Author Topic: On the August Total Eclipse  (Read 4317 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: On the August Total Eclipse
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2017, 11:48:34 PM »
Had dinner with Son2 today and he gave me a pair.  He's going up north to see the totality, but he mentioned that it would be 90% here and he'd feel better with me having that protection.  They really are dark.

Funny how the roles have been reversed.  Now he's taking care of me.   :rofl::old:

I love my kids but the thought of them having to take care of me scares the hell out of me.

I had originally made plans to drive up to somewhere in the path of totality. On second thought after imagining what a *expletive deleted*ing zoo anyplace worth going to is gonna be I decided to stay home and enjoy the 90% we are getting.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2017, 08:03:08 AM »
Forget hotels. You should see what PARKING SPACES are going for.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2017, 11:24:56 PM »
Glasses dark enough and UV protective enough  to allow direct viewing of the sun. Even a partially or mostly obscured sun can cause eye damage unless protection is used.
So I can just use my speed glass helmet? Do idea how dark that really is.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2017, 11:43:15 PM »
Depends.  Eclipse glasses are cheap, though if you have any doubt.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2017, 11:58:23 PM »

1) Not all helmets go up to #14.

2) I don't think your helmet will auto-darken when you point it at the sun. It's one of the first things I tried with mine. It would sometimes darken, but not stay that way. Or from what I read and worse, it will repeatedly activate/deactivate almost too fast for you to notice, but slow enough to damage your eyes if you are staring at the sun.

Probably better to just buy the glasses or do as Bob suggested and just buy a #14 (or a couple of #7) regular lenses at the welding shop. Don't bother with Amazon - they seem to have joined in on the solar $$$ fun and even welding lenses are suddenly overpriced.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 09:45:51 PM »
Ha ha - the eclipse path is Trump's fault.  :rofl:

http://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2017/08/01/piping-hot-boston-globe-take-sun-moon-might-as-well-wear-maga-hats-next-month/

He's a wealthy man, with properties all over the place, and tax-payer provided housing in D.C. Yet the journos let him live in their heads. Sad!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 11:33:06 PM »
1) Not all helmets go up to #14.

2) I don't think your helmet will auto-darken when you point it at the sun. It's one of the first things I tried with mine. It would sometimes darken, but not stay that way. Or from what I read and worse, it will repeatedly activate/deactivate almost too fast for you to notice, but slow enough to damage your eyes if you are staring at the sun.

Probably better to just buy the glasses or do as Bob suggested and just buy a #14 (or a couple of #7) regular lenses at the welding shop. Don't bother with Amazon - they seem to have joined in on the solar $$$ fun and even welding lenses are suddenly overpriced.
I'll have to see if I can find the shade level on it. I know I don't use it turned up to the darkest setting. And if you fiddle with the sensitivity it will darken if you look up from your work outdoors.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2017, 08:44:30 AM »
And you know that if totality passed over only Hillary voting areas they would be going absolutely apeshit because "their sun is being cut off" by the evil Trump-leaning sun.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2017, 04:15:02 PM »
I love my kids but the thought of them having to take care of me scares the hell out of me.

Which is why I give really cool presents to my great-nephews.  I want them to smuggle booze into my nursing home for me.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2017, 10:33:53 PM »
According to Travelocity, hotel prices in St Louis haven't changed, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of empty rooms. That's about 60-90 minutes from various points along the totality.

Hotels in or near St. Clair or De Soto are full up.

We're going to head over to St. Clair. I don't know what kind of crowds to expect.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2017, 03:17:25 AM »

Trump's fault.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2017, 06:02:50 AM »
Just checked to see what if anything (besides clouds 'n such) would interfere with my view from my balconies.

Just FYI in case you need to know in advance, for Denver, ~105° W, ~40° N, 21 Aug 2017, 11:57 AM MDT, the sun will be at Elevation ~58°, Azimuth ~145°, 90% totality. Oh, the moon, too.

Total event will be from 10:23 AM to 1:14 PM MDT.

I reckon the moon will in fact be in totality. :)  Nyuck-nyuck-nyuck.

'Course, you can guess at it pretty good, too, but them's the numbers iff'n you need 'em for instrumentation or whatever.

I meant to mention this again.  The last full one we were in a woodsy area and it was spooky when everything went black because all the forest creatures suddenly shut up.

Weather near Golden; I didn't check for Denver proper:
Monday: A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a high near 72.  

What filter number do clouds have?   Nyuck-nyuck-nyuck.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:38:46 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2017, 08:25:42 AM »
I got enough glasses for all the grandkids and kids and wife and I. I think we're gonna do a BBQ event for the afternoon.  Only one that has to work is my son in law.

Current forecast calls for clear skies for our 90.7% eclipse.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams