Author Topic: Yoga for your back pain  (Read 956 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Yoga for your back pain
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:26:12 AM »
I've experienced debilitating back pain after yoga. I think because it doesn't feel like exercise it's easier to push my body past where it belongs.
265lb deadlifts? Yeah it's easier to listen when my back says "not today cupcake"
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 09:50:10 AM »
I've experienced debilitating back pain after yoga. I think because it doesn't feel like exercise it's easier to push my body past where it belongs.
265lb deadlifts? Yeah it's easier to listen when my back says "not today cupcake"

I don't want to sound like a hack groupie as I've mentioned this guy before, but doing Cameron Shayne's "Budokon for Beginners" (Budokon is a mix of yoga and martial arts) gives me a really good workout and has been great for my back.

https://www.amazon.com/Cameron-Shayne-Budokon-Beginners/dp/B00068RZ18/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497965908&sr=8-2&keywords=budokon+yoga

A potentially easier flow is "Yoga for Inflexible People". It is much less intensive than Budokon yoga, but for me, is harder (and better for training) on the balance side of things. The stretching portions are very easy though, and I think it would be difficult to injure yourself on them. The narrator is a little annoying. The DVD has a ton of exercise regimes that target different forms.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodywisdom-Media-Yoga-Inflexible-People/dp/B0002CZTOI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1497966497&sr=8-5&keywords=yoga+for+inflexible+people+dvd
(This seems to be an older version. There's another one with a different cover for 1/3 of the price)

Anyway, this week I'm realizing how much yoga helps my back. It's an incredibly hot record breaking heatwave mixed with increasingly crappy air, so I have been pretty much a couch potato and computer chair potato the last several days, and I'm already feeling it in my back. I was actually thinking I have to get the "inflexible" DVD out, as it's more like stretching and doesn't get me into a sweat. But the point is, for my body at least, is that for the yoga (or stretching or whatever) to work, I have to keep it up. If I don't, and then get into bad habits like sitting a lot, I can feel it in my back within a week.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 10:57:40 AM »
On a similar subject, doing yoga and other stretching is also good for butt and leg pain for those of you who sit on your wallet.  And stop sitting on you wallet, by the way.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 12:23:11 PM »

Used to do yoga to reduce injury while doing army stuff. Worked quite well. My joints are in decent condition, relatively speaking. Many guys my age were not quite so lucky.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.