Author Topic: On the August Total Eclipse  (Read 4306 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
On the August Total Eclipse
« on: May 25, 2017, 02:01:15 PM »
Just saw this in my news feed from Idaho:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44372711&nid=148&title=500k-people-expected-to-travel-to-witness-eclipse-idaho-officials-say

I wasn't thinking about how it would strain resources there (and likely other prime viewing areas).

My plan was going to be the usual Utah-Idaho fishing trip in AUG, ending up around Island Park or else a really cool forest service cabin I discovered up on the mountain at eclipse time. It sounds like it's going to be downtown Los Angeles at rush hour though. I'm going to need to look at some contingency locations in case that whole area turns into a madhouse.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: On the August Total Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 02:21:28 PM »
You'll be safe.  The looky-loos will stick to major roads and Starbucks parking lots.  If you are more than 100 yards off the road, they will never know you are there.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 03:01:06 PM »
It's coming right over my house. Total darkness.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »
We've been planning to drive up from UT to ID that day to see it. Need to figure out how to avoid the I-15 mess that will exist though . . . not a lot of alternate routes.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 03:52:34 PM »
We're planning to head to Tennessee that day. Already have our eclipse glasses.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 08:00:11 PM »
Wow. The camping locations I was looking at are all booked up. I'll need to look at an offroad drive to a place to pitch a tent, or else find a motel at least 2-3 hours away and then drive in. 20-21AUG are booked at the Best Western in Idaho Falls, and for 21-22AUG, they're asking $1350/night.

You read that right. A freakin' Best Western, in Idaho, wants $1350 for one night.  I'm really curious if they'll get it. I'd be assuming it will be foreign money. I can only imagine what the traffic will be if the motels feel they can charge that premium.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 08:12:21 PM »
For $ 1350/night, they better be providing a hooker, blow, a nice ribeye and a bottle of Quilceda Creek cabernet.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 09:44:09 PM »
For $ 1350/night, they better be providing a hooker, blow, a nice ribeye and a bottle of Quilceda Creek cabernet.

More likely just a free herd of bedbugs to take home.

I scheduled time off for this 6 months ago and may still day trip someplace I can see and photograph it but the hype and the sheer number of *expletive deleted*ing morons people converging has me reconsidering a trip.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 10:02:25 PM »
More likely just a free herd of bedbugs to take home.

I scheduled time off for this 6 months ago and may still day trip someplace I can see and photograph it but the hype and the sheer number of *expletive deleted*ing morons people converging has me reconsidering a trip.

You ain't kiddin'. I was planning mine around going fishing in Utah and Idaho anyway that time of the year. I'll see how things look closer to the date, but I'm almost thinking if I can't find a place to 4x4 into that will have a skyview and where I can stay till the day after the hubub, I might reconsider and watch it on the interwebz. I don't really wanna be sitting in a CA style traffic jam driving to it from somewhere else.

It might be kinda hilarious if clouds rolled in. Rain and thunderstorms aren't uncommon in that part of Idaho at that time.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 10:12:31 PM »
Also, here's a screengrab of the rate, because I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it myself:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 11:01:43 PM »
20-21AUG are booked at the Best Western in Idaho Falls, and for 21-22AUG, they're asking $1350/night.

How many Eclipses (Eclipsii ??)  Are we supposed to get.  And a guy down the street from me is headed down to Southern Illinois to watch it.  I gave him directions to get to our old Deer Camp site, where he and his crew can watch the 'clipse away from the maddening crowds.

P.S.Went and check on Hotels.com.  Last remaining rooms down there are going for $305 a night.  And this is in the $39.95/ night fleabag hotel.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 04:14:20 AM »
Didn't know that there was one happening. Apparently it will only be a partial here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_August_21,_2017
The longest eclipse in this series will occur on June 25, 2522 and last for 7 minutes and 12 seconds.
I'll be sure to mark my calendar. :rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 03:11:32 PM »
Ahhhh, now I get why there are no rooms down there.  And he'll be in a prime spot at our old deer camp for viewing.

Goreville, Illinois - View the eclipse with the University of Illinois Astronomy Department.
*   (This is town closest to our old Deer Camp site.)

I hope everyone enjoys their few minutes of (partial) darkness...

*- From the link Freakzoid posted.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 10:45:21 PM by Amy Schumer »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• friend

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 05:54:20 PM »
The path of totality goes right over my in-laws property...   Guess where we'll be watching from :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 01:27:39 AM »
I read that the Oregon State Parks department sold out of every single campsite, cabin, RV site, and all other overnight accommodations within 1 hour of the dates of the eclipse becoming available to reserve.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 10:55:08 AM »
Man. I'm now really considering sitting this out, or maybe being just outside the edge of the total eclipse zone and being a 99 percenter. It looks like even getting gas will be an issue.

On my last road trip, I found some really cool lakes in the cascades on a fairly rough 4WD road. I only saw one other vehicle that day and it was primitive camping (i.e., not listed on rec.gov or Oregon Parks websites) by and along all the lakes, which are smack in the middle of the eclipse path. I might consider overnighting there, but who knows how many other people with appropriate vehicles are thinking that same thing, especially on a weekend. The road is barely wide enough for one vehicle and there are few turnouts. If only 50 people show up, it could be worse than a packed freeway. Too bad the eclipse wasn't in the middle of the week - it might have reduced traffic by a couple of million people.  :laugh:

Of course this could be the worst case scenario road debacle as projected, or it could be a big nothing burger.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/07/21/solar-eclipse-day-craziness-could-resemble-zombie-apocalypse-are-ready.html
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:16:14 AM by Ben »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 10:57:36 AM »
I ordered my 10 pack of eclipse glasses from Amazon.

That pretty much guarantees that it's going to be heavily overcast and/or monsooning.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »
There's supposed to be another total eclipse in the U.S., in 2024. Is it a bit too early to book lodgings for that one?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2017, 12:20:34 PM »
It's passing right over our heads at my place. Work is even planning a little party and bought several hundred eclipse glasses so everyone in the warehouse would have a pair.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 08:05:12 PM »
What the hell are eclipse glasses?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 08:26:15 PM »
What the hell are eclipse glasses?
Glasses dark enough and UV protective enough  to allow direct viewing of the sun. Even a partially or mostly obscured sun can cause eye damage unless protection is used.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 09:44:05 PM »
Shade 14 welding goggles.  (13 is marginal)  Anything stronger than 12 is sometimes hard to find, but the numbers are additive -- you can stack an 8 and a 6 to get 14.

You can actually skip the goggles and just cup the lens in your hands to view the sun.  That's what I did when we had an almost-total eclipse in the 1990's and I found out about it just a couple of hours before.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2017, 10:32:15 PM »
Had dinner with Son2 today and he gave me a pair.  He's going up north to see the totality, but he mentioned that it would be 90% here and he'd feel better with me having that protection.  They really are dark.

Funny how the roles have been reversed.  Now he's taking care of me.   :rofl::old: