Author Topic: Lotta police dogs are going to retire soon  (Read 3884 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Lotta police dogs are going to retire soon
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:33:15 PM »
http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/articles/court-scent-not-enough-for-car-searc/

Precedent only in Colorado, but should work in any state that has approved the medical use of marijuana. Cop pulled over a suspect, called in a drug dog, dog alerted on car, cops searched car and found paraphernalia. Driver was convicted.

Apeal court said, "Not so fast. Marijuana is now legal, so the dog might have been alerting to something that wasn't contraband. No grounds for a search. Go back and try again."

I approve. I like it when judges follow the law -- unfortunately, it doesn't happen often enough.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Lotta police dogs are going to retire soon
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:12:08 PM »
That is a very interesting legal side effect of pot legalization I hadn't thought of.  Drug dogs were trained for multiple substances including pot.  Those dogs are out of business.  Wonder if they will stop training dogs for pot, even for states where pot is still illegal, or if they will start two types of training...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 10:28:58 PM »
So, if I'm getting this -- and I might not be -- (I'm never sure these days)   a guy is driving along with an illegal drug that IS NOT MARIJUANA in Colorado, is stopped by a policeman, who brings ina dog trained to sniff drugs, dog alerts, cop finds a drug that IS NOT MARIJUANA, and is still illegal, so he arrests the druggie, but the judge says it's no good 'cause the dog "might have" alerted to any drug, even marijuana, but since the MJ is legal, the druggie gets a GETOUTOFJAILFREE card.

Even though the FACT of the matter is the guy had ILLEGAL drugs? ??? ??? ??? ???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 10:40:19 PM »
I'm not sure how much it matters.

They've found that a lot of drug dogs have ended up being 'retrained' to alert on signals from their handler indicating that the handler wants them to alert on that particular vehicle.

It's the whole 'rewarded when they alert' thing, they don't get rewarded for NOT alerting.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the dogs could be retrained in about 6 weeks, simply by something like:
First 2 weeks:  no MJ at all.  All the usual other stuff.
Next 2 weeks: reintroduce MJ, but don't reward when the dog alerts on it.
Last 2 weeks:  Mix of smells.  reward for everything BUT mj.

Even though the FACT of the matter is the guy had ILLEGAL drugs? ??? ??? ??? ???

The linked article didn't say that any drugs were found.  All they found was 'paraphernalia'.  In this case, a suspected meth pipe.  If it was 10-20 years ago, it would have been a crack pipe.  Since the dude had a history, he was convicted for having the pipe.  Given that he was also convicted for possession of a controlled substance, they might of found a small amount of meth in the pipe via chemical testing.  Or maybe a search of his home linked to the finding of the pipe turned something up.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 10:42:39 PM »
That is a very interesting legal side effect of pot legalization I hadn't thought of.  Drug dogs were trained for multiple substances including pot.  Those dogs are out of business.  Wonder if they will stop training dogs for pot, even for states where pot is still illegal, or if they will start two types of training...

I would think they'd train new dogs not to alert to pot, send/sell the older dogs to states where it's still illegal and, as the various states legalize, the older dogs could phase out gradually.

but that probably makes too much sense...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 11:06:38 PM »

Quote from: TommyGunn
Even though the FACT of the matter is the guy had ILLEGAL drugs?
The linked article didn't say that any drugs were found.  All they found was 'paraphernalia'.  In this case, a suspected meth pipe.  If it was 10-20 years ago, it would have been a crack pipe.  Since the dude had a history, he was convicted for having the pipe.  Given that he was also convicted for possession of a controlled substance, they might of found a small amount of meth in the pipe via chemical testing.  Or maybe a search of his home linked to the finding of the pipe turned something up.

Yea I sorta figured something was sideways....but with the quality of reporting these days one never knows.   
Given he had a history I should think the pipe would be enough but then I also thought Hillary and OJ Simpson were guilty as sin..................... =|
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 12:20:57 AM »
So, if I'm getting this -- and I might not be -- (I'm never sure these days)   a guy is driving along with an illegal drug that IS NOT MARIJUANA in Colorado, is stopped by a policeman, who brings ina dog trained to sniff drugs, dog alerts, cop finds a drug that IS NOT MARIJUANA, and is still illegal, so he arrests the druggie, but the judge says it's no good 'cause the dog "might have" alerted to any drug, even marijuana, but since the MJ is legal, the druggie gets a GETOUTOFJAILFREE card.

