Author Topic: Harbor Freight achieves perpetual motion device  (Read 1419 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Harbor Freight achieves perpetual motion device
« on: June 25, 2017, 10:19:24 PM »
Harbor Freight is advertising an electric pole saw and they say it is 1.5 horsepower and draws 7 amps.

Hm. 7  amps X 125 volts = 875 watts.

Hm. 875 watts  Ã· 746 watts per horsepower = 1.17 horsepower.

Hm.  1.5 horsepower advertised  Ã· 1.17 horsepower by the numbers = 128% efficiency.

Apart from mere "advertising hype" and pure "typographical error," can anyone see how they could make such a technical mistake in the arithmetic?

???

I've got a cortex vortex over how they could screw up this one, even using Occam's razor and just saying "it was a boo-boo."

I've been a little off my stride lately, but that one kind of leaped out at me.  I know I'm going to feel like an idiot when someone points out my error in thinking.  :facepalm:

Terry

REF:
Page 6, middle right, their "Super Coupon, June 2017, Issue 8724-2," but you can take my word for it: "7 Amps, 1.5 HP."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:43:09 PM by 230RN »

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Harbor Freight achieves perpetual motion device
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 10:49:40 PM »
1.5 HP is its maximum power output.  It can't sustain that for very long but it can achieve it. 
7 amps is what it pulls under no load.  HTH
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 10:53:40 PM »
Honestly, many motor ratings on consumer products are vastly over-inflated.

I have a shop vacuum that advertises on it, 5 peak horsepower.  That plugs into a 120V receptacle using a length of 16awg cord....

The CPSC finally started coming down on small engine manufacturers for the same reason.  Now you'll only find CC's of displacement listed on a small engine.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 10:57:37 PM »

I have a shop vacuum that advertises on it, 5 peak horsepower.  That plugs into a 120V receptacle using a length of 16awg cord....

The CPSC finally started coming down on small engine manufacturers for the same reason.  Now you'll only find CC's of displacement listed on a small engine.

I was part of a class action settlement a few years ago on air compressor ratings.  We won the case, but I didn't get a damn thing.  Not even a worthless coupon.  I assume the lawyers made $millions.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 01:43:00 AM »
I thought maybe they were screwing up with power factor or something, but that seems to work out backwards.  You'd need even more (measured, lagging) current to develop 1.5 HP than 7 amps.  Getting kinda rusty on this stuff, though.  I no longer do it on a day-to-day basis.

Sounds ike that's the no-load value, though, as mentioned.  Also sounds like a "hyoe," as also mentioned.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:56:36 AM by 230RN »

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 09:09:25 AM »

This.

Those ratings are only accurate on brand-new, lab tested equipment.  Nothing in the real world comes close.  That applies to cars, planes, boats, women, tools, lawn mowers, and everything else.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 10:51:35 AM »
Sometimes called ILS power ratings. If Lightning Strikes.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 07:30:05 PM »
Sometimes called ILS power ratings. If Lightning Strikes.

:rofl:

I guess that's the case.  I got "triggered" by the advertised numbers, though.  Even without a calculator, they didn't "look" right...

"Hmmmm.  Seven times one hundred equals seven hundred watts.  That's even less than a horsepower.  Oh, wait, seven times one hundred ten is seven hundred and seventy watts... still not even close."

Terry reaches for one of the many calculators around the house, each one parked near a gun, all for instant access....

"Hmmm... that's for DC, though.  I wonder if they screwed it up with power factors... let's see, a running motor ought to have about an 0.80 PF..."

At about that point, I realized how rusty I was on that stuff.  I just wanted to know how they could make that mistake and decided to consign the problem to the hive mind here.

Terry
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 07:51:13 PM by 230RN »