Author Topic: So I Guess Beheading in Effigy is OK Now  (Read 10468 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
So I Guess Beheading in Effigy is OK Now
« on: May 30, 2017, 04:27:36 PM »
I mean, do we even have to say, "If this were Obama" or "If this were Clinton"? 

http://twitchy.com/sd-3133/2017/05/30/but-racist-rodeo-clown-kathy-griffin-makes-beheading-potus-great-again/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: So I Guess Beheading in Effigy is OK Now
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »
I so hope they keep this up.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 08:15:34 PM »
I so hope they keep this up.

This.

Half the country (more, likely)  finds these immature stunts offensive.   Keep it up, aholes.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 09:19:30 PM »
This.

Half the country (more, likely)  finds these immature stunts offensive.   Keep it up, aholes.

Oh, more than that. It clarifies that Leftists think of us (Republicans, conservatives, Americans, or whatever you want to call us) as the enemy. Which clarifies that we should think of them as the enemy. Not just political enemies, but enemies of our country. And of course, they are.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 02:44:27 AM »
Destroying effigies of political folks you don't like has been OK for.....IDK..... Centuries?  Don't act like this is something new.

The only sorta new part is it being a semi-relevant washed up celebrity.  And even that isn't all that novel, as making politically edgy statements is a tried and true way to get press.  See: Ted Nugent.

obama effigies
George W Bush effigy
Bill Clinton Effigy
Ronald Reagan effigy

James Taylor burned in effigy outside white house in 1841

Sons of Liberty hang effigies of British officials in 1765

I could probably hunt down an instance of a Caesar being burned in effigy but you get the point.  Fake outrage is fake.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 07:16:43 AM »
Destroying effigies of political folks you don't like has been OK for.....IDK..... Centuries?  Don't act like this is something new.

The only sorta new part is it being a semi-relevant washed up celebrity.  And even that isn't all that novel, as making politically edgy statements is a tried and true way to get press.  See: Ted Nugent.

obama effigies
George W Bush effigy
Bill Clinton Effigy
Ronald Reagan effigy

Sons of Liberty hang effigies of British officials in 1765

I could probably hunt down an instance of a Caesar being burned in effigy but you get the point.  Fake outrage is fake.

Yeah, and the Sex Pistols apparently burned effigies of Keith Emerson. But that's not the whole point.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re:
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 07:32:11 AM »
This is pointing out the hypocrisy of the left.

The right has noticed "the rules" that the left espouses do not apply to the left. Many are beginning to act accordingly.

(Look the the responses to the "bodyslammed" reporter, for an example)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
Re:
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 07:44:36 AM »
This is pointing out the hypocrisy of the left.

Meh. Any hypocrisy surrounding effigies is equally shared between both sides of the political spectrum.  Not seeing the "zing" here that you guys see.

Stick with the excusing of actual violence against people.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »
Fake outrage is fake.

The fake outrage was going on for the past several years, when Democrats suddenly forgot that presidents are not treated with universal affection, or even respect; and made everything racial.

The current reaction to Griffin's stunt is not fake, as most Americans have little to no familiarity with past effigy-mistreatings. As has been pointed out, what Griffin did brought to mind ISIS; not American political history.

If I have any outrage, offense, or umbrage about it, it's the double standard that bothers me. I mean, sure, Lefties have denounced the stunt, but that doesn't get Tuffy his job back.*

*OK, apparently he's working again. Just sayin'.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 09:23:20 AM »
I mean, do we even have to say, "If this were Obama" or "If this were Clinton"?  

http://twitchy.com/sd-3133/2017/05/30/but-racist-rodeo-clown-kathy-griffin-makes-beheading-potus-great-again/

I'd never heard of this individual before this.  Is she someone, like the Kardassians or this "Bounce" person, that I'd know about if I didn't mostly ignore popular culture?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 09:27:53 AM »

If I have any outrage, offense, or umbrage about it, it's the double standard that bothers me.

Word. This is the most irritating to me about all this. I'm all for the free speech aspect of burning in effigy, making pinatas, etc. It has to work across the political spectrum though. When a rodeo clown wearing an Obama mask is fired, but Kathy Griffin is cheered*, there is a major double-standard problem.

*Though it appears, and good for them, many on the left are speaking out on Griffin going too far. I can appreciate that versus the hypocrisy of "nobody say anything about the great leader Obama, but gleefully use your free speech against the guy we don't like". Good for the goose, good for the gander.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
I'd never heard of this individual before this.  Is she someone, like the Kardassians or this "Bounce" person, that I'd know about if I didn't mostly ignore popular culture?
Which is probably why they did it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 10:54:55 AM »
Also, thinking about this further, in "statistically normal times" I would agree more with Dogmush. However, I think we're in an era of wide, wide pendulum swings.