Correct. Because the dog can't exactly say in bark-speak, "Hey, Boss, I smell cocaine, not marijuana. Book 'em, Danno."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 12:24:25 AM »
The linked article didn't say that any drugs were found.  All they found was 'paraphernalia'.  In this case, a suspected meth pipe.  If it was 10-20 years ago, it would have been a crack pipe.  Since the dude had a history, he was convicted for having the pipe.  Given that he was also convicted for possession of a controlled substance, they might of found a small amount of meth in the pipe via chemical testing.  Or maybe a search of his home linked to the finding of the pipe turned something up.

Doesn't matter what he had. Anything found in the search is now "fruits of a poisoned tree" and cannot be used as evidence against him, because the search was illegal. He could have had Jimmy Hoffa's body in the trunk of his car and they would now NOT be allowed to mention it in court. Whatever they found in the search now does not exist, because the search was illegal.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 07:48:20 AM »
It's the whole 'rewarded when they alert' thing, they don't get rewarded for NOT alerting.
Nope, that is not how it works.  On the road, the dogs are rewarded whenever they work. Alert or not. The reward is for looking.

In training, if they alert on a blank car they do not get a reward and are instead corrected. Dogs do tend to go through a phase early in training where they start to alert on every car (often in the same spot each time) as a way to get the reward more quickly, but that is not desirable activity.

Handlers have to write up records of every search their dogs do on the road as well as the results of that search.  If the search is negative they ask the driver if there is any reason the dog alerted and in many cases the driver will admit to having had drugs, paraphernalia, or a passenger who likely had smoked recently in their vehicle. If the handler doesn't find a reason the dog hit then they may need to work on more blank cars. Training records and live performance records can be requested by defense attorneys.

As far as juggling dogs around between states, that would tick off a lot of handlers. They build a serious bond with their dogs. I am sure dogs could be trained out of alerting on pot and that program would almost certainly be less expensive than conducting massive dog swaps - which would all require retraining for the dog/handler teams anyway.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 09:48:20 AM »
I don't trust drug dogs... I suspect they learn to give false alerts to please their handler.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 10:04:42 AM »
I don't trust drug dogs... I suspect they learn to give false alerts to please their handler.

This has been reported (and sometimes documented) far too many times for it not to be true. Sorry, Cordex, I know what you posted is the way it's supposed to be, but I don't believe it works that way in the real world.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »
. . . If the search is negative they ask the driver if there is any reason the dog alerted and in many cases the driver will admit to having had drugs, paraphernalia, or a passenger who likely had smoked recently in their vehicle . . .
Idiots.  :facepalm:

I remember reading about a case where a drug dog was going through a school, and alerted on a kid; the child was taken aside and searched by police.

No drugs were found . . . but school administrators decided to suspend the kid for drugs anyway.

Father got rather irate . . . so the school offered to reduce the suspension due to complete absence of evidence.

That still didn't wash - so, with poor grace, bad publicity, and a call from a lawyer, the school reinstated the student and expunged the record.

BTW, while this was going on, the parents had the kid drug tested and he came out clean.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 11:38:57 AM »

I remember reading about a case where a drug dog was going through a school, and alerted on a kid; the child was taken aside and searched by police.

No drugs were found . . . but school administrators decided to suspend the kid for drugs anyway.

Ah, yes. The old "out of an abundance of caution" schtick.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »
Law enforcement has always had a rather malleable and subjective set of "tools" to generate probable cause.

"Your eyes look glassy"...

"I smell alcohol"...

"I smell pot"...

If my eyes weren't *expletive deleted*ing "glassy", I'd be blind and unable to blink.  :P

Whole thing is a tangled mess. On one hand the police are dealing with low-lifes 90% of the time, so bullshit made up PC usually bears fruit. Despite my strong Libertarian leanings, I admit to having very little concern about any one individual low-life. And it's possible the "broken windows" theory of policing is true, and easing up on the petty stuff and traffic stops would cause a significant bump in violent crime.

Problem is twofold: It's really hard, even nigh impossible to get truly objective data on these things because of the near impossibility of setting up a proper control group. NYC ends "stop and frisk" and shootings go up... was it really because stop and frisk ended, or was it just other demographic and economic pressures that would have made it go up anyway.

OTOH, it's really hard to watch "Live PD" for more than 15 minutes and not think that the whole damn thing isn't just a long running war of mutual attrition between the poor, and those with low social-capital and the police. I'd estimate that for less than one quarter of the police interactions they air, I can identify an actual "victim" (not counting the State, and it's taxes/fees) something like breaking up a fight, protecting private property by evicting squatters or dealing with a stolen vehicle.

When more than 75% of the show is minor moving violations followed with "why do I smell marijuana"... the whole #BLM thing starts making sense, where the REAL angst is coming from, and that the actual shootings are just an obvious focal point that gets attention.

But then, if they weren't out "rolling and hatin' looking for those riding dirty" how bad would it be with the real crimes and the real victims?

Then I remember that ideology provides clarity. Worrying about the overall crime rate is a collective response. And no collective result is cause for the weakening of individual rights.

I promise not to duck.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 12:08:38 PM »
This has been reported (and sometimes documented) far too many times for it not to be true. Sorry, Cordex, I know what you posted is the way it's supposed to be, but I don't believe it works that way in the real world.
I'm sure it happens.  Police abuse can manifest in a variety of different ways.  As I've said before, a corrupt handler could easily lie about his dog indicating or mistrain his dog.  However, any corrupt cop willing to lie can more easily jam you up without a dog.  In many states if a police officer smells an odor they know through their training and experience to be marijuana they can search your car - no dog needed.  If a cop is willing to lie that they smelled something or saw something or heard something that didn't happen, they don't need a dog to do it.

All that said, I've actually seen a piece of the "real world".  Not that I'm an expert - except, perhaps, relative to people without any direct experience at all.  Even so, I've seen and participated in quite a bit of K9 training - both narcotics and patrol - and I've had firsthand experience with countless live deployments of dogs both where they indicated and where they didn't.  I've watched one particular dog go through training from the day it was arrived from Slovakia to becoming a core member of the K9 team.  I've personally participated in blank training dogs to break them of the false indication habit.  So, while I will give due respect to your opinion, my experience with the K9 community does not in any way support your beliefs except inasmuch as any group of sufficient size will have jackasses.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 01:04:24 PM »
When I was a prosecutor working for the drug task force, I handled a good amount of drugs.  I often put evidence in my bag to carry into court. Out of pure curiosity, we ran a dog on my car and then my bag. No hit on my car, but a hot on my bag. Always made sure to carry my credentials when carrying my bag out of my jurisdiction, just in case.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 03:51:29 PM »
Problem is twofold: It's really hard, even nigh impossible to get truly objective data on these things because of the near impossibility of setting up a proper control group. NYC ends "stop and frisk" and shootings go up... was it really because stop and frisk ended, or was it just other demographic and economic pressures that would have made it go up anyway.

OTOH, it's really hard to watch "Live PD" for more than 15 minutes and not think that the whole damn thing isn't just a long running war of mutual attrition between the poor, and those with low social-capital and the police. I'd estimate that for less than one quarter of the police interactions they air, I can identify an actual "victim" (not counting the State, and it's taxes/fees) something like breaking up a fight, protecting private property by evicting squatters or dealing with a stolen vehicle.

When more than 75% of the show is minor moving violations followed with "why do I smell marijuana"... the whole #BLM thing starts making sense, where the REAL angst is coming from, and that the actual shootings are just an obvious focal point that gets attention.

The problem with NYC's stop and frisk program was the incredibly racist way it was carried out.  They were frisking minorities like 20 times as often as whites.  One particular black male teen was targeted effectively every school day. 

And, no, the minorities aren't committing crimes at 20 times the rate.  Estimates are that whites are carrying illegal weapons or drugs at about the same rates, but whites get a pass unless they're being obvious about it.

I wonder how the program would have been received if, rather than amounting to a substantial tax on the time of minorities, the cops were told to hand out a $20 gift card to anybody they searched and didn't get a bust, as an apology for wasting the person's time.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 04:04:35 PM »
And, no, the minorities aren't committing crimes at 20 times the rate.  Estimates are that whites are carrying illegal weapons or drugs at about the same rates, but whites get a pass unless they're being obvious about it.

Citation needed.

