Author Topic: Cobalt  (Read 40057 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Cobalt
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2018, 07:54:47 AM »
Very cool. I really didn't expect USCO to do much. Glad that it's worked out for you!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2018, 08:04:44 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »
I reckon this is why:

http://firstcobalt.com/investors/news/first-cobalt-announces-friendly-acquisition-of-us-cobalt

That explains the price spike on the afternoon of the 14th.  I only saw that chart yesterday.  (The 15th is the last day for Corporate Returns, the 16th is day we filed 43 Corporate Return Extensions...  ;/ ;/ ;/)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2018, 06:08:24 AM »
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/594062903/how-cobalt-metal-affects-big-tech-firms-like-apple

Sell your cobalt futures now!  Iron phosphate is coming!

Interesting article. The only upside that appears to be with using this iron phosphate batteries is that it doesn't use cobalt, and there you don't need to be connected with possible shady areas like the Congo. But that doesn't really seem to be much of an issue if we are able to get it here. Plus there is the issue where it says they are less powerful, doesn't go into any details on what that means.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2018, 01:11:14 AM »
So reading the article. this newbie trader needs some edumacation.  I purchased 100 shares of it, and according to the article, look like it's a straight stock deal, with 1 share of US Cobalt converting to 1.5 shares of First Cobalt...
So, do I need to do anything?  Or will my shares of US Cobalt on TD Ameritrade magically become shares of First Cobalt once this whole thing goes through?

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2018, 03:33:26 AM »
It will happen automagically.  The company will "buy" your existing in exchange shares for 1.5 per of the "new" company.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 06:58:40 PM by Amy Schumer »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2018, 06:57:51 AM »
The only thing that might happen is that you may (but probably won't) need to fill out a couple of forms.

Make certain that you keep track of your acquisition basis cost, though, as you'll need to know that when you sell and either take a profit or loss for tax purposes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2018, 02:17:01 PM »
Meanwhile, The Economist has decided that me doubling my investment wasn't nearly enough profit...

https://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21739161-nickel-could-make-good-substituteprovided-car-batteries-dont-catch-fire-what-if

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2018, 10:22:15 AM »
This could be interesting. The curtain that hides all the child labor used by green energy is being opened in regards to cobalt.

This particular blurb caught my eye as related to who owns US Cobalt now:

Now, it appears (via Bloomberg) that Tesla also has access to cobalt in Canada. “Call it a cobalt rush in Cobalt… both the town and the metal, are attracting renewed attention as a buffer to rising political risks in the Democratic Republic of Congo”

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/05/01/wake-up-world-the-clean-energy-revolution-is-powered-by-child-labor-in-africa/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2018, 08:21:42 PM »
For those in the game, I saw my US Cobalt is now listed as FTSSF. With some extra shares. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2018, 12:18:52 AM »
For those in the game, I saw my US Cobalt is now listed as FTSSF. With some extra shares. :)

Yup. Was a little pissed at the $38 mandatory reorganization fee..... But TD Ameritrade were kind enough to refund that when I called and (politely) asked, "Oy, WTF is this fee???"

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2018, 07:31:32 AM »
This could be interesting. The curtain that hides all the child labor used by green energy is being opened in regards to cobalt.

This particular blurb caught my eye as related to who owns US Cobalt now:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/05/01/wake-up-world-the-clean-energy-revolution-is-powered-by-child-labor-in-africa/

AH MAH GERDS! THE FEELS! THE FEELS!

Want to piss off a liberal? Call them Massah (insert overseer name here).

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2018, 06:52:10 PM »

I checked that today also...made a tidy little sum off that...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2018, 02:39:51 AM »
Dang.  First Cobalt is *TANKING* after their buyout of US Cobalt....   down to $0.36...  nothing really obvious as to why, other than the potentially looming trade war/spat/pissing match going on.   I figure I'm just going to ignore it for a while, set a couple of alerts to let me know when it starts trending upwards again.   

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2018, 09:17:30 AM »
Dang.  First Cobalt is *TANKING* after their buyout of US Cobalt....   down to $0.36...  nothing really obvious as to why, other than the potentially looming trade war/spat/pissing match going on.   I figure I'm just going to ignore it for a while, set a couple of alerts to let me know when it starts trending upwards again.   

