Author Topic: Wonder where he was headed  (Read 3212 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Wonder where he was headed
« on: June 26, 2017, 07:01:42 AM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/pasadena-police-stop-leads-weapons-cache-discovery/

Ignoring the incredibly poor reporting, that's an odd combination of weapons for only having ~150 rounds.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Wonder where he was headed
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 08:49:55 AM »
Oh no - I'm a felon!  ;/

One package indicated the bullets were hollow points, a type of expanding bullet that is illegal.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:50:54 AM »
And then we have this little gem -

One package indicated the bullets were hollow points, a type of expanding bullet that is illegal.

Since when are HP bullets illegal in Kommiefornia?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 08:55:35 AM »
And then we have this little gem -

Since when are HP bullets illegal in Kommiefornia?

I think they are actually illegal in a few cities, but certainly not the state (though I'm sure they'd like to, for the feel goodz).

Edit: I should have said "illegal to sell". San Francisco, and possibly a few other cities. In a cursory search, I couldn't find current info on it. Illegal to sell is not illegal to possess though.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:45:14 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »
Is it just me or does it look like the home made suppressor on the pistol is so crooked the bullet would hit the tube itself?

I like the way they said "perhaps" 150 rounds, as if that's such an incredible amount that mere humans can't count that high.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »
$50,500 bail for possession of two guns and some ammo.  Nice job, Commiefornia.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 09:11:32 AM »
$50,500 bail for possession of two guns and some ammo.  Nice job, Commiefornia.

Well it was a cache and he did piss in public.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 09:42:16 AM »
Inside a duffel bag, authorities found an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle with a collapsible stock that was loaded with a single bullet; a .40-caliber handgun with markings indicating its use was restricted to law enforcement or government use; several loaded high-capacity magazines and two small bags of bullets.

There also were what appeared to be silencers machined from pipe, a machete-like knife, rope, a Bible and a notebook containing writings that investigators were still trying to decipher, authorities said.
I am not sure about the legalities of possessing the guns themselves.  If the "silencers" were real and unregistered, that alone could put him away for a while.

Do you think the handgun was just a Glock police trade in with old LEO only magazines?   =)

He was "caught" simply because he couldn't find a restroom.   Not very smart. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 11:22:43 AM »
But how is a length of pipe a "silencer"? Is this sheriff's department qualified to determine if a length of tube is a silencer, as opposed to a length of tube? I've tested .22 pistols that came from the manufacturer with fake "silencers" that looked a lot more real than what this guy had ... but didn't function to reduce sound sufficiently to be classified as a "silencer" (or "suppressor," to be more correct).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 11:23:59 AM »

Do you think the handgun was just a Glock police trade in with old LEO only magazines?   =)

Probably bought from CDNN or J&G Sales. They often get large lots of police trade-ins.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 12:05:12 PM »
But how is a length of pipe a "silencer"? Is this sheriff's department qualified to determine if a length of tube is a silencer, as opposed to a length of tube? I've tested .22 pistols that came from the manufacturer with fake "silencers" that looked a lot more real than what this guy had ... but didn't function to reduce sound sufficiently to be classified as a "silencer" (or "suppressor," to be more correct).
That is the question.  For the purposes of booking him and the press release, it is a scary silencer. 

I was curious if a threaded pipe coupling with a drilled cap on the end would accomplish anything.  Probably a little. 

If it is actually fake, what laws was he breaking?  Concealed gun laws?  What are the rules on carrying large knives in California?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 02:41:54 PM »
Assume all facts in question are due to the ignorance of the reporter.

If someone goes through the trouble to make pipes and endcaps (they look a bit like Maglite bodies, where a lot of pre-made wink-and-nod "NOT A SILENCER!"-parts are sold online.) that are all properly threaded for a suppressor, that's generally the hard part.  Drilling holes and denting out a stack of freeze plugs to make rudimentary cone-baffles is the easy part. And you can skip the coning process, trading some dB's for ease of manufacture. So I'll assume they were filled with either baffles, or perhaps at least Brillo pad.

Hollowpoints? As noted, illegal to sell in some CA cities, not state-wide that I'm aware of.

As to the LEO/Military Restricted marking, that's almost always on the magazines. And even if they're really "old" magazines, that makes them '94 ban era over 10 round mags, and over 10 rounds is illegal in CA in all circumstances, even "CA Pre-Ban" as of last year (NRA fighting in court...)

California laws not withstanding, what an idiot.  Even if he was up to something purposely evil, doing anything that's arrestable or cause for police contact when you're carrying a bunch of illegal hardware...  :facepalm:

Oh... BTW.   :rofl:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NTC-NTC0010-0-62-x-24-MagLite-D-Cell-Super-Combo-Solvent-Trap-Adapter-44-Light-Bulb-End-Cap-8-Storage-Cups-2D-Cell/581545626
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 03:22:17 PM »

Pretty sure that's a Hi-Point so the "restricted" markings are probably just wishful thinking on the manufacturer's part.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 04:39:38 PM »
He was essentially carrying concealed weapons and apparently loaded.  He probably did not have permit to carry. 

That is a pretty big knife.  What are the knife restrictions there?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 04:42:36 PM »
Pretty sure that's a Hi-Point so the "restricted" markings are probably just wishful thinking on the manufacturer's part.

Or more likely the restricted markings didn't even exist on the mags anywhere. I'd bet $20 that the ignorant reporter performed a cursory search of "High Capacity Magazines + California" and came across mags marked LEO/MIL etc.  And then the reporter decided "That's a thing", and assumed it must have been present in the case of the LEO show-n-tell table's contents.
I promise not to duck.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 04:49:48 PM »
That is a pretty big knife.  What are the knife restrictions there?

At the state level, not a lot.  Fixed-blade knives must be carried openly.  Switchblades must have blades < 2" long.  Knives must be folded when carried concealed. Dirks and daggers cannot be carried concealed.  (Thread drift: there was a court ruling a while back which stated that a dirk or dagger was legal to carry inside a backpack.)

http://www.knifeup.com/california-knife-and-balisong-law/

Some cities, including Los Angeles, have their own restrictions.

http://www.knifeup.com/los-angeles-california-knife-laws/

It does not appear, from the OP article, that the knife was an issue in Pasadena.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama