Author Topic: Move over, United  (Read 3214 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Move over, United
« on: July 17, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
Now Delta Airlines has earned the ire of a passenger ... none other than Ann Coulter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4702484/Delta-hits-Ann-Coulter-s-tweets-30-seat-upgrade.html

It seems a lot of people think Ms. Coulter is over-reacting. I don't. The airlines have reduced the seat pitch to where a person 6 feet tall (which she is, and which I am) just can't fit in a standard seat. And where they used to allow taller people to book the exit row seats and bulkhead seats (which have extra legroom) for free, they now charge a premium so people 6 feet tall (which isn't even that tall these days) can have a seat they can sit in. If I had pre-booked (and paid for) an extra normal legroom seat well in advance, and paid for it, I would also be irate if I got to the airport to find they had given my pre-booked, pre-paid seat to someone who doesn't need the extra human-sized  legroom.

It's not safe to fly these days. United has made multiple, newsworthy screw-ups recently. My flight to the SHOT Show in January re-confirmed that we just can't fly on American Airlines. And now Delta ...

Better to rent an econo-box and drive.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Move over, United
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:10:09 AM »
Anything about 12 hours or less it's damn guaranteed I won't even bother flying.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:25:23 AM »
Anything about 12 hours or less it's damn guaranteed I won't even bother flying.

Has to be less than 8hrs for me.  I've yet to have a flight that was more annoying or exhausting than driving 8+ hours and that includes international flights.  I'd fly more if not for the cost. 

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 10:42:22 AM »
I don't give a *expletive deleted*it where it is. I'm not flying.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 11:06:19 AM »

It's not about the money. It's about sending a message.

And yes, flying when you're tall is unpleasant. Thankfully, I've fit in an Abrams. Modern flying is much worse, but it was good practice for modern airlines.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 11:26:02 AM »
I don't give a *expletive deleted*it where it is. I'm not flying.

That has pretty much been my stance since I quit flying up front in 1992. But then SWMBO decided Hawaii was on the agenda a few years ago and seeing how that bridge isn't built yet I had to cave. :(

Now my stance is to fly only if absolutely necessary such as crossing the oceans or going to a different continent. That should keep me out of planes for pretty much the rest of my life. :)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 11:32:51 AM »

Now my stance is to fly only if absolutely necessary such as crossing the oceans or going to a different continent. That should keep me out of planes for pretty much the rest of my life. :)

That's my stance, too. I have an open invitation to visit friends in Greece, and I'd really like to take them up on the invitation. But I have a bad hip, such that sitting cramped into a too-small seat for more than 15 or 20 minutes puts me in spasms. The only way I'd survive a trans-Atlantic flight would be to fly at least business class, so unless I hit the lottery I probably won't be able to make the trip.

If I attend the SHOT Show next year, either I drive, or I give Amtrak a try.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »
Wife wants to goto Hawaii again.  And prices are coming down.  The only reason I don't want to is the flight; I'm 6' 6" with long legs, and overweight.  My butt is actually kinda small but it barely fits in those narrow seats.  (and they kept the seatbelt sign on the entire time on our return flight a couple of years ago)

I'm dreading flying to Houston next week, and that's just a 3 hour flight.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 11:51:29 AM »
That has pretty much been my stance since I quit flying up front in 1992. But then SWMBO decided Hawaii was on the agenda a few years ago and seeing how that bridge isn't built yet I had to cave. :(

bob

Wait a minute.  Doesn't Hawaii have an Interstate Highway 1H ?

???

ETA:  Why, yes, yes it does: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_H-1

:rofl:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:21:58 PM by 230RN »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 12:03:23 PM »
I like to fly on the oldest Southwest planes. They have the roomiest seats, no annoying screens to forcefeed me ads, and sometimes, they even lack wifi. It's like flying was 15 years ago. Relative heaven.

I like Southwest approach, but I don't in principle object to tiered pricing. I think the FAA or heck CPSC should make them advertise legroom on the tickets. Or outright bin people by weight and/or height. Because right now my company thinks the "upgraded" seats are a luxury they shouldn't have to pay for, and that's not the case all the time. When my knees are jammed against the seat in front of me, I should not have been sold that seat.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:15:39 PM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 12:03:49 PM »
"Doesn't Hawaii have an Interstate Highway 1H ?"

