Author Topic: So is there a long-term plan to incorporate libertarianism into the Government?  (Read 1215 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://www.npr.org/2017/06/18/531929217/democracy-in-chains-traces-the-rise-of-american-libertarianism

I have not read this book yet, but will put a hold on it when the library buys it.  I have to study up on James Buchanan and see to what degree his beliefs are being incorporated into today's political discourse.

I thought this was interesting because of the recent discussion on the long-term plans of the Left.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Holy crap what a pile of lies that review is. I don't know what's in the book exactly but if the excerpts and what the reviewer says about them are accurate then this book (and the review) is nothing but a vicious hit piece against the idea of small government and liberty.

And going back another century, the book locates the movement's center in the fundamentalism of Vice President John C. Calhoun, for whom the ideas of capital and self-worth were inextricably intertwined. (Spoilers: It was about slavery.)

Get that? Libertarians want slavery back!

I've said elsewhere that progressives are utter scum and this is just another example.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Rather than have your local library buy the book, resulting in profit to the writer, have them do a "Prospector" search for it in other libraries in the nation.

I finally found a few weird books in weird library systems.

Had a heck of a time finding the original "The Blue Lagoon" book (1920s, fiction).  It was buried in the sociology section of a library in some rinky-dinky little college somewhere.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
http://www.npr.org/2017/06/18/531929217/democracy-in-chains-traces-the-rise-of-american-libertarianism

I have not read this book yet, but will put a hold on it when the library buys it. 

I think maybe I see what you did there. If that's what you were doing there.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I think if I read this book, I'll be sad, because the whole time I'll be wishing the Libertarian/Right axis of things was actually that competent, and could take such a long view.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I think if I read this book, I'll be sad, because the whole time I'll be wishing the Libertarian/Right axis of things was actually that competent, and could take such a long view.

IKR? Like how we're all wishing Putin really did care enough about America to keep people like Hillary Clinton out of office.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

This does make me wonder if the Koch brothers really are all that.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
What planning can you do for the purpose of eliminating laws and removing regulations?  All I can really think of is to put in sunset provisions on all new laws where possible and remove the authority of federal departments/agencies for creating enforceable regulations.  Best plan I can think of is to set up a standard 1 or 10 year sunset rider and get agreeable Congressmen to attempt to add it to every piece of legislation that is considered.  That won't happen without agreement of the leadership.  On the second, write legislation better.  Same issue.

Have libertarians ever had significant representation in Congress so that the stuff above could actually be done?  Maybe partially in the 90's? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
What planning can you do for the purpose of eliminating laws and removing regulations?  All I can really think of is to put in sunset provisions on all new laws where possible and remove the authority of federal departments/agencies for creating enforceable regulations.  Best plan I can think of is to set up a standard 1 or 10 year sunset rider and get agreeable Congressmen to attempt to add it to every piece of legislation that is considered.  That won't happen without agreement of the leadership.  On the second, write legislation better.  Same issue.

Have libertarians ever had significant representation in Congress so that the stuff above could actually be done?  Maybe partially in the 90's?  

LOL no... the book is more like: "Here's the tiny handful of smart structural things the Right has been doing, like School Vouchers, and we don't like that, so let's weave them all together into a big conspiracy!"

This does make me wonder if the Koch brothers really are all that we've got...

Fixed it.  =|
I promise not to duck.