Author Topic: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.  (Read 3718 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
« on: July 13, 2017, 11:00:51 AM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 02:44:25 PM »
I just saw that story somewhere else. And all I needed was the headline to tell me where it happened. Reading the article was just confirmation.

Makes you wonder why they bother to put up signs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 02:47:22 PM »
I just saw that story somewhere else. And all I needed was the headline to tell me where it happened. Reading the article was just confirmation.

Makes you wonder why they bother to put up signs.

CYA... If there are warnings up, and people are still stupid enough to do it, then it puts the liability on the stupid (not that it should need a sign, but there it is)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 03:53:37 PM »
I would think it would be more painful to be sucked into the jet engine, than to be blown backward by it.  I wonder if your body would break those expensive turbine blades, or is everything all choppy-dicey.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 04:09:33 PM »
I would think it would be more painful to be sucked into the jet engine, than to be blown backward by it.  I wonder if your body would break those expensive turbine blades, or is everything all choppy-dicey.

It all depends. It might be the world's most expensive Cuisenart. On the other hand, I think there was one incident in which a mechanic was sucked into a jet engine, spit out the back, and lived to tell the tale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2v1Pgpzp88

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 04:28:04 PM »
It all depends. It might be the world's most expensive Cuisenart. On the other hand, I think there was one incident in which a mechanic was sucked into a jet engine, spit out the back, and lived to tell the tale.

He wasn't spit out the back, he was lucky as hell and his uniform flight deck crew vest got caught on a pitot tube or or some other projection sticking out, and the outside of his helmet didn't get past the first set of fan blades.

I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 05:52:45 PM »
I saw that video of the chick bashing her head on the curb and the first thing I thought of was it would be easy to put up a blast shield in front of the fence.  Wouldn't interfere with landings.

But then I realized tourist dollars.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 05:56:57 PM »
He wasn't spit out the back, he was lucky as hell and his uniform flight deck crew vest got caught on a pitot tube or or some other projection sticking out, and the outside of his helmet didn't get past the first set of fan blades.

First set of blades is a stator, so you probably don't get pureed,  just vacuumed to death. That was on my ship a little before I got there. Flashlight and other crap got ripped off his floatcoat and FOD'd out the motor, a key reason for his living.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 08:11:13 PM »
I saw that video of the chick bashing her head on the curb and the first thing I thought of was it would be easy to put up a blast shield in front of the fence.  Wouldn't interfere with landings.

It would interfere with the landings and with the takeoffs in the opposite direction.  There are very strict rules about what can be placed near the runway.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 08:13:37 PM »
First set of blades is a stator,

On that plane, yes.  On commercial aircraft, the first blades are the fan.  They would make a person all choppy choppy, but would also break apart in the process.  Call it a draw.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 08:19:16 PM »
It would interfere with the landings and with the takeoffs in the opposite direction.  There are very strict rules about what can be placed near the runway.

Obviously those rules don't include tourists.

Meh. Warning signs are pretty clear. If people want to risk death or dismemberment for funnsies, let them.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 08:58:39 PM »

I was expecting the Firefly link. You must now do penance for leading us on.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 09:02:33 PM »

Meh. Warning signs are pretty clear. If people want to risk death or dismemberment for funnsies, let them.

Similar to the "Don't pet the buffalo" signs in Yellowstone. People still do it and act all surprised after they get hurt by messing with a half ton animal.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 09:21:42 PM »
Similar to the "Don't pet the buffalo" signs in Yellowstone. People still do it and act all surprised after they get hurt by messing with a half ton animal.

Half ton is small for an American Bison. Males easily run 1500 pounds, and have been known to go as heavy as 2800 pounds.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 09:28:54 PM »
I was expecting the Firefly link. You must now do penance for leading us on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRlHwwVIug

:-*

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 09:29:14 PM »
Half ton is small for an American Bison. Males easily run 1500 pounds, and have been known to go as heavy as 2800 pounds.

I knew I should looked that up. Big critters. I've gotten relatively close to some before. Definitely not petting distance, but closer than I would have liked. It's an eerie feeling when there's a herd into between you and your truck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 09:36:44 PM »
It would interfere with the landings and with the takeoffs in the opposite direction.  There are very strict rules about what can be placed near the runway.

Oh, I didn't mean like 10' high ones or anything like that.  Just an inclined plane as high as the present fence to deflect the air upward.  I'd call them blast baffles rather than blast shields.  But, tourist $.  I think a deflector even two feet high would help.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 10:57:48 PM »
CYA... If there are warnings up, and people are still stupid enough to do it, then it puts the liability on the stupid (not that it should need a sign, but there it is)

I agree with this, but only because the Bible says that watching jets land is a sin.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 11:19:11 PM »
Hmm...  Remove the concrete that the one lady hit her head on.  If you're a granny you might want to try some other game.  The one shown is more for teenagers who are substantially sturdier.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 07:26:05 AM »
Hmm...  Remove the concrete that the one lady hit her head on. 

The concrete is there to protect the road from erosion.

I bet that the airport authority will pass a law making it illegal to knowingly/willingly hang on the fence while and aircraft is taking off.