Author Topic: Congressional heads in the sand  (Read 1091 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Congressional heads in the sand
« on: June 17, 2017, 03:04:13 PM »
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/15/how-congress-failed-to-plan-for-doomsday-215266

This was an eye-opener for me. I had no idea that the House of Representatives has no plan for recovery in the event of a disaster.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Congressional heads in the sand
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 03:22:18 PM »
Ironically funny considering how much time I recall having to spend on COOP related crap, I'm pretty sure by order of congress.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 03:25:10 PM »
Heads in the sand?  No.  We don't need Congress everyday.  We could go weeks or months without Congress and never notice.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 04:43:39 PM »
Heads in the sand?  No.  We don't need Congress everyday.  We could go weeks or months without Congress and never notice.

I've often recommended that, in parallel with my absurd notion that for every law passed, two must be repealed.

Terry, 230RN

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 06:17:40 PM »
Congress?
Heads in sand would be an improvement over where their heads are currently located.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 10:54:06 AM »

Article is terrible. There is and HAS always been procedures. For House of Representatives:  "When vacancies happen in the Representation from any State, the Executive Authority thereof shall issue Writs of Election to fill such Vacancies." Article I, Section 2, Clause 4. In English, you HAVE to hold a special election. Rules for that is by state. For Senate, governor appoints the interim senator.

Article author failed civics 101. The special election requirement is a feature, not a problem. As long as one Rep survives, House of Representatives can function. Senators can be refilled by their governors. So no big problem there. Changing this situation would require a Constitutional amendment.

In my opinion, it would be a very bad idea to let governors pick both Senators and Reps during a mass casualty event. Apparently the rule that did pass is a law requiring states to hold expedited special elections within 49 days, if more than 100 congressional seats were vacant.

So in other words, we do actually have procedures in place for mass casualty events in Congress. It is intentionally not fast or efficient. Nor does it need to be. In an emergency, Executive handles the day to day stuff of running all the government agencies. Presidential secession rules were worked out in the Cold War. Article just failed to make it clear or concise. Because why point out reality when you can write sensationalist dreck for clicks.

Short story long, we're fine.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.