Author Topic: Maruchan Instant Lunch  (Read 4767 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Maruchan Instant Lunch
« on: June 06, 2017, 11:20:31 AM »
I like them for the office because they don't require cooking (just add boiling, or near boiling, water), they're cheap, and they go well with a sandwich.

The Chili Lime Shrimp ones get two big thumbs up!

Very tasty! Just enough heat to be interesting, and a nice back spike of lime flavor.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Maruchan Instant Lunch
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 11:53:42 AM »
I buy "Spicy Kung Pao" noodle bowls sometimes at Aldi.  About $1.69, and the bowls are a handy size and reusable.  Open all the little packets and mix them up, add one ounce of water and maybe a sliced jalapeño or some leftover chicken, and microwave for 2 minutes.

You're talking about those 69¢ cups of lime/chile/shrimp ramen from Walmart, right?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 03:11:36 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 12:16:35 PM »
"You're talking about those 69¢ cups of lime/chile/shrimp ramen from Walmart, right?"

Yes.

I bought a flat of 12 of them at Walmart, and I think the flat cost me less than $5.

They're a really nice to accompany a sandwich, otherwise they're not large enough for lunch on their own.

The bowls are larger servings and can make a quick lunch all their own.

I have an Aldi near me. I really need to go.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 01:27:52 PM »
Y'all eat well.  Me?  I do a lot of PB&J sandwich lunches.  A couple of days a week, I go wild and walk to Subway for a chopped salad.  Around $7 for the spicy Italian salad.  For a while, I used to do lunch of a couple of cans of Pepsi and a handful of pretzels.  Don't drink Pepsi any more (miss it a lot).  So trying a better lunch and lots of water.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 01:34:25 PM »
The somewhat more expensive large square Yakisoba spicy chicken ones are good.

Even better, if you put a tablespoon of peanut butter in the broth and stir it around once it's hot, toss in some peanuts, and some cooked chunk chicken, it's a pretty passable faux Thai dish.

All these products are a salt-bomb though. That's the downside. Even if you're in the "salt isn't as bad as they say" camp, all the competing studies etc.
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 01:38:02 PM »
"Even better, if you put a tablespoon of peanut butter in the broth and stir it around once it's hot, toss in some peanuts, and some cooked chunk chicken, it's a pretty passable faux Thai dish. "

Definitely going to try that one!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 01:53:12 PM »
I recommend low/no sodium canned chicken, or the pre-cooked frozen bag of Tyson breast meat cubes. And unsalted roast peanuts. And to put the peanuts in with the dry noodles and spice mix when the boiling water goes in, or you throw the whole tray with water in the microwave, so they cook a bit, and get that slightly softened texture like they were cooked along with the food.

"Natural" unsweetened peanut butter tastes a bit more authentic than just a scoop of Jif or Skippy does.

If the chicken is salted, and the peanuts are also salted, it gets even saltier, to the point it's potentially hard to eat.

Cut chives or shallots ups the "seems like real food"-quotient by about 100% too.
I promise not to duck.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 06:55:56 PM »
I like the Yakisoba brand too as well as Annie Chun noodle bowls. More expensive to be sure. More vegetables though. At times I lived on Maruchan and Charlie Tuna lunch kits depending on how the chow hall was doing. Out to sea for forty days you can only eat sliders and chili Mac so much. My last cruise I kept a 20mm ammo can under my desk full of noodles, trail mix, and many other survive S-2 division essentials. No, not Intel, in the canoe club S-2 is the cooks, or pretty much the opposite of Intel. The absolute only reprieve from those clowns was embarking Marine cooks. At least they worked.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 09:20:32 PM »
I just can't eat that crap.   Happy though, that so many others like 'em.    :)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 09:20:33 PM »
We love to take those super cheap Maruchan Instant Ramen and crush the noodles into little bits then prepare them as the directions call for. Most of their flavors are really good.
Sometimes I toss the noodles and just make the broth and drink it.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 10:53:02 PM »
I supplement my  lunches with the instant cups. I get hot water at work so it's effort-free. I think they are less than fifty cents each. I will sometimes just have that for lunch. Even cutting back to sub-500-calorie lunches, I'm still having weight-gain problems. It's pretty depressing how little I can eat and still gain weight.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 07:33:35 AM »
You say "lunch", I think you mean malnutritional filler.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 07:37:48 AM »
I supplement my  lunches with the instant cups. I get hot water at work so it's effort-free. I think they are less than fifty cents each. I will sometimes just have that for lunch. Even cutting back to sub-500-calorie lunches, I'm still having weight-gain problems. It's pretty depressing how little I can eat and still gain weight.

