Author Topic: . . . and Hamond crashes again  (Read 1568 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
. . . and Hamond crashes again
« on: June 11, 2017, 01:28:25 PM »
Richard Hammond crashed an electric sports car while test driving it in Switzerland:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/11/europe/richard-hammond-crash-top-gear/index.html

Not very good video of the crash:

https://youtu.be/kCwBBaZ7UAE

Looks like he messed up his left knee, but he appears to be OK otherwise.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: . . . and Hamond crashes again
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 02:23:12 PM »
Someone screwed up and identified the link as hammon crash TOP GEAR.

Yeah, that ship sailed, or car drove away, a long time ago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 04:15:51 PM »
Hammond can't crash because he is "a driving God!"
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 07:46:54 AM »
All three of them have had some impressive crashes, even James May.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:00:58 AM »
Not enough video to see very well, and I have no way to slow it down, but it looked much like he was off the line through the right hand corner, which left him WAAAY off the line for the left-hander, with no earthly possibility of hitting the apex.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 12:32:34 PM »
Not enough video to see very well, and I have no way to slow it down, but it looked much like he was off the line through the right hand corner, which left him WAAAY off the line for the left-hander, with no earthly possibility of hitting the apex.

He had a slight skid/slide in the right-hander, before losing it on the left-hander.  Looked a bit too fast, as well.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »
He had a slight skid/slide in the right-hander, before losing it on the left-hander.  Looked a bit too fast, as well.

Yes but, as I saw it (which is admittedly not well, because of the schizophrenic camera work and editing) he was either totally off the apex (and line) for the right hander, or was so massively late for the apex that the little skid was the result of trying (too late) to get back to the line and set himself up for the left-hander.

The little skid just set the stage for the big skid. As a professional race driver and instructor expressed it once, many years ago, tires have a fixed amount of friction to apply to the road. Whatever it is for that tire, it's 100%. That 100 percent can be used for accelerattion, deceleration, and/or cornering, but the total can never exceed 100 percent. So if you're using 75 percent to go around the corner, you ONLY have 25 percent left for braking. Try to use 26 percent for braking, and off you go.

Once the tires break traction, you MUST slow down (or straighten out) in order to regain traction. This is best seen at drag races. The death knell for a good run is "going up in smoke" off the starting line, because once you break traction you have to let off the gas to "hook up" again.

Back to Hammond: At 0:07 in the video, he was on the left side of the road with his front wheels still turned right, when he should have been on the right side (or in the center) of the road and already turning left into the apex of the left-hander. He was fooked basically from about 0:05 on ... or before.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:58:45 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 04:02:01 PM »
Sounds like the most dangerous thing about being Richard Hammond... is being Richard Hammond.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 04:37:01 PM »
I wonder if the electric power application and harvesting is seamless and intuitive. Even on high end and high horsepower gas cars there is some lag and a linear rise in torque and RPM even if you mat it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 01:33:46 AM »
Sounds like the most dangerous thing about being Richard Hammond... is being Richard Hammond.

Brad

Meh.

A big part of the dude's job is driving race cars and/or super cars as fast as he can.  You gonna wreck a couple.  The other presenters have wrecked them.  Professional Race Car drivers wreck pretty regular. The Stig put a Koenigsegg CCX through a tirewall and spun a couple hundred feet through the runoff.

Hammond had the misfortune of coming off the road on a corner that had a drop so he got a good roll going, and the batteries caught fire.  Drive fast and you will wreck occasionally.

It is true that his line for both those corners was pretty crappy.  I suspect he came into the first one too fast, and didn't get the car fully back under control before the road left him.

FWIW that's a 1200HP AWD electric car.  It probably gets going pretty quick without many of the audio and sensory clues a normal car gives.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 07:30:22 AM »
"The Stig put a Koenigsegg CCX through a tirewall and spun a couple hundred feet through the runoff."

I enjoyed that episode.

It also made Koenigsegg put a spoiler on the rear deck. The modified car was one of the fastest to ever go around the track.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 12:24:21 PM »
And now the Hamster has a new knee.  Or at least a rebuilt knee.

https://drivetribe.com/p/diG52lAZT9-UqACKIDDYSw?iid=Nm573F9QQtiPGhnZJr2zmw