Author Topic: Who hasn't wanted to body slam a journalist?  (Read 13528 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Who hasn't wanted to body slam a journalist?
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 06:39:11 PM »
Semi-related: Texas governor Abbott makes a small joke; the usual suspects hyperventilate:

http://www.newsweek.com/texas-governor-greg-abbott-makes-joke-about-shooting-reporters-616403

The unrelenting Republican assault on the free press continued on Friday when Greg Abbott, the Republican governor of Texas, joked about shooting journalists.

;/

It's an unrelenting assault!  Making jokes hurts reporters' feelings!  Abbott == Hitler!

After signing the fee-lowering bill, Abbott went to a gun range to show off his own prowess with firearms. Later, as he displayed his target sheet, he said, "I'm gonna carry this around in case I see any reporters."

He didn't even joke about shooting journalists.  He only said he was going to show them his target.

If the media's skin got any thinner, they'd be transparent.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 07:17:31 PM »
But talking about blowing up the White House or killing Trump is okay.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 09:09:52 PM »
If a bully pushes someone hard enough for long enough, eventually the bullied will break and fight back.

*shrug* The right/Conservative/republican/libertarian side of politics has been bullied by the media and the left to the point of breaking. I'm not saying it's okay for any side to throw punches, but I'm not surprised, nor am I going to feel bad for the idiots getting punched.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 09:33:08 PM »
I'm not surprised, nor am I going to feel bad for the idiots getting punched.
I saw similar reactions from the left when that 'nazi' got punched. That guy didn't deserve to get punched because he has unpopular opinions. This guy didn't deserve to get body slammed because 'the media' is bad. I'm not too surprised either,  but I am disappointed both by the incident itself and the tribalism evident in defending and rationalizing it.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2017, 12:29:56 AM »
dittohead

This was a media event, getting asked questions is not an excuse to assault people.

CITE!!??

afaik it was an ambush, not a media event iirc he was walking to a plane or a car or something
Wouldn't a "media event" have a video?

the dinosaur media is making this to be he was upset with the question, and no, you're wrong about this happening all the time.
it does not happen to goodthinkers it only happens to wrongthinkers.

This guy didn't deserve to get body slammed
oh, he deserved it alright, the fact is, he didn't really get body slammed - they fell - the cops would have had to charge him with something more serious if it was indeed a body slam- a body slam would have resulted in something more serious than broken glasses there are no cuts/scrapes/bruises etc.

but I am disappointed both by the incident itself and the tribalism evident in defending and rationalizing it.

I do not think you are disappointed at all, I think you're enjoying picking on those horrible bullies that dislike having their personal space violated.
Tribalism? indeed, the establishment tribe is trying to make falling over into brown shirt violence.
Rationalizing? Really?, when people rationalize that something is ok do they apologize for it?
If I or anyone else was actually rationalizing it, why would they say "i am glad he apologized"
Nope, the way I see it you are purposely confusing "rationalizing" with "understanding" or "sympathy".
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2017, 12:45:53 AM »
I saw similar reactions from the left when that 'nazi' got punched. That guy didn't deserve to get punched because he has unpopular opinions. This guy didn't deserve to get body slammed because 'the media' is bad. I'm not too surprised either,  but I am disappointed both by the incident itself and the tribalism evident in defending and rationalizing it.

The media is bad. Case in point. I heard about this incident on the AP news slot when I was listening to the rock station that actually plays mostly music. In the mornings, the news is two or three one minute segments with one, maybe two stories mentioned.
In less than a minute, this story was made out to be the biggest news story of the week *AND* biased reporting since it never once mentioned that the attack was provoked. Seriously, it was made out like the reporter was meekly asking a question and got a WWF beat down.
Then (because that wasn't biased enough) the report insinuating that the race would be lost by the republican because of the incident.
All in a segment that was BARELY a minute long.

Compared that to the fact that I have to go on FB or here to find out about all the Antifi attacks on people they don't like.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2017, 01:20:24 AM »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2017, 01:29:03 AM »

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2017, 07:52:25 AM »
dittohead CITE!!??
afaik it was an ambush, not a media event iirc he was walking to a plane or a car or something
Wouldn't a "media event" have a video?

