Author Topic: I've become a lot more restrictionist when it comes to immigration.  (Read 5977 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: I've become a lot more restrictionist when it comes to immigration.
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2017, 09:23:04 AM »
You're missing the the point.

Opponents of a rational immigration policy frequently say "actually you just don't want unpopular races and religions here, it's got nothing to do with the law."  And comments like "while we're kicking out the illegals let's add in Muslims" tend to prove them right.

There'd be a lot less hype and controversy if support for enforcing basic immigration laws didn't come with stuff like that.

Uh huh. You're right. If everyone, everywhere, had perfectly clear motives, then no one would ever paint with a broad brush, because people everywhere are just good people with the best intentions....

Wait, what?

Lots of people have mixed motives for what they do. For example, to claim that the Spanish who came over were just looking to subjugate the people here and take their land (the modern interpretation) is missing the point that people are complex and so are their motivations. The Spaniards wanted gold!!! And RICHES! Yes, some wanted that most. Some were patriots who wanted to conquer land for their nation. Some were devout people who wanted to reach a lost people for Christ. The vast majority had a mix of ALL of those and more.  

So too is this debate. No man alive is pure in motive. I'm sure there is some amount of fear of "the other" in many who support restrictions. Just as there is some hatred of "the same" (which is in reality "the other", but who happen to be fellow countrymen) in those who support more free immigration. (Or are you going to deny that?)

Focusing attacks on a very small, but less defensible part of an argument is sophistry. Is there fear? Of course. Is it justified? Perhaps. Is it the most important argument? Not hardly.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2017, 10:29:46 AM »
Focusing attacks on a very small, but less defensible part of an argument is sophistry. Is there fear? Of course. Is it justified? Perhaps. Is it the most important argument? Not hardly.
What would happen to internet discussions if people stopped doing that?  The horror!   :O
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 06:04:29 PM »
Who has trustworthy stats on the decline of border crossings and self-deportations?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 12:10:32 AM »
We just need to tread very carefully with how we handle illegal immigration and deportations.

Last time we threatened the Democrats supply of cheap labor, they started the Civil War.
I promise not to duck.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 01:28:02 AM »
I'm a legal immigrant.  First generation American here...   My family moved here from Brazil when I was 11 years old.  They did everything right. Admittedly, we had a slightly easier time because my mother is an American citizen.  But I (and my brothers) all had to be naturalized.  My dad still has a green card.  I think at this point he figures he's too old to go through the whole process anyways.

In any case.  One of the things that pisses me off to no end is people cheating the system.  And immigration is no different.  I seriously believe we need a four step program to get illegal immigrants out of this country.

Step one is to build the damn wall.  Is it going to be expensive?  You bet.  Is it worth it?  Hell yes.  We have to stop the tide of illegals coming into this country for a handout.

Step two is a voluntary self-deportation.  Why would they voluntarily self-deport?  Because that's the only way they'll ever be allowed back into this country.  *IF* they return to their country of origin, then they may get in line to enter the country legally.   During this step, if you are not a legal immigrant or citizen, you CANNOT collect a single benefit.  No food stamps. No section 8. No TANF.  NOTHING.  This would be at most a three month window.

Step three is the last phase during which they may re-enter the country.  This is the cutoff phase.   All employers are mandated to use e-verify to ensure their employees are in the country legally.  If someone is not in this country legally, then employers may not deduct their wages from their taxes.  This *should* eliminate the vast majority of those working illegally.  Combined with the cutoff of benefits, this should eliminate the majority of the draw for those in the country illegally.  Again, this would at most be a three month window.

Step four is the involuntary phase.  If you are in this country illegally, and you are caught, then you are automatically deported back to your country of origin.  There is no appeal, no delay, nothing.  You're bussed to the border, shoved out the gate, and it's slammed behind you.  Permanently.  If you are deported during phase four, you may never re-enter this country.  No temporary visas, no work visas, nothing.  You are permanently persona non grata.  Have family here in the US?  Too bad.  Should have left during the voluntary phases.   There is no appeal, no waiver.  If you apply for a visa, it is summarily denied without further review.