According to one site I found, there are 17 interstate highways that serve only one state.

Apparently the reason for them being called interstates is that they comply with the specifications laid out in the original act of 1956 regarding limited access, width, etc.

That system of roads became the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »
"Doesn't Hawaii have an Interstate Highway 1H ?"

Apparently the reason for them being called interstates is that they comply with the specifications laid out in the original act of 1956 regarding limited access, width, etc

Oh, of course.  But I always found that amusing.  Simple jokes for my simple mind.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:43:35 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 12:29:39 PM »
Well, how about we name those 17 Intrastates...

230RN

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 12:52:56 PM »
<ramble>
<off-topic>

Well, how about we name those 17 Intrastates...
(Bolding mine)

Oh, sure.  Simple change in the law.  But you know what happens with simple changes in the law, of course.  Turns into 784 pages.  And two months of wrangling in the legislative houses.  And some a-hole will demand an amendment at 3 AM which has nothing to do with the subject of the bill but strips us of some other amenity and makes us less of the "Land Of The Free."  (Yeah, we won a goodie using that process with the concealed carry in parks amendment, but...)

"It is the essential function of any government of any type at any time in history to progressively limit freedoms and privileges."  (Terry said that way back in 1989 AD .)

<Terry makes that his signature line>

</ramble>

< >

NAP TIME !

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:14:53 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 02:21:26 PM »
You told that story with such enthusiasm!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 02:23:05 PM »
Oh, of course.  But I always found that amusing.  Simple jokes for my simple mind.

Hey, we CAN build a bridge there! All those fracture zones? Bah! Nothing can posebliy go wrong!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 02:35:58 PM »
I found it interesting that she was flying coach and not first class in the first place.  Isn't she supposed to be some sort of leader of conservatives/republicans?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 02:42:59 PM »
"Isn't she supposed to be some sort of leader of conservatives/republicans?"

Of course. That's why she was flying the airline equivalent of a respectable Republican cloth coat, not some Democratic mink stole.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 07:15:32 PM »
"Isn't she supposed to be some sort of leader of conservatives/republicans?"

Of course. That's why she was flying the airline equivalent of a respectable Republican cloth coat, not some Democratic mink stole.

Correct. It's the self-styled pseudo-royalty like Hillary Clinton who insist on either first class or a private charter flight just to go to the next town. Props to Ms. Coulter for NOT isolating herself from the rest of the populace.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 08:19:28 PM »
Correct. It's the self-styled pseudo-royalty like Hillary Clinton who insist on either first class or a private charter flight just to go to the next town. Props to Ms. Coulter for NOT isolating herself from the rest of the populace.

Wasn't there something about one of the Trumps flying coach sort of recently?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 08:50:32 PM »
what happened to coulter has happened to me several times. It's irritating, and one of many reasons I don't fly unless I'm forced to.

If I pay for the goddamn seat, get a confirmation on said goddamn seat, and they seat someone else in it, IMHO that's fraud.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 08:56:10 PM »
Wasn't there something about one of the Trumps flying coach sort of recently?

Ivanka.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 09:47:27 PM »
Ivanka and Jared Kushner and their two kids, IIRC.

On a Jet Blue flight.

A guy decided to harass them. The guy's husband (yep, husband) Tweeted out that his husband was going to go harass the couple.

Stay classy.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 06:05:37 AM »
I've found MDs and 717s to have good legroom, along with Embraer 175s...the only Airbus I've flown on was downright heavenly. The 737-800 and 757-200 I flew on back in Jan sucked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 06:26:33 AM »
Don't fly American.

I'm kinda stuck on intra-US flights, but I make it a point , when crossing an ocean, to not fly American flagged airlines.  SAS, British Airways or maybe KLM going east, Korean Air, JAL or Quantas going west.  Yes it usually costs a little more, but it's worth it.

I flew across the pacific on both JAL and Korean Airlines in A380's.  Those things are comfortable and pretty relaxing even in coach.  And the service is exemplary.

ETA: My experience  has been that non-US flagged flights are less likely to overbook as well, so you are more likely to have an empty seat next to you, or avoid the middle on widebodies.