I was watching some of my other stuff tank and didn't see that.  :laugh:

There may be other stuff going on with First Cobalt as well, but I reckon a lot of it is the same as is happening in some other sectors: negative overreaction to Trump's tariff war. This is the time to "not do something, just stand there" as things work out. I'm actually going to start looking at buying opportunities at individual stocks that took an "emotion hit".

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2018, 12:36:36 PM »
I've got 180 sell orders on all my speculative stocks.  When they hit the price I set, they get sold and I now have money to play with. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2018, 11:32:28 AM »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2018, 11:41:52 AM »
And Cobalt took a huge hit today.  Elon Musk screwed me.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-08/battery-skeptic-funds-wait-out-cobalt-rally-seen-as-fleeting

Saw that this morning. Oh well, there's always the loss deduction on the taxes.  =D

It'll certainly be interesting to watch it all play out over the next few years. It's probably a good time for Cobalt investors to go left wing progressive and start social network campaigns about child labor in the African Cobalt mines and try and get supply reduced.  :laugh:

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »
I read in the WSJ last week that platinum is way down, because of the reduced demand for catalytic converters because of the rise of electric cars.  I may dump some cash into that.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2018, 09:53:45 PM »
Noticed the nosedive it was taking.
SELL! SELL! SELL!

Hanre Rossouw, a Cape Town-based portfolio manager at Investec Asset Management, which oversees over $190 billion, is playing it safe by instead betting on traditional metals like copper as a way to benefit from the shift in electric vehicles. Regardless how fast the shift occurs, he said spending on infrastructure will rise, including power grids and charging stations, requiring more copper.

BUY! BUY! BUY!
Interesting take. Would you invest in copper by buying actual copper, or is it more like you can buy gold certificates, or in a company like we are with Cobalt, or a little of each. I actually have a few rounds of copper, not much and more for the novelty coin and that it's pretty cheap. Thought about buying bars. Looking at a 5 year chart, it's basically the same now as 5 years ago, although it had dived and recovered by a dollar a pound. Although looking at APMEX, the prices for copper bars are quite a bit higher than the spot price. For example; looking at the Kitco chart, it should be about 18 cents an ounce. But APMEX is selling generic 1oz rounds and bars for 99 cents and the cheapest is a 100oz bar for &79.99. Nothing close to 18 cents an ounce.

edit - Copper really exploded in about the year 2002, and also took a huge dive in about 2008 before taking off again. https://www.macrotrends.net/1476/copper-prices-historical-chart-data
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2018, 12:18:40 PM »
Interesting article for my fellow Cobalt investors. I'm still letting mine ride. Until/unless, as Scout mentioned, Musk screws me. But then with all the other crap he has been spewing this year, maybe that's just a pipe dream of his (get it?  =D ).

https://www.economist.com/business/2018/12/01/can-the-world-produce-enough-cobalt-for-electric-vehicles

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2020, 09:56:01 AM »
Thread necro.

For anyone, like me, who has been holding onto their FTSSF all this time, it shot up like crazy today due to a Canadian Govt investment:

https://www.kitco.com/news/2020-12-16/First-Cobalt-shares-skyrocket-on-10-million-government-investment-news.html

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2020, 10:56:54 AM »
So where are you with your investment? The 52-week high has been 27 cents, the 52 week low 7 cents...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2020, 11:04:27 AM »
So where are you with your investment? The 52-week high has been 27 cents, the 52 week low 7 cents...

It needs to go up another 9 cents for me to clear a profit.  :laugh:

I dollar cost averaged a bit when it was at its lows, which really helped visa vie the original purchase - plus they did that split when they merged.  I'm still only in it for like under $2K though - it was a totally (maybe my most ever) speculative purchase. :)

I might sell half if it breaks the break even point, but otherwise want to keep letting it ride. Who knows, with the 46 admin going all in on climate and alternative energy, it might go up more. I still have some loser FCEL (hydrogen fuel cells) and that sector has been spiking since the election as well.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2020, 12:20:29 PM »
No offense, but I'm glad that I passed on this one back in 2016/2017...