Author Topic: Wonder Woman - for "Women" Only  (Read 6638 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Wonder Woman - for "Women" Only
« on: May 26, 2017, 09:09:54 AM »
If I lived near Austin, I'd be REALLY tempted to attend this, dress normally, and tell them I self-identify as a woman. :)

I do like the comment about, "Look! they can raise money without sucking tax dollars."

How about it Texan male members? Which of you is going to go and give them the "I'm a woman" line?  =D

http://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/05/25/women-only-wonder-woman-screenings-for-planned-parenthood-wonder-why-they-need-tax-dollars/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Wonder Woman - for "Women" Only
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 09:26:35 AM »
If I lived near Austin, I'd be REALLY tempted to attend this, dress normally, and tell them I self-identify as a woman. :)

I do like the comment about, "Look! they can raise money without sucking tax dollars."

How about it Texan male members? Which of you is going to go and give them the "I'm a woman" line?  =D

http://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/05/25/women-only-wonder-woman-screenings-for-planned-parenthood-wonder-why-they-need-tax-dollars/

This event is in NYC.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 09:30:14 AM »

All right fistful, you know you want to.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 09:59:26 AM »

I have no problem with women only events. Folks should be able to have private events. Though I understand there is a cottage industry of tile crawlers with friendly plaintiffs who go to such events, get turned away and then sue under discrimination. Classy, that.

I know a lot of people love to dig at Planned Parenthood here, but they provide many economical services. STD screening, birth control, generally other reproductive related stuff. Different services are funded different ways because of laws, politics, etc.

I never donate to any politically sensitive organization in a traceable manner. Planned Parenthood does a good job. There's right wing ones that I'd also be hesitant to donating in a traceable non-deniable manner but would happily donate in an anonymous fashion. Obvious exception for 'sensitive' ones where if donating became a liability, Civil War Round 2 would be immediately necessary. EFF, NRA, ACLU, etc fall in that category.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 10:07:18 AM »
This event is in NYC.

Where the heck did I see Austin?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 10:10:03 AM »
I have no problem with women only events.

I have no problem with "X" only events as long as "X" don't have problems with "Y, Z, A, or B" events. When "X" complain about the other events though, I think they should be given a hard time and be made fun of.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 10:13:35 AM »
I have no problem with "X" only events as long as "X" don't have problems with "Y, Z, A, or B" events. When "X" complain about the other events though, I think they should be given a hard time and be made fun of.

Most people want advancement of their interests. Few have any interest in equality.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 10:19:24 AM »
Most people want advancement of their interests. Few have any interest in equality.

I don't even care about the equality issue. I'm more into the "you leave me alone and I'll leave you alone" aspect.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 10:47:19 AM »
"Alamo" Draft House

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 10:56:19 AM »
"Alamo" Draft House

There ya go. Alamo draft house. Texas. Where in Texas would they do a lefty thing? Austin. I didn't even need the full six degrees (to get it wrong).  =D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 01:12:47 PM »
I have no problem with women only events. Folks should be able to have private events. Though I understand there is a cottage industry of tile crawlers with friendly plaintiffs who go to such events, get turned away and then sue under discrimination. Classy, that.

I know a lot of people love to dig at Planned Parenthood here, but they provide many economical services. STD screening, birth control, generally other reproductive related stuff. Different services are funded different ways because of laws, politics, etc.

I never donate to any politically sensitive organization in a traceable manner. Planned Parenthood does a good job. There's right wing ones that I'd also be hesitant to donating in a traceable non-deniable manner but would happily donate in an anonymous fashion. Obvious exception for 'sensitive' ones where if donating became a liability, Civil War Round 2 would be immediately necessary. EFF, NRA, ACLU, etc fall in that category.

They have shown time and again that they don't care about the women they supposedly serve.  I think you are choosing to ignore a lot of what they do so you can feel good about a small part. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 01:19:09 PM »
They have shown time and again that they don't care about the women they supposedly serve.  I think you are choosing to ignore a lot of what they do so you can feel good about a small part.  