You may want to see a nutritionist.

You might not actually be gaining weight because you're eating too much, you might be gaining weight because you're eating too little, and your body thinks it's either in starvation mode, or close to it, and is converting food to fat because it thinks it needs to.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 07:39:59 AM »
You say "lunch", I think you mean malnutritional filler.

Don't you need to stand in front of a mirror and tell yourself "I'M A UGLY, DISGUSTING LITTLE FAT BODY!" :rofl:

I never said they were *expletive deleted*ing health food.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 07:47:04 AM »

You might not actually be gaining weight because you're eating too much, you might be gaining weight because you're eating too little, and your body thinks it's either in starvation mode, or close to it, and is converting food to fat because it thinks it needs to.

So I should eat more? No thanks; tried that.

Which of the 7653 conflicting nutritionists should I consult?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 08:35:18 AM »

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 08:47:31 AM »

As Mike mentioned, "starvation mode" may be an issue, though I've found it takes a lot to get there.  In early 2005, when I decided to get down from 225 to $healthybodyweight, I went on a 1200-1500cal/day diet.  I counted calories religiously, but did not omit any specific food items except sugary stuff (candy, etc).  I steadily lost weight at a rate of 1.5-2 pounds per week until I got down to 185, where I backed off and used healthy portions to remain in the 185-190 range for 5 years.  I lost that 40lbs without any special exercise program except for an evening walk with the family, however I got back into cycling in 2006, which helped me maintain my weight.  A job change and added stress, along with less portion control, saw me rise to 195lbs, but I've since brought that down to under 185.  I've learned exercise alone will do nothing if you don't change your eating habits.  I burn roughly 1k calories in an hour to two hours of exercise (running, biking, etc).  You can kill 1k calories in a single meal without feeling full. 

Anyway, if you haven't yet, get a physical and know your numbers so you can plan accordingly.

Your problem may not be calories, it could be blood sugar related.  If you're prediabetic (BS of 100-115ish or A1C 5.7-6.3), you may need to get that under control first.  FWIW, I'm prediabetic and mostly controlled it through diet and exercise until this year when my numbers rose to BS100+ and A1C6.3.  Diabetes is common in my family, so it was just a matter of time. :(  Metformin suppresses my appetite, so along with a low carb diet, I'm losing weight again. 

Chris

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 12:20:38 PM »
Which of the 7653 conflicting nutritionists should I consult?

Lemme introduce to one we have at the Shreveport, LA VA Hospital. She treats you like a kindergartener and refers to your stomach as your "tummy." I walked (rolled actually) out on my last appointment with her and refused to ever see her again. They assigned me a new one that I can live with.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 05:10:20 PM »
I sometimes eat the Instant Lunch ones for dinner.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 05:32:05 PM »
IT'S A LIE !!!!  ONE GIANT LIE !!!

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 07:36:32 AM »
OMG, you mean the cup isn't completely full of noodles!??!

Oh the hue manatee!

Of course it's not. If it were, you couldn't get enough water into it to A) cook the noodles, B) make soup. The noodles would drink up all the available water.

That said, I brought diced grilled chicken in, I have peanuts, and I bought reduced sugar peanut butter.

I bought the Jif Simply Peanuts kind. 33% less added sugar and low sodium. Very nice roasted peanut flavor.

Thai style soup here we come!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 07:37:54 AM »

Get your thyroid checked.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 08:28:08 AM »
Don't you need to stand in front of a mirror and tell yourself "I'M A UGLY, DISGUSTING LITTLE FAT BODY!" :rofl:

I never said they were *expletive deleted*ing health food.

:P

Yup.  See my previous snarky comment.  If your goal is to lose weight, you have to be putting in the right amount of calories and the right nutrients.  Just eating less doesn't always result in weight loss especially if you have a slow metabolism. 
You have to use a combination of dietary adjustments and exercise (doesn't have to be hardcore) to boost your metabolism.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 11:18:15 AM »
OK, I just made my lunch.

Quite tasty.

But I think I know one thing that would take it to the next level...

Using Coconut Milk instead of hot water to hydrate the noodles.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2017, 11:45:24 AM »
Wow.

That was freaking awesome. I wish I had remembered some chopped up green onions, though...