Author Topic: Great Wall - Very interesting Chinese propaganda movie  (Read 688 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Great Wall - Very interesting Chinese propaganda movie
« on: May 26, 2017, 10:11:19 PM »

So, the film is meh but very pretty from a PRC perspective. Lots of very large groups of people in colorful outfits doing synchronized movements. Monsters were caused by "greed". The great Chinese people built a huge technological military to protect the world. Emperors are stupid and weak. Europeans are taught enlightenment from their petty lust for simple profits for glory through service to The People. No, the hero doesn't get the girl because the girl is devoted to service to China.

It was actually very well done. It didn't make the white/latino dudes look stupid. Very highly skilled, in fact. Just 'lost' and simple. Not unified. They get a lot of screen time but really do not save the day.

It's no worse than the US saving the day in Independence Day. Much more subtle actually. China is looking to play themselves up as heroes in cinema, and they're willing to spend the money to do so. Interesting. First of probably many more to come. Worth a watch.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Great Wall - Very interesting Chinese propaganda movie
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 06:56:41 AM »
Subtitles?  Or dubbed in English?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 09:41:14 AM »
Netflix is supposed to have it in my mailbox today, so I'll probably give it a go this evening.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 03:27:38 PM »
Subtitles?  Or dubbed in English?

Mostly subtitles but they mostly translate in movie. English parts in English.

It's worth a watch, we're used to our own cultural propaganda movies. Seeing the other side is interesting. I wouldn't call China an enemy, aside from Korea they mostly have not been. Competition, definitely. They seem to be uninterested in acquiring more land at the moment, unlike Russia. Taiwan maybe being an exception. They definitely do want to secure resources and compete economically. Let us spend trillions on bringing democracy to third world countries while they sell us stuff and liberally steal tech to improve their own country. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 10:50:25 PM »
Just finished watching.

For all the negative PR it got pre-release and when in theaters, I wasn't expecting much. I liked it though. Much better than I thought it would be.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."