Author Topic: F off, photobucket  (Read 7859 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: F off, photobucket
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »
Sigh... apparently Amazon Prime photospace won't give you clean image file links that end in .gpg .gif etc. so they can be rendered with IMG tags.

Imgur is off the list right out. They say in their terms of service that using them for linking to forum posts violates their TOS, even though everyone does it. And Imgur has been quietly engaging in SJW fights with various right wing and gun boards, so you have to add an extension or monkey with your browser's HTTP referrer settings to prevent them from seeing the website they've banned.

I guess Flickr is next...
I promise not to duck.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 12:59:16 PM »
Sigh... apparently Amazon Prime photospace won't give you clean image file links that end in .gpg .gif etc. so they can be rendered with IMG tags.

Imgur is off the list right out. They say in their terms of service that using them for linking to forum posts violates their TOS, even though everyone does it. And Imgur has been quietly engaging in SJW fights with various right wing and gun boards, so you have to add an extension or monkey with your browser's HTTP referrer settings to prevent them from seeing the website they've banned.

I know a photographer who likes and uses Smugmug.  I don't know anything about their plans, but they're chatting up angry customers in PhotoBucket's Twitter feed.
Trying to host this off of Amazon Photos:

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 02:06:55 PM »
I've decided the best way to get revenge on photobucket and their terrible website is to leave all my hotlinks in place so they're still costing them money.

Yes, I am petty.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 02:17:12 PM »
Trying again...

Nope...

This?

I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »
I've decided the best way to get revenge on photobucket and their terrible website is to leave all my hotlinks in place so they're still costing them money.

Yes, I am petty.

A friend told me to do the same thing. The problem is that the images are still on their server, so they can still get hits to them from other people's Internet searches, and they can still rent or sell your photos as long as they stay on the Photobucket site. I've considered it, and my decision is that when I've gotten settled on an alternate hosting site, I'll delete my images and delete my account.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2017, 02:19:53 PM »
Where do I get the raw AWS hosted link, and not the one routed through amazon.com/photos?  ???

Now?

Well that was a pain in the ass.  :P
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2017, 02:24:06 PM »
Is this

A result of that?

REF:
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=51600.0

Exactly.  I've been getting nasty emails from them over it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2017, 04:41:07 PM »
Our Boy Scout Troop has a Shutterfly account.  Adults post pictures from the Outings, anyone with the Troop can view them, and we only use a couple of them for our Bi-Annual Courts of Honor brochure.

Other than that don't know much about it.

My Photography skills consist of "Oh, that would have been a great picture..."  Then me grabbing my phone after the moment has passed..
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »
And yet another operation run by whiz kids with MBAs has initiated a self-immolation protocol.
I've been pulling stuff off that I don't have a backup of handy for a few days now.
Once I'm done I'll send them a FU note and delete the account.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2017, 05:00:49 PM »
well, I knew nothing other than I couldn't get it to work for an upload the other day. Now I guess I know why.
Just ran through and salvaged what I wanted, then deleted my account and the app along with a message that asked them if they knew they had just destroyed themselves.

*shrug* I guess I have to figure out another hosting site. I'll probably use the Amazon.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2017, 05:07:34 PM »
I went through my PB account when I got the email a week ago, pulled everything down that I didn't already have, deleted the rest, and the only pic left on my account is a copy of this

Thanks, I did the same.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2017, 05:08:22 PM »
I'm looking at www.freeimagehosting.net . No decision yet, so I'm not "recommending" it. But it appears promising.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2017, 05:16:34 PM »
I went through my PB account when I got the email a week ago, pulled everything down that I didn't already have, deleted the rest, and the only pic left on my account is a copy of this

Ha! Whew!  Saved that one in time.

I don't use a hosting site, just attachments and third-party I M G links.  I expect a few of those will go away.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 05:33:18 PM by 230RN »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
Testing google drive, testing

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2017, 08:12:40 PM »
My links to PB just started this nonsense this evening while logged into APS. No notification email, however. Checked back several weeks on the account they would have used.
I'll have to clean out my account it looks like.  It may be pretty easy, though, as I still have originals of anything important.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2017, 08:25:12 PM »
 :facepalm:

Photobucket has been going downhill for a while. The interface has become way too script-heavy over the last 5 years or so, and as a result is a PITA to use. The only reason I kept using them was because I had so damn many images uploaded to it that it would have been a pain in the ass to abandon and start over.

I guess they just made the decision for me.

Sayonara, pendejos.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2017, 08:54:08 PM »
For linking images on forums and stuff where the images are fully accessible to the public, I just have a throwaway yahoo account and use Flickr. For general sending to family and online storage, I've been using Google, but need to check into Amazon Prime.

One thing  I don't like about Google, is it keeps turning on synch on my phone, even after I have turned it off, which often makes my gallery on the phone lag.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2017, 09:35:38 PM »
:facepalm:

Photobucket has been going downhill for a while. The interface has become way too script-heavy over the last 5 years or so, and as a result is a PITA to use. The only reason I kept using them was because I had so damn many images uploaded to it that it would have been a pain in the ass to abandon and start over.

I guess they just made the decision for me.

Sayonara, pendejos.

Same here. I just finished deleting my account after pulling down a few dozen older pics I wasn't sure I had a readily accessible local copy of.
I let them know why in the comment box, not that I expect anyone will ever read it or care if they do.

Photobucket can sucket.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2017, 09:43:14 PM »
Just found this

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/photobucket-users-upset-over-dollar400-ransom/ar-BBDOnaq

The Denver-based service was founded in 2003. The company says it has more than 100 million users.

I wonder what the current number of users really is after they shot them selves in the crank.

:rofl:

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2017, 08:13:13 AM »
FUphotobucket by lmmiers, on Flickr

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2017, 08:46:46 AM »
Went looking for a pic someone here posted, to inject into a Book of Faces discussion thread.  Nope, gone.  <scowl>

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2017, 11:01:32 AM »
Yep - this weekend I'm getting off PB.  Their interface has been nearly unusable for quite some time.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2017, 11:54:23 AM »
Yep - this weekend I'm getting off PB.  Their interface has been nearly unusable for quite some time.

At some point, for some reason, their navigation broke in Linux Firefox.  Getting a direct url to a jpg became an excercise in frustration.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2017, 12:57:13 PM »

Yeah, they don't have a clean policy on the matter. As long as it doesn't come to their attention, they don't care. It's not a bastion of SJW's but some of the staff clearly lean that direction. They're based on SF, so SJW is their version of "center left". But likely someone in the management likes money more than ideology, so they keep it as invisible as possible. They shadowbanned trigglypuff for a while.

I link off my own server, but I might be looking for a different service myself. I have a business google account, I assume they have some solution. They don't just throw in the kitchen sink, they throw in an entire industrial kitchen's worth of stuff for $5.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2017, 05:51:16 PM »
Testing Google Photos

"get link"