At 57, I'm barely old enough to remember "stumblebum Ford", and the peanut farmer for Georgia. Also really stretching things with attacks on Reagan, and then much of the same (but to a lesser degree) with Clinton. Most here remember bad taste attacks on Bush. Sure, there was some outrage from "the other side" but not nearly to the degree of today, where a "bad taste" protest ends in job loss and even criminal charges.

The difference between then and now, IMO, is Obama. When he got in, the pendulum swung WAY to the "never attack the president" side. Partially because of his race, partially because it was the dawn of the modern SJW, likely for other reasons I can't think of. The point is that we hit a time where the SJW "I can say whatever I want, but you can't because it's hate" mantra came into full swing. So certainly while what Griffin did is free speech, the outrage from regular America is really less aimed at attacks on Trump as it is on the past outrage and response to much less volatile attacks on Obama.

So less to do with attacks on the president, and more on the SJW mentality. IMO anyway.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 12:58:11 PM »
Well regardless of it's historical precedent, actions have consequences.

Squaty Potty has dropped Kathy Griffin  as spokeswoman.

Squaty Potty wants nothing to do with her.  Let that sink in a bit.
 :lol: :lol:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/05/31/kathy-griffin-dumped-by-squatty-potty-lambasted-by-trump-family-over-photo-with-bloody-head.html

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 01:39:54 PM »
Squaty Potty wants nothing to do with her.  Let that sink in a bit.

"Squatty Potty has suspended its ad campaign featuring Ms. Griffin. We have acted swiftly and decisively to demonstrate our commitment to a culture of decency, civility, and tolerance."

She's not decent or civil enough for the people who paid money to produce this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbYWhdLO43Q

No matter how low the bar is set, some liberals will still set out to become limbo champions.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 02:03:33 PM »
I think in recent years, Kathy Griffin is most famous for writing a book about being a D-list celebrity and having numerous plastic surgery procedures.  I was about to say 'plastic surgery procedures up the wazoo', but I think the wazoo was one of the things worked on.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 02:17:48 PM »
No matter how low the bar is set, some liberals will still set out to become limbo champions.

When you've got Keith Olbermann lecturing you, you've probably gone too far.

While I still agree with fistful that I'd just as soon they keep it up, perhaps they are at the point of defining the bottom of "sinking low" when the worst of them are calling her out.

"When they go low, we go high!"*

* I have yet to see that actually happen.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 02:22:59 PM »

Wow, those music critics don't pull any punches.

(John Tyler, not Sweet Baby James)
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 03:03:47 PM »
"When they go low, we go get high!"

FIFY

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 03:20:26 PM »
When you've got Keith Olbermann lecturing you, you've probably gone too far.

While I still agree with fistful that I'd just as soon they keep it up, perhaps they are at the point of defining the bottom of "sinking low" when the worst of them are calling her out.

"When they go low, we go high!"*

* I have yet to see that actually happen.
There is definitely a whole lot of crying wolf going on.  I am not sure what that means for the future. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 03:52:53 PM »

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 05:23:54 PM »
Wow, those music critics don't pull any punches.

(John Tyler, not Sweet Baby James)

Thanks for clarifying that! I didn't think (I)he was quite that old!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 05:39:50 PM »
Well regardless of it's historical precedent, actions have consequences.

Squaty Potty has dropped Kathy Griffin  as spokeswoman.

And now she has been fired from her New Years Eve job at CNN.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 06:00:41 PM »
And now she has been fired from her New Years Eve job at CNN.

Well, at least there is some balance then.

As I said, normally I would agree with Dogmush, and I would say she shouldn't be fired from anything, regardless of the extremely bad taste. But that should have gone for the Obama rodeo clown incident as well, which was much, much, much more tame. If libs want him fired, then they should want her fired.

As an aside, some of the celebrity and media attacks on Trump's 11 year old son for being upset about the image are really 2x4 upside the head worthy.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 11:39:38 PM »
I think you called it earlier;  Sauce for the goose.

I read this initially as "holy *expletive deleted*it,  they're pulling ISIS style stunts about the POTUS".   Which may be perfectly legal,  but still had me taken aback.  That's wayy past a bunch of chanting retards burning a person in effigy.  That's a parody of a recent, gruesome bit of Islamic terrorism.

It might be protected speech by I'm glad it's having repercussions.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.