*ahem* I was able to walk into the local Planned Parenthood and walk out with the morning after pill for cheapo very easily and without fuss. It's pretty much the only health care service that I can do that with. They seemed very caring and eager to serve.

That said, I wish there was a way for us to differentiate between "this event is a political statement" and "this event is just a girls night out, pillow throwing, ice cream eating thing you dudes just wouldn't understand." (Or vis versa "This is a he man manly beer drinking, fart igniting, maybe some well intentioned fisticuffs type thing you girls wouldn't appreciate")

Because, seriously, this event sounds more like it was intended to be a girl's night out rather than a "we hate men" kind of thing.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 01:51:44 PM by bluestarlizzard »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 06:11:03 PM »

In Texas?  Northwest of Houston?    [popcorn]

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 07:05:52 PM »
In Texas?  Northwest of Houston?    [popcorn]

Everybody around here is a comedian. :P  :laugh:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 10:00:33 AM »
*ahem* I was able to walk into the local Planned Parenthood and walk out with the morning after pill for cheapo very easily and without fuss. It's pretty much the only health care service that I can do that with. They seemed very caring and eager to serve.
So that one thing they did for you means everything else they have done is excused?  I don't think you were doing that, but I think Rev was whether he meant to or not.  Lots of groups now and in history who are known for bad or evil things also did things people thought of as good.  The things I have read about Planned Parenthood doing colors the entire organization and everyone who chooses to work for them (and the politicians who give them money IMO).

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=49282.125
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:22:29 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »
So that one thing they did for you means everything else they have done is excused?  I don't think you were doing that, but I think Rev was whether he meant to or not.  Lots of groups now and in history who are known for bad or evil things also did things people thought of as good.  The things I have read about Planned Parenthood doing colors the entire organization and everyone who chooses to work for them (and the politicians who give them money IMO).

Point me too a better option and I'll take it, but since Planned Parenthood is, in the vast majority of cases, the *ONLY OPTION* for those kinds of services, I'll stick with my story.

Provide an alternative or reform the current organization, but until there comes a time when the good services Planned Parenthood provides are no longer needed (which will be approximately the same time when hell freezes over) something is needed.*

*This statement does not mean I think Planned Parenthood should necessarily receive government funding, the same as I think for all non profits.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 05:54:41 PM »

I read a different article today that said this happened in Austin.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 07:40:56 PM »

Gonna have to disagree with you all-up on PP here.

When me and Amanda got pregnant, we were poor.

We had a bitch of a time getting any of the most basic prenatal services through them. We were, however, repeatedly offered a chance at an abortion.

I ended up using (and maxing) the one credit card I had until we mobilized onto active duty and I had health bennies.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2017, 12:10:42 AM »

Mussolini made the trains run on time and Hitler built the autobahns...just sayin'...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2017, 06:16:04 PM »
only a woman, or a nancy boy, would want to see the movie in the first place.   

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2017, 07:15:06 PM »
From the previews I've seen there appears to be quite a few scenes of scantily clad, very healthy women running about.
That with quite a bit of gratuitous violence and a lot of "blowing *expletive deleted*it up" makes it sound like it might be worth watching.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2017, 07:30:09 PM »
only a woman, or a nancy boy, would want to see the movie in the first place.   
:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Come over here and say that to my Dad. I need the entertainment.  [popcorn]

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 10:50:57 PM »

Saw it. One could argue it's one of the best DC movies so far. There's a top tier of the Nolan Batman movies, V for Vendetta and Watchmen. Everything else they made was pretty bad. This is definitely top tier and not junk like any of the Ben Affleck Batman movies so far. The scenery was amazing, lots of weapons, they had a chemically enhanced General Ludendorff, nifty aircraft, horrific trench warfare, interesting characters, etc. Music was alright, except for the new Wonder Woman theme song which is absolutely great.

Definitely worth seeing on the big screen.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 06:33:11 AM »
Definitely worth seeing on the big screen.

Nancy boy. :P

Chris