Author Topic: Food dehydrator  (Read 5185 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Food dehydrator
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 07:38:13 AM »
I used the new unit twice yesterday, both times to make treats for Seren.

First was quartered hotdogs coated with garlic powder. Those took about 6 hours to dry to a consistency that I think is appropriate for training treats. They still need to be refrigerated but they should be excellent.

I also sliced down a chicken breast and dehydrated that. I also ran it for 6 hours, and it wasn't quite done, but I had to go to bed so I packaged it up and put it in the fridge. Seren approves.

Next I'm going to try apples and strawberries for me, and then a beef liver for Seren.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »
A dehydrator caution: Do not try to dry habaneros or those teeny little hot tai birdseye peppers indoors.
Not even in the attached garage.
I wasn't at the Branch Davidian complex when Janet Reno pumped in the gas but it had to be comparable.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:56:52 PM by Kingcreek »
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 02:06:44 PM »
A dehydrator caution: Do not try to dry habaneros or those teeny little hot tai birdseye peppers indoors.
I wasn't at the Branch Davidian complex when Janet Reno pumped in the gas but it had to comparable.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Drying garlic coated hotdog chunks was more than enough!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2017, 02:27:35 PM »
I wasn't at the Branch Davidian complex when Janet Reno pumped in the gas but it had to comparable.

Finally! An excuse to build this: http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/tools/solar-food-dehydrator-plans-zm0z14jjzmar

... or just take the electric one outside?... NAH
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2017, 03:19:42 PM »
For traditional dehydrating, we've been really happy with the model never_retreat mentioned. Ours doesn't have the timer (https://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-3900-Deluxe-Tray-Dehydrator/dp/B001P2J3K0/), but it's been good.

For any that are curious, we've had a freeze dryer for a couple months now. We've been too busy to use it a ton, but have done 10 or so batches so far.

Downsides:
  • Cost. As Mike noted. A "small" 3-tray unit is low $2K, "standard" 4-tray is high $2K, large is near $4K. The trays are also larger as the unit gets larger.
  • Maintenance. To keep the price from going much, much higher, the units use commodity HVAC vacuum pumps. As such, to prevent early pump death due to the water and contaminants from the process the pump oil must be drained, water separated out (I freeze it for the purpose), and filtered after every batch. Not a huge deal, takes maybe 5 minutes/batch to swap out the oil, but non-DIY types would not likely be OK with it.
  • Batch time. How long a batch takes varies widely depending on what you're drying. 30-36 hours is about the average for me.
  • Noise and heat. The pump is decently loud, though several people have made noise-insulating enclosures with fans to keep the noise down. It also puts out a good bit of heat, and can't be placed in a garage if it's hot out, as cycle time increases greatly when environment temps start going over 80-90F.

Upsides:
  • Better nutrient retention than canning or traditional dehydrating.
  • Better rehydrated textures/flavor (for most things)
  • Long-term (~25 years with mylar and O2 absorbers) storage of things that can't really be long-term-stored other ways, or aren't as desirable in other ways. (e.g. yogurt, cheese, eggs, leaner meats, "complete" meals)

If you've ever had the freeze-dried backpacking meals, you'll have a good idea of what the result is like. In general the rehydrated food will have the same texture/taste as if they'd just been frozen and thawed. Some things work well, others don't, some things work well with some tweaks. For instance avocados don't rehdyrate with quite the right texture, but if you powder the result it makes guacamole just fine.

Some people like eating freeze-dried things directly for snacks, some don't. Things like FD'd strawberries, apples, watermelon, etc. I've found people either love or hate, not much in between. Though I suppose that's true of traditionally-dehydrated stuff, too.