Author Topic: Food dehydrator  (Read 5184 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Food dehydrator
« on: June 09, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »
I've thought about getting one for some years, but I finally sprang for one.

One of the big reasons is for making treats for Seren and, with Castle Key, for his Leonbergers, as well.

We're training the pups using a method that requires a LOT of treats. One of the favorites in the Leonberger community is pieces of hotdog, sprinkled with garlic powder, and microwaved until they're jerky.

I figure why go microwave and just use a dehydrator. Big advantage to that is you can make a LOT in a batch.

I also want to dry fruit, especially apples and peaches, for use during the Winter. My Grandfather used to make dried applies, known in the German community in Pennsylvania as schnitz, and my Grandmother made a fantastic dried apple pie with them.

Who has a dehydrator? Other than beef jerky, what's your favorite stuff to dry?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Food dehydrator
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 10:31:48 AM »
Bags can bankrupt you if you're not careful. Amazon has decent deals on bulk rolls.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 10:33:59 AM »
You could probably talk Chris into coughing up some deer if he gets one, too.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 10:39:21 AM »
Bags can bankrupt you if you're not careful. Amazon has decent deals on bulk rolls.

Brad

Bags?

Are you talking about a vacuum sealer?

I have one of those.

I'm talking about a food dehydrator. Completely different piece of kit.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 10:41:17 AM »
I like to dry fruit and make my own trail mix. Probably saved my life once years ago on a wilderness archery elk hunt. with a really crappy guide/outfitter.
that didn't bring any food or water. and abandoned us or we abandoned each other after I told him I might shoot him...
oh well that's major thread drift...dehydrators are great! enjoy!
What we have here is failure to communicate.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 10:46:29 AM »

One of the big reasons is for making treats for Seren and, with Castle Key, for his Leonbergers, as well.

We're training the pups using a method that requires a LOT of treats. One of the favorites in the Leonberger community is pieces of hotdog, sprinkled with garlic powder, and microwaved until they're jerky.

I figure why go microwave and just use a dehydrator. Big advantage to that is you can make a LOT in a batch.

I also want to dry fruit, especially apples and peaches, for use during the Winter. My Grandfather used to make dried applies, known in the German community in Pennsylvania as schnitz, and my Grandmother made a fantastic dried apple pie with them.

We have an apple tree* so my most dried item is apples. (And as our peach and plum tree mature, they will be added to the list.) All my children love the dried apples through the winter.

Peppers from the garden are next. Nice way to deal with the excess crops and very good for chilis and soups.

Fresh herbs and spices from the garden are really the only other things we dry. Lots of sage, dill, mint, basil, and more that aren't coming to mind right now.

I'm hoping to try to make some sun-dried tomatoes this year.  

Jerky is one thing I haven't done yet, but would like to. Maybe this year.

*(Now three, but the other two won't be producing for a few years.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 11:07:50 AM »

Bags?

I have one of those.

Doh  :facepalm:

Too many things happening at once.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 11:30:53 AM »
Been considering a dehydrator, as we grow a lot of herbs and end up trying to freeze a lot, which isn't a great way of preserving them.  Drying would be better. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 11:44:56 AM »
Crap, hadn't even considered herbs!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 11:47:15 AM »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 03:11:27 PM »
Tomatoes.
Our favorite has been some of the very sweet cherry tomatoes varieties. Roma types are also great.
Slice them in half and set them skin down on the racks.
Great for salad toppings and they rehydrate great for use in cooking.
Think "sun dried tomatoes"
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 03:17:56 PM »
I have one of these (bought it a long time ago) with 2 extra trays https://www.amazon.com/Nesco-American-FD-50-Snackmaster-Dehydrator/dp/B00004W4V4

