Author Topic: Bitcoin Value  (Read 613 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Bitcoin Value
« on: May 26, 2017, 10:15:21 AM »
Wow.

I've pretty much ignored Bitcoins since the first broohaha about them. I had absolutely no idea they have gone up this much. Back when they first came into the public eye, I was considering doing the same thing that this guy did - just getting a small amount to see what they were about. C'est la vie.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/05/i-threw-away-4-8-million-in-bitcoin/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Bitcoin Value
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 11:32:59 AM »
I've been watching it.  We have around 20, from my son's estate. Peaked about $2800, then took a tumble yesterday.  I wish I knew what was driving it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 01:47:34 PM »
I've been watching it.  We have around 20, from my son's estate. Peaked about $2800, then took a tumble yesterday.  I wish I knew what was driving it.

Not all, but a big part is Chinese investors, in a new round of doing whatever they can come hell or high water to place money/assets in non-Chinese countries, currency, and investments.

For Bitcoin, the high valuation is "good" in that it shows it's still far from dead, despite the umpteen millionth smug prediction of it's demise. But it's bad for what IMO it really "needs" which is stability so people will be willing to both spend it, and save it as an actual currency, not just a paramutual betting investment etc.

Granted, you can transfer money via Bitcoin pretty quickly in a "get in and get out" manner that's bookended by other .gov issued currencies, or gold and other things, which is not very vulnerable to the volatility, but that's just making it into a weird form of PayPal.
I promise not to duck.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 05:41:47 AM »
This reminds me. I need to see how much I've got. I know it's less than one. Got some way back when it was still pretty knew and you could get them for free to help get it started.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic