a very high...shelf..."

Must... not... make... obvious... joke!

When I installed undercabinet lighting in my kitchen a few years ago I wanted to go with LEDs. I ended up going with GE linkable Slimline fluorescents because the difference in price was so dramatic. The fluorescent fixtures I got were right around $100, but had I gone with the LEDs that were available at Home Depot the cost would have been closer to $250, IIRC. I just couldn't justify that much extra money.

I'm not sure what I'll do on the other side of the kitchen when I do those lights because LED prices for the undercabinet units have dropped significantly, and it's getting harder to find the GE Slimlines.

Wiring them is going to be a much bigger challenge because that's the firewall between the units and there's not much room to run anything between the drywall and the concrete block.

Short jokes aside, the ceiling in the garage is like 17'.  The shelf over the workbench area is at like 12', completely stupid. They nailed it into the wall, too, which is wholly unacceptable.
Not worried about true undercabinet lights, as if I can get cabinets up there it's garage storage anyway.  With better weather or at least "normal" winter weather it'll be time for me to start hunting for them so I can get this done soon.   
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 09:56:19 AM »
17 foot ceiling? Holy crap! What were they planning on doing, stacking their cars?

Hell, with that much room you could put a half loft in and put your reloading room in it.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »
17 foot ceiling? Holy crap! What were they planning on doing, stacking their cars?

Hell, with that much room you could put a half loft in and put your reloading room in it.

House sits a little higher up, it's kind of a weird layout.  6 steps up from the garage to the house.  Gives me a huge ass garage though  =D
JD

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 01:22:31 PM »
17 foot ceiling? Holy crap!
Leprauchans have small feet. It is 8 standard feet.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 08:41:44 AM »
Leprauchans have small feet. It is 8 standard feet.

Ah... of course.

:rofl:

motojim515

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 09:07:48 AM »
... Probably going with cabinets up there.

If you are looking for cabinets and able to deal with ones that don't match anything else you have, I suggest checking out Habitat for Humanity stores and looking at the kitchen cabinets they have. The prices, in my experience, are good at the various centers I have been to. YMMV

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 09:11:56 AM »
If you are looking for cabinets and able to deal with ones that don't match anything else you have, I suggest checking out Habitat for Humanity stores and looking at the kitchen cabinets they have. The prices, in my experience, are good at the various centers I have been to. YMMV

We have a couple HH stores in the area.  My workbench is built from cabinets that came out of a house getting demo'd. 
Not worried about matching, I'll paint them anyways.

JD