Additionally, on the "being more obvious" issue, I'll cite Professor Rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQLCF4Tiqg4&t=0m57s
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 05:01:07 PM »
Citation needed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/09/21/it-looks-like-rudy-giuliani-convinced-donald-trump-that-stop-and-frisk-actually-works/

Sorry, I was wrong.  Blacks were only 2/3rds as likely to be carrying something illegal.

Note:  While weapons were the stated goal, I figure that drugs was the real reason.  Thing is, the 'reasonable suspicion' necessary to search for weapons is a lot less than for drugs, but they're allowed to prosecute if they find drugs in the search for weapons.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 11:06:09 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/09/21/it-looks-like-rudy-giuliani-convinced-donald-trump-that-stop-and-frisk-actually-works/

Sorry, I was wrong.  Blacks were only 2/3rds as likely to be carrying something illegal.

Note:  While weapons were the stated goal, I figure that drugs was the real reason.  Thing is, the 'reasonable suspicion' necessary to search for weapons is a lot less than for drugs, but they're allowed to prosecute if they find drugs in the search for weapons.

Ah, whites who were stopped were more likely to be carrying illegal items than blacks who were stopped. (According to the article, which is suspect for being written by a moron reporter.)

Let's see, your statement was blacks were stopped at 20x the rate of whites, but were only 2/3 as likely to have been found to have something illegal than the whites who were also stopped. (I note hispanics don't feature in this "dataset" at all. Hmmm.)

With that MASSIVE imbalance in stops, the likelihood of finding an illegal object only drops to .67 the likelihood of finding it in the smaller population? That says something as well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 12:53:42 PM »
Let's see, your statement was blacks were stopped at 20x the rate of whites, but were only 2/3 as likely to have been found to have something illegal than the whites who were also stopped. (I note hispanics don't feature in this "dataset" at all. Hmmm.)

I don't remember all the details, but hispanics were stopped more frequently as well.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 04:37:21 PM »

Yep. Funny legal loophole called the Constitution, which is often used by criminals and terrorists. Some police absolutely hate it and have been calling for it to be closed. Many politicians and a large/most of the population is promoting ending that loophole in part or in whole. They correctly claim it is also directly responsible for gun show loopholes and enabling hate speech.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 05:02:51 PM »
I don't remember all the details, but hispanics were stopped more frequently as well.
http://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/stats/reports-analysis/stopfrisk.page
Data quality isn't great.  Going to clean it up a little and take a look.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 07:51:25 PM »
Yep. Funny legal loophole called the Constitution, which is often used by criminals and terrorists. Some police absolutely hate it and have been calling for it to be closed. Many politicians and a large/most of the population is promoting ending that loophole in part or in whole. They correctly claim it is also directly responsible for gun show loopholes and enabling hate speech.

Apparently the bit about "probable cause"  went sideways since the guy had paraphernalia but no actual drugs.   If he had possessed drugs but just not what the dog supposedly alerted to I guess I don't get why it should prove to be the fruit of the poison tree, unless it could be shown the officer knew his dog was alerting on smores, carrots, chocolate icecream, M&Ms , turnip greens, or any other odd stuff.  How is the officer supposed to know beforehand?
Since my original understanding of this case was flawed, however, the conclusion I drew would seem to be equally flawed.
Oh well.....live and learn.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 11:18:51 PM »

Apparently the bit about "probable cause"  went sideways since the guy had paraphernalia but no actual drugs.   If he had possessed drugs but just not what the dog supposedly alerted to I guess I don't get why it should prove to be the fruit of the poison tree, unless it could be shown the officer knew his dog was alerting on smores, carrots, chocolate icecream, M&Ms , turnip greens, or any other odd stuff.  How is the officer supposed to know beforehand?
Since my original understanding of this case was flawed, however, the conclusion I drew would seem to be equally flawed.
Oh well.....live and learn.

Because the dog could have alerted to a substance that's legal (marijuana), there could not be any legal justification for a search of the vehicle based on the alert. Therefore, ANYTHING found in the course of the search is fruit of a poisoned tree, and inadmissible as evidence. You are correct: There was no way for the officer to know what the dog was alerting on, and that's the entire point.

Think of it this way: We need a license to drive (legally). If we have a license, driving is legal. Police can't pick any car at random and stop it just to verify that the driver has a license, because there has been no indication of unlawful activity.