I mostly use it for beef jerky, but also sometimes use it to dry tomatoes, peppers, and dog biscuits.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 03:21:21 PM »
We've got the next size bigger Nesco, Garden master I think. got enough trays to stack it about 3' high.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 04:36:54 PM »
I've had the cheap Nesco for years. Pretty sure it's a discontinued model now. Jerky and dried fruit are pretty regular. Dog treats too. Probably not toxic at that low quantity, but you should avoid giving garlic and onion to the dogs anyway.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 05:41:35 PM »
I have a presto one. I like drying banana slice and apples for snacks. I made some sports bar things I liked, banana base, chocolate protein powder, buncha chia, flax,and hemp seed. Did some with an apple puree base too, good, but very tart, bombed them with vitamin c powder. Might try drying some cabbage. Herbs for sure.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 06:17:09 PM »
I like to dry fruit and make my own trail mix. Probably saved my life once years ago on a wilderness archery elk hunt. with a really crappy guide/outfitter.
that didn't bring any food or water. and abandoned us or we abandoned each other after I told him I might shoot him...
oh well that's major thread drift...dehydrators are great! enjoy!

Was it the dehydrated food or dehydrated water that kept you alive?
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 06:56:40 PM »

While you're at it, try dried bananas too.  Natural foods place we shopped at many moons ago had them.  Very tasty.  (The banana chips you see sometimes aren't like those at all.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 09:23:25 PM »
Was it the dehydrated food or dehydrated water that kept you alive?
The story is too long to go into all of it but after the outfitter wrecked a tire on his truck he said he was going to drive 70 miles to the nearest town to get a spare and was supposed to bring our water cans back filled with fresh water later that same day. We had 1 gal each when he left but he hooked up with his girlfriend and didn't come back until the next night. We were camped at 8000 feet and hunting above camp up to 10000'. When he showed up a day and a half later he had water and we had to try to rehydrate. We found out the next morning that he forgot about them and came back empty so he stopped and filled them at a beaver pond at the bottom of the mountain. That's when I threatened him and we parted ways. My trail mix and some freeze dried eggs were the only food we had for 2 days. Ok maybe I was being a little dramatic about the dehydrated fruit saving my life but it was close.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 10:18:50 PM »
I make jerky on mine.

I also dry veggies and fruit. I love to dry surplus tomatoes and use them like sundried tomatoes. I do onions and peppers.

Love dried strawberries. I may get a bumper crop of berries in a few years, so I'll probably dry them also.

Some year I'm going to attempt dehydrated watermelon, heard it is amazing.

I just use ziplock bags to store my dried food in the freezer.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 06:15:48 AM »
The story is too long to go into all of it but after the outfitter wrecked a tire on his truck he said he was going to drive 70 miles to the nearest town to get a spare and was supposed to bring our water cans back filled with fresh water later that same day. We had 1 gal each when he left but he hooked up with his girlfriend and didn't come back until the next night. We were camped at 8000 feet and hunting above camp up to 10000'. When he showed up a day and a half later he had water and we had to try to rehydrate. We found out the next morning that he forgot about them and came back empty so he stopped and filled them at a beaver pond at the bottom of the mountain. That's when I threatened him and we parted ways. My trail mix and some freeze dried eggs were the only food we had for 2 days. Ok maybe I was being a little dramatic about the dehydrated fruit saving my life but it was close.

And you didn't sue him for return of your hunting fee?

And plaster his name everywhere as someone to completely avoid at all costs?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2017, 06:16:22 AM »
While you're at it, try dried bananas too.  Natural foods place we shopped at many moons ago had them.  Very tasty.  (The banana chips you see sometimes aren't like those at all.)

I can't stand dried bananas.

I'm not entirely fond of fresh bananas, either.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 10:02:08 PM »
I got this best a few years ago. Worth every penny compared to that round neso pos I was using.
https://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/excalibur-9-tray-26hr-timer-3926.html
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 05:45:35 AM »

I have one of those.

Why?  Because you simply accept that some pathetic "vacuum sealer" that won't even pull the moisture out of the food is somehow adequate?  Rise up, march on the manufacturer and demand that they upgrade you to more suck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2017, 07:34:08 AM »
"Rise up, march on the manufacturer and demand that they upgrade you to more suck."

I actually wanted a freeze dryer. Much better than dehydrators in so many ways.

The only problem is, a true freeze dryer? Even a relatively small one?

Well in excess of $1,500, and most are close to double that because they are so complex.