Author Topic: Marine aircraft crashes. At least 16 presumed dead.  (Read 984 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Marine aircraft crashes. At least 16 presumed dead.
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:44:51 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/11/marine-aircraft-crash-at-least-12-bodies-recovered-from-mississippi-crash-site.html

Crashed somewhere in Mississippi. Sounds like they are still looking for bodies. :'(
I was expecting another MV-22 crash, turns out it was a KC-130, refueling plane.

edit - And of course the left can't help themselves to trashing Trump in the comments.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Marine aircraft crashes. At least 16 presumed dead.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 05:18:36 AM »
Damn.  Awaiting  more facts.

^  "edit - And of course the left can't help themselves to trashing Trump in the comments."

Ring bell, dogs salivate.

Terry

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 12:14:10 PM »
I didn't know the Marines operated tankers. And why would a tanker have a crew of 16, including a corpsman (a medic) on board?

The aircraft may have been a KC-130, but I'm going to offer a SWAG that this was a training mission for some sort of special operations team.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 12:46:57 PM »
I wondered about the number aboard, but didn't know how many separate functions were required. I figured maybe they were transporting other folks not related to refueling?

PEfarmer

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 12:50:01 PM »
I don't know anything about a KC130, but have caught a ride (along with 40 or so others) on a KC10 in the past, so at least some tankers can pull double duty.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 01:55:22 PM »
I didn't know the Marines operated tankers. And why would a tanker have a crew of 16, including a corpsman (a medic) on board?

The aircraft may have been a KC-130, but I'm going to offer a SWAG that this was a training mission for some sort of special operations team.

The Marines have had KC-130 tanker aircraft for many years, dating back to at least Vietnam.  They have used the KC-130s in the refueling role for their air assets almost forever.  They also routinely use them as cargo haulers, moving Marines and their equipment all over the place.
I rode around in enough of them during my time in that some of my hearing problems might be due to how loud they are inside.  The ones I flew in weren't much for creature comforts.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 03:06:55 PM »

The tanker was part of a training flight relocating a team to California when it crashed.  The dead includes passengers.