Author Topic: Score one for "cyber sleuths"  (Read 2121 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Score one for "cyber sleuths"
« on: May 25, 2017, 09:44:38 PM »
The guy in the mask who cold conked somebody with a bike lock at the Berkeley demonstration a couple of months ago? They got him.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Former-professor-arrested-in-beating-at-Berkeley-11174575.php

I read an article in which a bunch of geeks went through their process in figuring out who he is -- and I guess the cops were convinced enough of the cyber evidence that they arrested the loser.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Score one for "cyber sleuths"
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 10:02:18 PM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 10:19:28 PM »
My money is he will get it plea bargained down to something like disorderly conduct and get off with a slap on the wrist and a wink and a nod from some POS liberal prosecutor and judge.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 10:30:23 PM »
Looks like three charges of assault and $200k in bail.   I'm betting that if he does plea down, he's still looking at a year or more in jail.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 10:36:23 PM »
Either way he'll still be a martyr/hero of the left.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 12:27:52 AM »
Either way he'll still be a martyr/hero of the left.

. . . and his cellmate's pull toy.
                         - Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 02:02:26 AM »
At the risk of beating the subject to death*, Berkeley's homicide unit has been working the case:

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/867924165617111040/pu/vid/640x360/dMNib7bNX8Ymp0GK.mp4

*heh
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 07:15:54 AM »
Professor of ethics, no less. How special is that?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 08:22:35 AM »
It is entirely ethical to wage violence on those with whom you disagree.

But if they defend themselves?

Well, guns are bad, Republicans are the Klan, and that's all triggering and hurty.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 08:49:29 AM »
Do not attract 4chan's attention to yourself.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 07:51:00 AM »
He had a month to get rid of all the incriminating stuff...and yet. Not sure if stupid or just arrogant.

“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 08:56:14 AM »
He had a month to get rid of all the incriminating stuff...and yet. Not sure if stupid or just arrogant.

"U-locks" plural?

And note they used his phone to pinpoint his location at the time in question.  If you're going to do that kind of stuff, leave your phone somewhere uninteresting.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 10:38:44 AM »
Or at least turn off GPS.

I don't plan to do anything illegal, but I set my phone to turn off GPS just because I don't think it's any of Verizon's or anyone else's business where I am at any particular time. Yes, I suppose they can still triangulate off nearby cell towers, but the choice is to not carry the phone. (Which would be a good choice if you plan on committing a felony).

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »
Or at least turn off GPS.

I don't plan to do anything illegal, but I set my phone to turn off GPS just because I don't think it's any of Verizon's or anyone else's business where I am at any particular time. Yes, I suppose they can still triangulate off nearby cell towers, but the choice is to not carry the phone. (Which would be a good choice if you plan on committing a felony).

Turning off the GPS, location services, or even the phone itself will only keep people like Google from tracking you. For LE/Alphabet: Pull battery or Faraday cage or leave the phone somewhere else.  [tinfoil]
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »
Pull battery

What about the other battery?   [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »
I would leave the phone at house, to help with my alibi.  ;)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 12:17:32 PM »
What about the other battery?   [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

Have they arrived yet? Let us know when you want us to bring you the cake with the file in it.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 12:59:04 PM »

People think I'm crazy for ONLY buying phones with externally accessible batteries (and MicroSD slots). There's so many reasons why you would want tool less access to the battery, and very few of why you would not want to. But yes, "battery out conversations or activities" is a fairly big thing.

Even if there is another battery on the phone, which there usually isn't, it'd have to be the same size as the removable battery. There's usually a very tiny battery or capacitor to maintain the clock time, but I haven't bothered looking it up for phones and tablets. It doesn't have enough power to run a cell modem.

Prof was not a very good revolutionary.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 01:22:06 PM »
People think I'm crazy for ONLY buying phones with externally accessible batteries (and MicroSD slots).

My tinfoil tightly in place, it's actually a major factor of why I'm still on my S5, as Samsung went back to "non-removable" batteries on the later units. I haven't looked lately. Maybe the S8 is removable?

Plus call me old-fashioned, but I like the option of hassle free popping a new battery in if the old one degrades after a couple of years. That was no big deal when I was working, as I was getting a new phone every two years anyway. Nowadays though, I'd be happy if my S5 is useable another 3-4 years.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 01:32:27 PM »
I'm still sputtering along with a Galaxy S3 (or SIII). Verizon keeps pestering me to upgrade, and I just don't see any compelling reason to do so.

Especially if the new models don't have user-serviceable batteries. That was a factor in choosing the S3.

PS: The Galaxy S8 battery is non-removable.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 01:53:03 PM »
My tinfoil tightly in place, it's actually a major factor of why I'm still on my S5, as Samsung went back to "non-removable" batteries on the later units. I haven't looked lately. Maybe the S8 is removable?

Plus call me old-fashioned, but I like the option of hassle free popping a new battery in if the old one degrades after a couple of years. That was no big deal when I was working, as I was getting a new phone every two years anyway. Nowadays though, I'd be happy if my S5 is useable another 3-4 years.

The LG V10, which I absolutely love to death, was selling new OEM batteries with charging/storage cradles for combo price of $20. I have two of them.

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-accessories/lg-BC-4900

Doesn't seem huge, but it's awesome. Fits perfectly into the well right below the charging ports in my car.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.