???
Did you actually read the eye witness account? It makes the setting & situation quite clear. Video was being setup.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/24/greg-gianforte-fox-news-team-witnesses-gop-house-candidate-body-slam-reporter.html
As I said before, this account corroborates the Guardian reporters account and the audio recording does as well.
You can claim everyone except Gianforte is lying about what happened I guess. If that does turn out to be the case I will admit to be dead wrong but for now I'm going to go with the multiple witnesses.

he didn't really get body slammed - they fell - the cops would have had to charge him with something more serious if it was indeed a body slam- a body slam would have resulted in something more serious than broken glasses there are no cuts/scrapes/bruises etc.
If they fell what does Gianforte have to be sorry for? Why would anyone be glad he apologized for falling down?
In the very first post you called it (the alleged assault) a proper response, have you come to a different conclusion that it never happened now?

I think you're enjoying picking on those horrible bullies that dislike having their personal space violated.
You caught me, after I won the war on Christmas I needed a new cause so I'm trolling the internet on the front lines of the new war on personal space.

Rationalizing? Really?, when people rationalize that something is ok do they apologize for it?
If I or anyone else was actually rationalizing it, why would they say "i am glad he apologized"
How can you seriously claim this when the title of the thread is Who hasn't wanted to body slam a journalist? :facepalm:
This is rationalizing:
the reporter was violating basic personal space-there is not much to this story except an idiot reaping what he sowed

In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2017, 10:10:21 AM »
I want to body slamm fox news reporters all the time, more than half are morons, except Katie Pavlich - but she is a contributor. not really a fox news reporter.

where where where are all the cuts/scrapes/bruises?
the poor guardian transgressor was wearing a motorcycle racing suit or something?
I broke my glasses by sitting down in a chair!

The cops are on the side of the brown shirt wrongthinker? if not why are they not charging him with a serious offense?

fox news idiots can be just as stupid as msnbc .

We should not let people be reporters unless they can survive a gauntlet and cage fight. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2017, 10:40:51 AM »
There are many times I'd like to administer some tar and feathers to certain reporters . . . and, for that matter, politicians of BOTH major parties.

But I'd settle for smacking them in the face with a whipped cream pie.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2017, 10:48:34 AM »

But I'd settle for smacking them in the face with a whipped cream pie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCNzFn_Oxds
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2017, 12:10:45 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2017, 12:43:54 PM »
Apparently I'm in the minority here being opposed to violence as a political tool.
 =(
I saw this comment from the last page.  I agree.  The media should stop provoking violence and using violence as a tool. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2017, 12:47:56 PM »
IMO, this incident is a very good example of how unpopular the media has become as well as how the media loves to do everything they can to provoke violence short of outright violence themselves.  They have been doing the latter for a long time.  Like a kid holding their finger in your face saying "I'm not touching you!". 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2017, 01:20:06 PM »
IMO, this incident is a very good example of how unpopular the media has become as well as how the media loves to do everything they can to provoke violence short of outright violence themselves.  They have been doing the latter for a long time.  Like a kid holding their finger in your face saying "I'm not touching you!". 

WBC tactics. If they can't find a story, they'll make one.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2017, 07:41:40 PM »
His glasses have been donated to the media museum in DC. Regardless of what Gianforte did, this is absolutely ridiculous. Again, this is how you get Trump.

http://twitchy.com/sd-3133/2017/05/30/this-is-ridiculous-ben-jacobs-donates-gianforted-glasses-to-newseum/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2017, 07:50:00 PM »
I wonder how many gallons of liberal tears have been donated?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2017, 08:02:55 PM »
How can you seriously claim this when the title of the thread is Who hasn't wanted to body slam a journalist? :facepalm:

I hope you've calmed down since you said the above. The thread title is obviously an expression of the id, not a defense of Gianforte's actions. We can (most of us) sympathize with the urge to punch lefties. That doesn't amount to a defense of actually punching them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2017, 08:25:18 PM »
I hope you've calmed down since you said the above. The thread title is obviously an expression of the id, not a defense of Gianforte's actions
Outright defending his actions would be pretty tough but there have been plenty of excuses & rationalizations and some weird deflections thrown in too. I'm a little surprised no one managed to pin this on Obama or George Soros some how.

I will give Gianforte credit for his apology. He took personal responsibility for his actions and admitted he was wrong. He didn't try to blame the reporter, the left, the leftist media, or anyone else for his actions.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2017, 07:18:09 AM »
Obviously you should not put your hands on someone if they are bothering you until there is a legitimate self defense reason.

However and this isn't really a defense, more of a question or questions. As I understand it in this case the "journalist" walked into a closed room uninvited, then refused to leave while aggressively shoving a recorder(phone) into Gianforte's face. First are you allowed to eject someone from a place they have no right to be? Second we have all seen videos of reporters aggressively invading the personal space of people shoving microphones and cameras in their faces. While I doubt most courts would consider that to be a reason for self defense or pushing someone away, maybe they should. I'm not sure where in our laws a "journalist" or anyone else has the right to invade personal space and shove objects of any kind in the face of someone. It is an aggressive act, period. Whether it warrants a physical response is what needs to be determined; I'm not sure in some cases if it doesn't actually justify a physical response to stop the behavior. The first amendment gives freedom of the press, it doesn't give the press freedom to harass someone.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2017, 07:48:16 AM »
Obviously you should not put your hands on someone if they are bothering you until there is a legitimate self defense reason.

Honestly, while I get that it's not legal to put your hands on somebody until you hit the self defense threshold, I'm not sure you shouldn't.  The guy was being an ass, and that should have consequences.  In this case he was an ass, and the consequence was broken glasses and maybe a bruise.  Next time don't be an ass.

You know: Be part of a Polite Society.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2017, 10:00:29 AM »
Honestly, while I get that it's not legal to put your hands on somebody until you hit the self defense threshold, I'm not sure you shouldn't.  The guy was being an ass, and that should have consequences.  In this case he was an ass, and the consequence was broken glasses and maybe a bruise.  Next time don't be an ass.

You know: Be part of a Polite Society.

That was kind of the point of my whole second paragraph ... I'm not sold that reporters being aggressive can justify putting hands on them, but I think an argument can be made that one maybe should be allowed to push away someone being aggressive/harassing in their personal space. We don't seem to have issues legally speaking with bodyguards for celebrities for example pushing fans and media away from the principals when they get to close or are engaging in a harassing or aggressive manner. I can see a a parallel here.

This certainly was not just a case of Gianforte just "body slamming the reporter for asking a question" as most of the coverage seems to say. There is a whole lot more context here. In Gianforte's best interest at this time however is probably to proceed as he did with the apology and try to negotiate a minimum legal settlement to move past this with minimal legal repercussions.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2017, 10:24:57 AM »
We don't seem to have issues legally speaking with bodyguards for celebrities for example pushing fans and media away from the principals when they get to close or are engaging in a harassing or aggressive manner. I can see a a parallel here.

Exactly; and if a bodyguard can go hands-on at that level without a clear threat, why can a public figure not act as their own bodyguard?

I do wonder where it would go if the bodyguard pushes and the fan stays firmly rooted; how far can they escalate without an actual threat before the guards start getting arrested?  One of the aikido instructors I've studied a bit with is a pretty solid guy to start with, and when he's being the uncooperative uke to force someone to find the right way to do a technique, you might as well be trying to push a granite statue around.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2017, 10:26:07 AM »
We don't seem to have issues legally speaking with bodyguards for celebrities for example pushing fans and media away from the principals when they get to close or are engaging in a harassing or aggressive manner. I can see a a parallel here.

MikeB beat me to the punch, but yes, excellent point.

Edit: I need to stop posting before my second cup of coffee in the morning. I thought MikeB was responding to the bodyguard thing, but he originated it. He didn't beat me to the punch, because I didn't think of it until he brought it up. :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:40:23 AM by Ben »