Author Topic: If you're looking for decent medium duty shelving...  (Read 951 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
If you're looking for decent medium duty shelving...
« on: July 17, 2017, 12:39:09 PM »
I recommend these from Home Depot. They're on sale right now.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-55-5-in-H-x-36-in-W-x-18-in-D-4-Shelf-Plastic-Ventilated-Storage-Shelving-Unit-in-Black-140618/300007255

I bought two some months ago for the basement, and I'm getting ready to buy a couple more.

I'm currently using the first two in the back room in the basement for tool storage. I'll use one of the new ones for additional tool storage and the fourth one for firearms related stuff.

They're lightweight but sturdy.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: If you're looking for decent medium duty shelving...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 01:22:02 PM »
I don't trust plastic.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 02:20:57 PM »
I don't trust plastic.

My Mother bought a couple of sets of plastic bookshelves in the mid 1980s.

As of last week, they're still going strong after close to 35 years, tons of moves, and tons of books and other crap being piled on them.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 02:31:21 PM »
Used indoors they should last a good long time. It's high temps and UV that kill them.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »
"It's high temps and UV that kill them."

Ding ding ding!

We kept a similar set on the back porch for stuff like garden tools, etc...

It got full sun during a good part of the day.

They didn't last 10 years before they shattered.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 02:18:29 AM »
I've had four of those exact shelves in my basement man cave for three years now.  They are holding up well.
Unfortunately, they weren't at that low a sale price when I bought them at Home Despot.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 07:29:05 AM »
I don't trust plastic.

For $20, in America, shelves come in plastic, or particle board.  You'd be stupid to trust particle board over plastic.  I suspect you'd be hard pressed to find metal or solid wood shelving that size for less than about double that price.  Maybe triple.  You'd be hard pressed to buy the wood and MAKE a solid wood shelf for $20.

At this point in materials science saying "I don't trust plastic" without some kind of use modifier is pretty ignorant. So +5 points for cranky old man cred, but -10 for not actually saying anything useful.  Now get of the lawn.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
That looks almost identical to the two that I bought from Costco, I think for ~$5 more each. Mine have held up very well.

I will say that the one I store ammo on is slightly sagging on a couple of middle shelves after a couple of years, but that's on me for overloading it with full ammo cans. I should probably swap that one with metal at some point. The other one holds auto maintenance supplies and some camping supply bins and the shelves are as straight as on the day I bought it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 02:26:28 PM »
The "Gorilla Rack" plastic shelves can hold a LOT of weight and are very durable! I have a plethora of plastic shelves in our home and garage.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!