Author Topic: Those crazy kids at United Airlines are at it again...  (Read 1531 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Those crazy kids at United Airlines are at it again...
« on: July 12, 2017, 06:05:14 PM »
Only this time they beat up a quadriplegic's $42k custom wheelchair rather than a passenger. Quite impressively, too, by the looks of it.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/07/12/united-destroyed-custom-wheelchair-worth-42k-says-passenger.html

Given the damage in the photo, my bet is someone let it slide or roll off the end of a freight lift. Gravity and the chair's 400+ lb weight did the rest.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Those crazy kids at United Airlines are at it again...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 06:34:57 PM »
Did they offer him a $100 voucher as compensation?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 07:02:16 PM »

They offered him that plus an upgrade to an exit row window seat.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 07:19:31 PM »

No, they offered to drag him wherever he needed to go.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 09:28:55 PM »
No, they offered to drag him wherever he needed to go.
And a ride on the cart in the terminal.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 09:32:34 PM »
A representative for United declined to confirm the chair would be back in Valentin's possession. According to Dream Trotter's Facebook page, they believe he'll be getting it back by the end of the trip.
They are repairing the wheel chair and he will have it back by the end of a 27 day trip.  They don't appear to be trying very hard.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 11:10:18 PM »
They are repairing the wheel chair and he will have it back by the end of a 27 day trip.  They don't appear to be trying very hard.

WHAT ABOUT HIS VACATION? Is he just going to lay in his room the whole time? Most custom chairs are that way because the user has special requirements and they don't just rent those anywhere!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Those crazy kids at United Airlines are at it again...
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 07:00:50 AM »
WHAT ABOUT HIS VACATION? Is he just going to lay in his room the whole time? Most custom chairs are that way because the user has special requirements and they don't just rent those anywhere!
Fly United. Because you suck. And we hate you.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 07:34:36 AM »
Those crazy kids at United Airlines are at it again...

"In a statement obtained by Fox News, a representative for United claims they're in contact with Valentin’s group, and that the airline is making every effort to rectify this situation."

"Here ya go, dude..."

Terry, 230RN,  runs and hides.

(Quote op cit.  (No pun on "sit" intended.))
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:52:54 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 09:44:24 AM »
The article said they got him a motorized wheel chair loaner that quickly broke down and they switched it out with a manual wheel chair.  They included a photo from his facebook that indicates he is continuing with his vacation though with more difficulty and help. 

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 07:00:56 PM »
Fly United, because our souls subsist on your glorious, glorious pain.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 08:07:09 PM »
As someone who has to use a wheelchair and can't stand the pain of using it over a period of a few hours, I can understand the need for a custom chair made to suit the user's particular needs. To say this hits close to home and seriously ticks me off is an understatement.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!