Author Topic: Hearing Protection Act developments  (Read 3172 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Hearing Protection Act developments
« on: June 14, 2017, 04:09:38 PM »

http://www.pagunblog.com/2017/06/13/hearing-protection-act-loaded-onto-omnibus/
https://naturalresources.house.gov/uploadedfiles/discussion_draft_--_share_act.pdf

The HPA (suppressor de-NFAing) got folded into the SHARE Act. Which is basically an omnibus wishlist for pro-2A stuff. No poison pills so far. Strengthens FOPA, prohibits shotguns from being declared destructive devices, some of the various sporting purposes language, ban on banning lead ammo, ending ban on AP ammo import.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: Hearing Protection Act developments
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 04:21:19 PM »
Good to see that there's some movement on that, I hadn't heard anything in awhile.
They cancelled the hearing for it that was scheduled today due to the baseball practice shooting, hopefully just a delay and it doesn't derail it at all. I wouldn't expect it to but ya never know.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 04:40:13 PM »
Good to see that there's some movement on that, I hadn't heard anything in awhile.
They cancelled the hearing for it that was scheduled today due to the baseball practice shooting, hopefully just a delay and it doesn't derail it at all. I wouldn't expect it to but ya never know.

They canceled pretty much everything today, understandably.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 04:51:20 PM »
I am about ready to order my first suppressor.  Hopefully, the approval time frame will get shortened.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 05:12:50 PM »
I am about ready to order my first suppressor.  Hopefully, the approval time frame will get shortened.   =)

Yeah, it's running as long as 11 months.

Mine should be approved around September or October (I submitted last December). It would be nice to get the $200 back.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 05:45:00 PM »
It would be nice to get the $200 back.

LOL!   :rofl:
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 10:46:51 PM »
Yeah, it's running as long as 11 months.

Mine should be approved around September or October (I submitted last December). It would be nice to get the $200 back.
The dealer I intend to use speculated that the wait might shorten once the glut of orders last year gets done.  He said he was just now getting approvals on July orders from last year.  I just want to get the clock started even if it takes a year.

If the law passes, I do not expect to get my $200 back, but I might say that to the dealer and see if I get a laugh.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 01:30:43 AM »
prohibits shotguns from being declared destructive devices

I wonder if that would remove the ones that are currently on the list.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 08:02:33 AM »

That's in the bill as well. Refunds for any suppressor stamps back to October 2015, I believe. Idea is so that suppressor companies don't get a slump waiting on the legislation to pass. Pay a potential refundable $200 to get a suppressor before they're impossible to find for a year or two.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 09:14:35 AM »

It's in the bill, so I'd better get it back.

I'm still waiting on a $200 refund from December. I filed a Form 1, then wrote to cancel it. Months went by and I heard nothing, so I called, and was told that the woman who was processing my cancellation had quit, and had left "a lot of work undone". Apparently nobody thought it was important enough to take her work and do it. The paperwork for the refund was sent to the Treasury back in April, so maybe I'll see it next year. Meanwhile, I get a $50 fine if I forget to file a quarterly 941, even if I owe no tax.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 10:40:59 AM »
This is great, but honestly, I'll believe it when Trump signs it.  I think congress is going to screw us on it. 

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 10:45:51 AM »
I own one silencer and won't be buying another until the HPA passes and prices come down commenserate with complexity of the devices.  Many are simply far too expensive, so adding a $200 tax and 9-12 month wait is just too much to tolerate considering they're of limited utility when you mainly shoot on ranges requiring hearing protection.

However, once HPA passes and the new processes are in place, I intend to get a multi-cal can for my rifles.  I especially need one for my 17" 35whelen.  The only one that works for that caliber costs about $1k. :(

FWIW, I think the perception is shifting regarding the devices.  This weekend, a coworker, hunting buddy, and long-time friend held a "team building exercise" for a bunch of coworkers at his place in the country.  We spent the weekend eating good food and shooting guns, lots of guns (shotguns, revolvers, semiauto pistols, ARs, bolt rifles, etc).  Many of the attendees were not "gun culture" types, several were complete n00bs, and two were UK citizens who planned their vacation around this event.  Everyone liked my suppressed 22 pistol and commented on how pleasant it was to shoot without hearing protection.  Many were surprised at how difficult they were to get.  The UK contingent commented on how available they are back home and how they're viewed as a health and safety device, not a criminal-oriented one.

Chris

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 03:42:46 PM »
*kicks rocks*   I live in Illinois where they will still be illegal after this passes.   *kicks rocks*

I soooooooooo hate this state.  I can't wait to move to South Cackalackey...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »
[Checks conformation e-mail on lathe purchase again]

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 03:05:04 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 03:38:16 PM »
That sounds like it would eliminate state laws on Suppressors/silencers...

Not directly.

If the state was dumb enough to say "Any special toys listed in the NFA is banned", then yes. If they list out the things individually, it is not.

I emailed my US representative. I recommend others do the same.

https://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »
I wonder what finally caused them to let this out of committee. 

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 03:48:19 PM »
I wonder what finally caused them to let this out of committee.

Someone made a mistake, forgetting this is a bill Trump would support and sign.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 05:34:10 PM »
Someone made a mistake, forgetting this is a bill Trump would support and sign.
Or they have it on good authority the Senate will sit on it.  

I have a faint hope they may have finally figured out they might need to do something to protect their phony baloney jobs before the primaries come around next year.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 05:29:01 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-nras-idea-of-recreation-assault-rifles-armor-piercing-bullets-and-silencers/2017/09/11/6d22c616-9740-11e7-82e4-f1076f6d6152_story.html

Consider Title XV of the sportsmen’s bill, also known as the “Hearing Protection Act,” which makes it easier for gun owners to buy silencers for their weapons. The uninformed might suspect that silencers are used by people who want to fire weapons without being caught by cops or observed by witnesses. But more and more hunters are finding that conventional earplugs and muffs are not adequate for today’s weapons — for example, quail hunting with an M777 howitzer or grouse hunting with an FIM-92 Stinger missile launcher.
=D :laugh:
I thought this was funny.  Completely wrong, but funny.

HankB

• friend
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain