Author Topic: Imprisoning Women is Sexist  (Read 1713 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Imprisoning Women is Sexist
« on: July 18, 2017, 05:56:20 PM »
Now sending women to prison is sexist and destroys families.

This is the dem's "rising star" by the way:

http://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/07/18/equality-fail-kamala-harris-gets-thrashed-on-womenunshackled-tag-for-her-gross-sexism/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Imprisoning Women is Sexist
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 06:28:34 PM »
Is it sexist if it's Kellyanne Conway going to prison?

And does she want some kind of coverture system,?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 08:00:12 PM »
What if women commit really horrible crimes?    Can they be imprisoned for THAT? [tinfoil]

It breaks up familes......yeah (!).....sending husband's and father's  DOESN'T?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:13:29 PM »
What if women commit really horrible crimes?    Can they be imprisoned for THAT? [tinfoil]

It breaks up familes......yeah (!).....sending husband's and father's  DOESN'T?

If they're deported it does.  ;/

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 11:12:11 PM »
??? Confused.

How many years have women been saying they want to be treated equally? And now, all of a sudden, we're NOT supposed to apply equal punishment for equal crimes?

Does ... not ... compute.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 12:10:17 AM »
Saw a piece on the local news this evening on the high number of women in prison.
It stated that 70% of them are being treated for mental illness. I don't understand why the remaining 30% are being neglected.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 12:27:07 AM »
Is the Internet and social media just allowing us to actually see what these people are saying now or are looney people like this more looney than they used to be?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 02:17:50 AM »
Is the Internet and social media just allowing us to actually see what these people are saying now or are looney people like this more looney than they used to be?

Yes.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 03:47:51 AM »
Saw a piece on the local news this evening on the high number of women in prison.
It stated that 70% of them are being treated for mental illness. I don't understand why the remaining 30% are being neglected.

You know, I get jumped on when I say that most people in prison are mentally ill, as exhibited by their committing criminal acts to get into prison.  They think I'm saying that mentally ill people are criminals.  I'm saying the opposite.

As such, I believe that while it certainly won't be easy, if we can target what is making them ill, we can fix them for release back into society as at least minimally productive individuals and save the state oodles of money.

Part of that, of course, is that some triage would be necessary - you need to find the ones we can cure, or at least treat, with current tech on a reasonable basis.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 08:46:41 AM »

It's been observed that the internet reinforces stupid ideas, because no matter what your stupid idea may be, you are likely to find allies that will agree with you. They assure you that it's not you that's crazy; it's all the stupid/crazy/evil normals out there.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you on APS for performing that function for me.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 12:09:40 PM »
You know, I get jumped on when I say that most people in prison are mentally ill, as exhibited by their committing criminal acts to get into prison.  They think I'm saying that mentally ill people are criminals.  I'm saying the opposite.

As such, I believe that while it certainly won't be easy, if we can target what is making them ill, we can fix them for release back into society as at least minimally productive individuals and save the state oodles of money.
Part of that, of course, is that some triage would be necessary - you need to find the ones we can cure, or at least treat, with current tech on a reasonable basis.

Unless it turns out that "fixing" them costs more  $$$$ than merely wharehousing them, that is...................
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 01:05:39 PM »

And the other sticky wicket, as I see in our clinics every day, are the people who refuse such treatment.  Here in Washington, for example, we can only over-ride the patient's wishes and force treatment upon them in very narrow legal/clinical circumstances, and those circumstances pretty much apply to people who are already confined in a psychiatric or prison facility.  We have no such option for the free-range patients who refuse treatment.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 02:17:50 PM »
And the other sticky wicket, as I see in our clinics every day, are the people who refuse such treatment.  Here in Washington, for example, we can only over-ride the patient's wishes and force treatment upon them in very narrow legal/clinical circumstances, and those circumstances pretty much apply to people who are already confined in a psychiatric or prison facility.  We have no such option for the free-range patients who refuse treatment.

I think Firethorn was talking about people already in the prison system.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 10:47:27 PM »
Unless it turns out that "fixing" them costs more  $$$$ than merely wharehousing them, that is...................

You read the next sentence about triage?  Reasonable basis?

Thing is, if you aren't fixing the problem, when you release them they're very likely to commit crimes again.  Now, other countries have shown that you can indeed mostly fix people, and prison is expensive and getting more expensive.  Adding reform practices aren't actually that much more expensive at this point.  Unless we can fix it so that we can execute the expensive to treat, prison for life just gets so expensive that even some rather extreme measures are cost effective.

MillCreek - Availability of treatment is an issue as well, even for those willing.  But yeah as Sideways mentioned, I was looking at those already in prison, where their choices are now limited.  And, well, those convicted in the future.

Don't want to receive involuntary mental treatment?  Don't commit crimes.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 11:00:25 PM »
Okay, triage them....but how can mental illness be fixed?   Are there treatments?   Maybe for some types, and  maybe drugs for some classifications.
I'm not necessarily against trying to treat the mentally ill......just questioning the costs, and the assertion it's cheaper.   It sounds reasonable ..... but many suggestions sound good, only to turn out badly.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 08:41:08 AM »
Okay, triage them....but how can mental illness be fixed?   Are there treatments?   Maybe for some types, and  maybe drugs for some classifications.
I'm not necessarily against trying to treat the mentally ill......just questioning the costs, and the assertion it's cheaper.   It sounds reasonable ..... but many suggestions sound good, only to turn out badly.

be fixed:  Depends on what's wrong.  It's a lot like fixing cars - the answer varies between 'yes' to 'can be treated', to 'not yet'.  I believe that we're to the point that most can be at least managed. 

As for the cost - remember that prison these days is like $60k per person per year.  You'd have to bust that for it to actually be more expensive to treat them than to keep them in prison.  Plus, in many cases if they're more expensive to treat it can also mean that they're more expensive to keep in prison as well - because you still need to treat them as much as you can.

It's fine to question costs.  Just realize that unless you start bringing out specific costs I don't assign much value to such questions.  As I've said before, prison is expensive.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »

:California:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design