Author Topic: Man tries to open airliner door in flight  (Read 3203 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Man tries to open airliner door in flight
« on: July 08, 2017, 10:36:59 AM »
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/florida-man-charged-with-interfering-with-crew-on-seattle-to-beijing-flight/

I have always wondered: can you really open an airliner door in flight?  Don't they have safety interlocks and such?  I remember reading that this had been done to 727 rear flight stairs after DB Cooper.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Man tries to open airliner door in flight
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 10:56:43 AM »
Everything I've read says it's impossible due to the air pressure difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 11:03:03 AM »
Everything I've read says it's impossible due to the air pressure difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ ???

The air pressure is less on the outside of the plane.

Although poorly reported, this would imply that the locks are mechanically pressure-sensitive, though, and would have opened at a low altitude:

One flight attendant later reported that the door could have opened if it was fully disarmed at the altitude they were flying over the northwest end of Vancouver Island, B.C.

Are you thinking of trying to open a car door underwater, mayhaps?  I understand that's virtually impossible deeper than about 9 feet unless you open a window or something to let water in to equalize the pressure.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:19:23 AM by 230RN »

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »
The latching lugs on the doors are on the inside of the airplane frame.  The interior cabin pressure is trying to push the door out, which means the pressure is also pushing the lugs against the frame.  Under the full pressurization, there is 8 PSId pushing on the doors, and everything else.  So, 8 PSI on a door with roughly 2,000 square inches of area means no one can open a door in flight.

At lower pressurization, maybe it could happen.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
The passenger was using a dependent pass, meaning his is the son of an employee.  That guy will never fly on Delta again and his parent might lose pass benefits too.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 11:33:08 AM »
More door info: the window exits, a.k.a. over wing emergency exits, are plug-type doors.  Those doors have to be pulled into the cabin to open them, so not even The Hulk could open those. 

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 05:47:52 PM »
More door info: the window exits, a.k.a. over wing emergency exits, are plug-type doors.  Those doors have to be pulled into the cabin to open them, so not even The Hulk could open those.  

Awww, I bet he could!    I recall an episode of "THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN" in which he kicked an airplane door and the whole thing broke off and flew off the jet, causing gnarly depressurization.  Anything ol' Six Mil.  can  do the Hulk can do!

This has been your physics lesson for the day! [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 06:01:58 PM »
More door info: the window exits, a.k.a. over wing emergency exits, are plug-type doors.  Those doors have to be pulled into the cabin to open them, so not even The Hulk could open those. 

Puny god airplane door
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »
Puny Civilian Aircraft.

The Chair Force opens the passenger doors* all time on their aircraft.  In fact, the accommodations suck so bad that most of the passengers get off mid-flight.

*- They even have a back door to throw the passengers luggage and other carry-on items out the back.  The Chair Force really sucks when it comes to "Customer Friendly Service".

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 04:43:36 PM »
But I know from watching movies that a bullet penetrating a window or the air frame will cause an entire section of the plane to fall off and several people to be sucked out.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 06:05:22 PM »
But I know from watching movies that a bullet penetrating a window or the air frame will cause an entire section of the plane to fall off and several people to be sucked out.

I've often wanted people who believe that to explain why they think anti-aircraft guns tend to be large calibers with exploding projectiles, rather than just handgun bullets loaded for long range.  None have given a reason yet.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 09:21:24 AM »

My guess would be that the Hulk's feet would pierce the fuselage before the door gave way.
I promise not to duck.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 11:01:44 AM »
A thought (the lawyer in me.  Sorry.)  An attempt to open the door puts me and my loved ones in imminent risk of serious physical harm or death, as it could cause catastrophic decompression, uncontrolled altitude loss, and plane crash.  If I kill the guy trying to open the door, is that justified self-defense/defense of others?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 11:37:13 AM »
Puny Civilian Aircraft.

The Chair Force opens the passenger doors* all time on their aircraft.  In fact, the accommodations suck so bad that most of the passengers get off mid-flight.

*- They even have a back door to throw the passengers luggage and other carry-on items out the back.  The Chair Force really sucks when it comes to "Customer Friendly Service".

United strives to meet the Chair Force's "Customer Friendly Service."
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 12:05:43 PM »
A thought (the lawyer in me.  Sorry.)  An attempt to open the door puts me and my loved ones in imminent risk of serious physical harm or death, as it could cause catastrophic decompression, uncontrolled altitude loss, and plane crash.  If I kill the guy trying to open the door, is that justified self-defense/defense of others?

Only if you're above a state that has a Stand Your Air law.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 03:55:49 PM »

Only if you're above a state that has a Stand Your Air law.

Nice.  Well played.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 04:01:04 PM »

United strives to meet the Chair Force's "Customer Friendly Service."

... and United gets its customers to pay for the service.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 04:52:21 PM »

Yes it is, and there is case history for it.  Remember the Southwest flight where three or four of the passengers literally sat on a guy who was trying a similar stupid stunt?  That guy died.  No charges were filed against the passengers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Airlines_Flight_1763

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 08:04:50 AM »

If you could actually do so at altitude, yes. Since you cannot, no. It makes plenty of money for lawyers (and judges ;) ) when a defendant thinks their life is in danger when it actually is not. Answer of course is "yes", but arrived at in a potentially expensive manner. Fly320s points out this happened, thankfully without charges being filed.

The doors are designed by engineers. You're not opening them in flight barring explosives or the aircraft experiencing rapid unscheduled disassembly.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 09:22:02 AM »

You're the lawyer and former prosecutor, what do you think?

It works for me ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
The doors are designed by engineers. You're not opening them in flight barring explosives or the aircraft experiencing rapid unscheduled disassembly.

Those outward-opening cargo doors that brought down a couple of jumbo jets and killed two or three hundred people were designed by those same engineers of whom you speak ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Airlines_Flight_981

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_811

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_DC-10#Cargo_door_problem
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design