Author Topic: General Mattis grants rare interview to high school newspaper  (Read 1242 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://mihsislander.org/2017/06/full-transcript-james-mattis-interview/

http://www.seattletimes.com/education-lab/mercer-island-student-newspaper-lands-interview-with-us-defense-secretary-mattis/

A local high school journalist gets an interview with General Mattis.  A thoughtful article and the General has many interesting things to say.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: General Mattis grants rare interview to high school newspaper
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 12:02:14 PM »
Amazing. Someone understands that Bush did something right!

The most important thing is, if you have to go to war, then do everything you can not to go to war if at all possible. Then you’ve got to get the political end state right or you’ll never figure out how to end it successfully. War is such a tragedy and because in our society those decisions are made by civilians, and not by military, you’ve got to get that part right up front. Notice I left one war out and that was Desert Storm. In that war, President Bush, the first President Bush, said “we’re not going to tolerate a nation being taken over,” and went to war. And we went in, kicked them out of Kuwait, freed Kuwait, and then he would not go any further.

Some people said “oh we’re winning let’s charge into Baghdad.” He said “nope. all we’re going to do is free Kuwait.” Now, he got a lot of heat for that. But, we went in with more troops than we needed and we ended it quickly, because he had the political end state right.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 12:19:48 PM »

I'm not that old, but the majority of our Secretaries of Defense have been politicians or essentially time serving door steps. Gates, who I didn't necessarily agree with, was probably the only other competent SecDef within my life. Mattis... This isn't a job. Or the capstone to a career. This is his life. He's dedicated to the defense of this country in ways that virtually no other SecDef or equivalent since the War of 1812 has ever reached. Or probably will for a long time. We have absolutely no clue how lucky we are.

As I've stated repeatedly. I don't like Trump. There are times however when I believe all the negative costs of his election will be worth every last dime, literal or metaphorical, just for having Mattis at the head of our military.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »
Also, that high school junior smoked virtually every professional journalist I've listened to or watched in the past decade or two. Easily. Great and informative interview with very good questions, good control of the flow. The MIHS Islander set a higher standard than most print news I've seen in quite a while.

I'm quite sure the rest of the Islander's student journalists are probably thinking "Well. Crap. How the hell do we top that? Can anyone snag the Pope's personal cell?"

http://mihsislander.org/

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 12:58:44 PM »
"Can anyone snag the Pope's personal cell?"
Try:  Et cum spiri  2 - 2 - 0  *

* If you're not Catholic, you probably won't get this . . .
;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 03:50:03 PM »
Got it.  Former, but ingrained.  Ecce Terry

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 06:04:42 PM »
Try:  Et cum spiri  2 - 2 - 0  *

;)

Not Roman Catholic, but I took Latin in high school.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 12:53:19 PM »
Try:  Et cum spiri  2 - 2 - 0  *

;)

Or a Frank Zappa fan ("St Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast/Father O’Blivion")
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!