Basically put, it's a matter of eliminating the reward, and increasing the risk.  At most, you've got six months to get your ass back across the border if you ever want the opportunity to re-enter the US (hence the importance of the wall as step 1).   
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2017, 08:25:50 AM »
Step four is the involuntary phase.  If you are in this country illegally, and you are caught, then you are automatically deported back to your country of origin.  There is no appeal, no delay, nothing.  You're bussed to the border, shoved out the gate, and it's slammed behind you.  Permanently.  If you are deported during phase four, you may never re-enter this country.  No temporary visas, no work visas, nothing.  You are permanently persona non grata.  Have family here in the US?  Too bad.  Should have left during the voluntary phases.   There is no appeal, no waiver.  If you apply for a visa, it is summarily denied without further review.

Here is my suggestion for Step 4A
If after being deported under step 4 and are subsequently caught on US soil you are subject to "High Altitude Repatriation(HAR)".
Flown to country of origin and ejected from aircraft over closest uninhabited spot to point of origin after being tagged with an embossed metal plate with ID and reason for HAR.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

just Warren

• friend

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2017, 12:08:30 AM »

It sounds good but can it be done?

No. There's no way it can work. The author happily glosses over the problem of under-the-table payments, phony social security cards, and several other aspects of the problem.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2017, 01:42:55 PM »
Flown to country of origin and ejected from aircraft over closest uninhabited spot to point of origin after being tagged with an embossed metal plate with ID and reason for HAR.

With or without parachute?
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2017, 03:14:41 PM »
No. There's no way it can work. The author happily glosses over the problem of under-the-table payments, phony social security cards, and several other aspects of the problem.

It might go a long way towards employing Americans though, even if it doesn't totally solve the illegals problem.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2017, 04:29:42 PM »
I don't understand how illegals can take "regular" jobs today, anyway. I think for the past 20 years or so, any time I've started a new job I have been required tro show proof that I'm legally allowed to work in the United States. What am I missing?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: I've become a lot more restrictionist when it comes to immigration.
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2017, 04:38:42 PM »
I don't understand how illegals can take "regular" jobs today, anyway. I think for the past 20 years or so, any time I've started a new job I have been required tro show proof that I'm legally allowed to work in the United States. What am I missing?
Depends a lot on the type of job, and also knowing where to look for the job.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2017, 04:52:40 PM »

A traitorous special interest group working on your behalf? 

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2017, 08:58:28 PM »
I don't understand how illegals can take "regular" jobs today, anyway. I think for the past 20 years or so, any time I've started a new job I have been required to show proof that I'm legally allowed to work in the United States. What am I missing?

Showing of proof doesn't work so well, obviously.  It was just a few years ago that I read about a bunch of illegals busted working as aircraft mechanics at the Charlotte, NC airport.  I read about it in a newspaper.  As I was waiting for a flight out of the Charlotte airport.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2017, 12:20:30 PM »

The majority of illegal aliens who work have fake ids / SS cards.  This is a felony, but no one cares.

The gov runs a program called e-verify where employees can check and see if the SS numbers are valid.  Participation is not mandatory.  Making it mandatory would greatly help drive out illegal aliens.

Congress has refused to do this, for obvious reasons.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2017, 12:52:10 PM »
Tuckerr debates a VP of Goldman Sachs who used a made-up SSN to get her job.   Why is she not in jail ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjR3xLN6IyA
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2017, 03:38:44 PM »
Here is my suggestion for Step 4A
If after being deported under step 4 and are subsequently caught on US soil you are subject to "High Altitude Repatriation(HAR)".

Too extreme for mainstream America.  Life in a penal colony might go over better.

Of course, we would have to HAVE a penal colony available.  It should someplace nigh impossible to get back from on one's own.  If only we had such a place in reach....

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.