Author Topic: No One Will Hire Me with a Face Tattoo  (Read 2534 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
No One Will Hire Me with a Face Tattoo
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:51:04 PM »
I was going to post this a few days ago with the comment that the face tattoo is probably the least of his issues. Now a follow up story has come out confirming my comment. After his video plea for a job went viral, a bunch of people offered him jobs. He stopped counting at 45, because he's been turning them all down while waiting for "the right one".

He's in New Zealand, but could certainly fit into a demographic or two in the US. I love the part about how he got the tattoo: Given to him by his brother while both were drunk on moonshine... in jail.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/07/17/unemployed-dad-with-face-tattoo-rejects-45-job-offers-since-going-viral-with-desperate-work-plea.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: No One Will Hire Me with a Face Tattoo
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 08:22:44 AM »
But he told the Daily Mail Australia he still hasn’t “done a day’s work” claiming he is “just waiting for the right one to come about”.

Some of the job offers did require him to have his own transport which immediately ruled him out, he said.

“Until I get my first paycheck and get a car I won’t be able to get myself around,” he said.

In fairness, if the guy doesn't have a car, a job offer that requires transportation isn't going to be of much use. Ditto if it is outside the area. But yeah. The whining that removing the tattoo is going to hurt is pretty indicative of the guy's personality. The guy certainly does a lot of whining.

IN PUBLIC PRINT. If he had half a brain and realized who will be reading the article, he should have said "I made mistakes when I was younger. I'm owning up to it, and I intend to work for making a better tomorrow. I appreciate all of the job offers. I wish I could take any one of these great opportunities. Unfortunately location and lacking transportation has been limiting."

:facepalm:

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 02:23:10 PM »
IN PUBLIC PRINT. If he had half a brain and realized who will be reading the article, he should have said "I made mistakes when I was younger. I'm owning up to it, and I intend to work for making a better tomorrow. I appreciate all of the job offers. I wish I could take any one of these great opportunities. Unfortunately location and lacking transportation has been limiting."

:facepalm:

If he was that intelligent he wouldn't have the danged tattoo in the first place!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 02:26:17 PM »

Nobody in New Zealand does tattoo removal?
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »
Nobody in New Zealand does tattoo removal?

That would be painful and expensive!

At least, that's the guy's complaint.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 03:22:19 PM »
He could just grow a full beard.  That would cover most of it; what's left would probably not be that noticeable.
"It's good, though..."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 03:35:08 PM »
36 years as a health care provider. I used to do a lot of pre-employment/pre-placement physical evaluations for manufacturing jobs.
I've seen some bad ink, some really memorable bad ink.
Besides the usual prison ink there are 3 that really stick in my memory.
One was said to be a drunk brother's fine work on the classic bar and shield but spelled Harey Davidson (that's right- he forgot the L).
Another was a scene on a guy's back with desert and mountains and script that said Jailbreak- June 17 (some year in the 1970's I don't recall) and the name of a town (I also don't recall) in New Mexico. I didn't ask for the background story on that but I was curious.
And then there was a guy with his girlfriend's names on his forearm. One after another after another. Each one crudely X'd out or lined through when a new one was added. The last one on the list wasn't even finished and had "VOID" inked over it. No kidding. Nothing says "I have trouble with long term relationships" like a collection of girls names self-inked and then inked out on your arm.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 04:02:56 PM »
That would be painful and expensive!

At least, that's the guy's complaint.
Apparently he's had offers of having it removed for free...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 04:08:29 PM »
He was locked up for pulling a knife on a tourist after trying to sell him fake cannabis.

Clearly a model citizen.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 05:45:13 PM »
Clearly a model citizen.

Hence why when I first read the story, I figured the tattoo was just the most visible of his poor decisions, versus the causal effect.

As far as transport, I can't believe out of 45 (or a lot more by now) offers, not one of them was close to a bus route or within biking distance. I can't wait to see what he does when someone offers him a free car or motorcycle or moped.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 09:04:33 PM »
One of the idiots that used to work at Creatures got a big feather (it wasn't crappy. She actually spent some money on it) tattoo'd on her neck as soon as she turned 18 and then bitched because she couldn't get a hostess job at any local restaurants.

As I said then, some jobs, appearance matters. Personally, I would be hesitant to hire anyone with tattoo's in really visible locations unless the ink was small and discrete. It does show a real lack of foresight.
I also wouldn't hire a woman with *expletive deleted*it tattoo'd across the top of her cleavage, because that's just trashy.  [barf]
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 10:07:53 PM »
Progress

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/07/18/dad-with-giant-face-tattoo-gets-laser-removal-reveals-hes-landed-first-job.html

Well, I guess we'll see if he makes good use of this second (third? fourth?) chance. I will hope that he does well with a helping hand that so many who don't screw up and are looking for work don't ever get.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 12:21:01 AM »
Personally, I would be hesitant to hire anyone with tattoo's in really visible locations unless the ink was small and discrete

Hmmmm...ink has never bothered me when interviewing folks for jobs.  I care about the willingness to learn and the prior qualifications for the job at hand.  I was bit bothered by a former coworkers nice full color Bronco's tattoo on his upper arm, but only because it bothered him despite being a rabid Bronco's fan.  ???  Usually it was hidden by the clothing unless he was reaching overhead to attach a line to a valve on some piece of process equipment.

One of the new hires where I currently work has a decent piece of work on his right forearm.  The words "Life feeds on Life" in a repeating pattern in the shape of the infinity symbol.  Told me much about his taste in music when he got it done.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 12:59:06 AM »
I have a Purple Buffalo over a banner of music on my right shoulder in memory of my old friend and guitar player who used "Purple Buffalo" as his "indian name" when he was a kid in the scouts. We also had a real funky instrumental number we played called "The Dance Of The Purple Buffalo" that we played at gigs.

RIP Johnny Simoneaux...

Yes, I may be a LITTLE hairy...  :facepalm:

:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 11:41:10 AM »
http://revdisk.org/storage/TattooChart.jpg

Some language, so link instead of direct image.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

markdido

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 07:54:47 PM »
36 years as a health care provider. I used to do a lot of pre-employment/pre-placement physical evaluations for manufacturing jobs.
I've seen some bad ink, some really memorable bad ink.
Besides the usual prison ink there are 3 that really stick in my memory.
One was said to be a drunk brother's fine work on the classic bar and shield but spelled Harey Davidson (that's right- he forgot the L).
Another was a scene on a guy's back with desert and mountains and script that said Jailbreak- June 17 (some year in the 1970's I don't recall) and the name of a town (I also don't recall) in New Mexico. I didn't ask for the background story on that but I was curious.
And then there was a guy with his girlfriend's names on his forearm. One after another after another. Each one crudely X'd out or lined through when a new one was added. The last one on the list wasn't even finished and had "VOID" inked over it. No kidding. Nothing says "I have trouble with long term relationships" like a collection of girls names self-inked and then inked out on your arm.

I've been married 4 times, and I've toyed with the idea of having a traditional heart and scroll tattoo done on my bicep.

Only the scroll will be empty. No name.

I can always fill it in with a Sharpie.
Liberals believe that a woman, found raped and strangled with her own pantyhose is morally superior to a women with a dead rapist at her feet and a gun in her hands.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 08:12:13 PM »
My cousin, lightning bolt up the side of his neck and FU inked across his knuckles. Had a good job in back of a place, wanted to interact with the customers. Nope nope nope.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 06:49:11 AM »
Well, I guess we'll see if he makes good use of this second (third? fourth?) chance.

If that doesn't work out, he could get a job as a human torpedo.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?