Author Topic: Forget cobalt, buy vanilla bean futures and SELL SELL SELL on Blueberries  (Read 1422 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/06/16/527576487/our-love-of-all-natural-is-causing-a-vanilla-shortage?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

Pretty much the only liquid vanilla we buy any more is the Kirkland Signature 16 ounce bottle of extract.  Among the best we have ever used and you cannot beat the price.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Forget cobalt, buy vanilla bean futures
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 10:56:51 AM »
So TP and vanilla extract for the apocalypse?  =D

I also buy the Costco stuff. Ridiculously good bargain.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 11:10:33 AM »
I have a subscription to Cook's Illustrated, one of the best (IMO) cooking rags out there. They did a test a few years ago on vanilla extracts and determined that instead of buying the upscale vanilla the best one to buy according to taste, usability, etc. was plain old McCormick Vanilla Extract.

After reading that I quit using all of the fancy ones and have pretty much stuck to McCormick. The only time I will use something else is when I want the little flecks of vanilla bean guts to be in the final product (i.e. creme brulee) and then I have a jar of vanilla bean paste from Williams-Sonoma.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 12:22:01 PM »
"Newman has switched suppliers to find a cheaper product.

"It's not certified organic. It's not fair-trade," he says. "There's a guilt I have over that, because we're talking about something that's all hand labor, and if these people aren't being treated fairly, it's really sad.""

Really? He's guilty, but he's still switching anyway?

Why?

More expensive means more money to the downtrodden little guys, right?

Isn't that what these idiots believe?

*expletive deleted*ing idiot...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 01:07:55 PM »
Seems to me like every once in a while, someone will start talking about a shortage of some kind of food.  I can recall coffee, chocolate, and bacon in the last couple of years.  But I haven't seen any empty shelves at the grocery stores around here... 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 01:10:20 PM »
Seems to me like every once in a while, someone will start talking about a shortage of some kind of food.  I can recall coffee, chocolate, and bacon in the last couple of years.  But I haven't seen any empty shelves at the grocery stores around here... 

Yeah, now that you mention it, it seems there has been an uptick in that over the last few years. Whiskey too. Seems like some industries have hired a clandestine marketing genius.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 01:30:14 PM »
Have we reached peak alarmist journalism?!?

The continued availability of products which at first seem to be becoming scarce says a huge amount about the flexibility and adaptability that competitive markets provide.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Buy Vanilla Bean Futures, but SELL SELL SELL on Blueberry...
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 01:55:26 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/fear-of-losing-blueberry-growers-as-prices-drop-crop-soars/2017/06/11/cc48a304-4e9d-11e7-b74e-0d2785d3083d_story.html?utm_term=.ec86c2f18ad0

One of the reasons for the drop in prices and profits is a multi-year boom in harvest that has led to surplus. The U.S. Department of Agriculture stepped in last year and allotted up to $13 million to buy surplus Maine blueberries and help stabilize prices. But excess supply remains.

Huh, imagine that. Government pays for all the surplus, but excess supply remanins. "We're incarcerating more people than ever before, but crime is down!!" Yeah, it's a mystery, all right.

Thanks again, WaPo journalists [spit] in proving your absolute inability to grasp anything outside of your warped view.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Buy Vanilla Bean Futures, but SELL SELL SELL on Blueberry...
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 02:03:16 PM »
Well, if I put vanilla extract on my blueberries, it should even prices out across the board, right?

But adding sugar is the wildcard...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 02:05:15 PM »
Actually, this may well be the next food to buy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnvGWHbPtZ0

BobR

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 03:10:53 PM »
Well the .gov could build huge climate controlled underground storage for the blueberries and make shriveled up blueberries from them and then give them back so that blueberry "raisins" could become the next hipster food.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 03:48:18 PM »
^^^ Damn, Bob, add in the cranberries and you will have berry farmers in the NE, Midwest and PNW voting for you.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 04:16:49 PM »
^^^^^

I missed out on the big cheese buy and give away program that has been flourishing for years so maybe I can get in on the berry program. :)

bob

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »
Yeah, now that you mention it, it seems there has been an uptick in that over the last few years. Whiskey too. Seems like some industries have hired a clandestine marketing genius.  :laugh:

I blame Justified for the whiskey shortage.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 04:40:06 PM »

Bunch of reasons. Just in time supply chains mean you're much much more likely to have unscheduled production interruptions. Distribution can be tricky. People also make regional or short term shortages into apocalyptic things because eggs went up a dollar for a couple weeks or supermarkets only stocked sixty kinds of chocolate instead of eighty. With the incredibly amazing diversity in our supermarkets, substantial shortages of X probably aren't noticeable to virtually anyone that isn't extremely brand loyal. There's just so many different suppliers.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Duplicates mergenated.

I'm going long on Mulberries and Nocino !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 06:32:12 PM »
I have a subscription to Cook's Illustrated, one of the best (IMO) cooking rags out there. They did a test a few years ago on vanilla extracts and determined that instead of buying the upscale vanilla the best one to buy according to taste, usability, etc. was plain old McCormick Vanilla Extract.

After reading that I quit using all of the fancy ones and have pretty much stuck to McCormick. The only time I will use something else is when I want the little flecks of vanilla bean guts to be in the final product (i.e. creme brulee) and then I have a jar of vanilla bean paste from Williams-Sonoma.

bob

I think I read that same article online. IIRC, they also said that natural works best in non-baked foods, as heat degrades the taste very easily, and that artificial is best for baked because it doesn't degrade.

I've been using Watkins Baking Vanilla for a long time. It's a mixture of natural and artificial vanilla, and seems to work well for everything.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Duplicates mergenated.

I'm going long on Mulberries and Nocino !!!
Errr... they weren't duplicates

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought