Author Topic: NJ Court: Can’t Criminalize Possession of Lawful Object for Self Defense  (Read 1282 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170616/nj-court-state-can-t-criminalize-possession-of-pencils-and-other-lawful-objects-for-home-self-defense

I thought this was an interesting link from one of the NRA emails.  Gives a good view of where leftist liberals would take our right of self defense if they could.  Beyond that, this looks like a case where the police and prosecutors were just inventing something to prosecute the guy with.  

Last week, the Supreme Court of New Jersey upheld the right to lawfully possess and hold a weapon for self-defense in the home, rejecting arguments advanced by the State that would treat a citizen like a criminal for simply answering an angry knock at his own door while holding an object that was legal to possess.

This is one thing I have thought about with regard to concealed carry reciprocity.  If we get that passed, this sort of thing will end up being the next fight.  There will be cases pop up of prosecutors doing their best to persecute out of state gun carriers.  I guess there will also be people who are grossly ignorant of the law where they are traveling also. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
I guess there will also be people who are grossly ignorant of the law where they are traveling also. 

There already are. About every six months we hear about another poor soul who gets busted for carrying in New York City. More often than not, they have a permit from their home state and had no idea that it wasn't honored in NYC.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
There already are. About every six months we hear about another poor soul who gets busted for carrying in New York City. More often than not, they have a permit from their home state and had no idea that it wasn't honored in NYC.

This.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
I was thinking of the woman who was carrying a gun at the Statue of Liberty and asked a police officer where to store her pistol.  I figure it will be worse with reciprocity. 

I am NOT saying I don't want reciprocity.  I just know there will be more fights afterward to make it work right.  Then again, there will always be a fight as politicians are always trying to roll back individual rights. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
I already know that there are people ignorant that different states have different laws, including some cities.

What disappoints me is how many I've encountered who think it is perfectly reasonable to expect a gun owner travelling interstate to not only know the laws of his origin and end states, but every state in between, including county and city specific laws.  Not to mention following their arbitrary demands.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Not to mention following their arbitrary demands.

Also not to mention how often those demands can change. Almost every time I do a road trip and check current laws, something is different. Sometimes for the good (like WA accepting UT non-resident permits), sometimes for the bad, like vehicle carry rules and rules for joints that serve alcohol (as in restaurants, not just bars).

I think it's only because of "concealed means concealed" that we don't hear of lots and lots of incidents regarding violation of state/city regs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Also not to mention how often those demands can change. Almost every time I do a road trip and check current laws, something is different. Sometimes for the good (like WA accepting UT non-resident permits), sometimes for the bad, like vehicle carry rules and rules for joints that serve alcohol (as in restaurants, not just bars).

I mentioned a couple of years ago that my Missouri permit was no good in Wisconsin, because it was issued in Feb. 2013, instead of August 2013. When I got my permit renewed in 2016, the problem went away.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife