Author Topic: Woman shot in MN...  (Read 6271 times)

Chester32141

• friend
Woman shot in MN...
« on: July 19, 2017, 09:04:56 AM »

One of the strangest cases I've heard of ... the shooter has only one possible excuse he could use (thought she had a weapon) yet he is refusing to talk to the investigators ....
 =|
https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2017/07/19/minnesota-somali-police-officer-refuses-to-give-a-statement-to-investigators/#more-136003
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Woman shot in MN...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:20:01 AM »
This case is top of the page in the UK and Australian media that I read.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:21:34 AM »
I *think* it is pretty standard for officers involved in shootings to be given the *courtesy* of delaying their discussion with investigators. We had an officer involved fatal shooting here that caused a public outcry for justice and the cop that did the shooting not only didn't have to talk to investigators for a while, he was allowed to take a vacation to Hawaii before sitting down with them. Surprisingly he was found to be justified in shooting the Preacher who was investigating the strange dark car parked next to his previously burgled business.  >:D

I think this guy will end up being toast Sabaayad though, it still doesn't bring back the dead woman though. :(

bob
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:51:59 PM by BobR »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 09:25:04 AM »
I've been watching this one for a few days.  There's an amazing lack of details available.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 11:28:05 AM »
What really surprises me about the reaction to this case is that I've not seen any tweets celebrating the fact that a white person's privilege was revoked. 'Cuz that's where we are now.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 11:39:39 AM »
Bogies been posting a lot of fringe stuff about this on FaceBook, but I haven't been able to find very many actual details.

It sure has the feel of a jumpy cop shooting someone and them closing ranks again.

This will, I fear, end up opening the rift between LE and regular folks even farther.  It shouldn't be a race thing, but the fact this was a pretty blonde girl will shake up a lot of folks that might otherwise write it off.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 11:49:59 AM »
"Not enough details" is right.

May I offer the humble suggestion that the details were deliberately Left out of the paper's story?

Officers investigate a 911 call.

They hear a shot loud noise nearby.

"Pretty blonde girl" drives by.

The "Somali" Officer shoots her.

Turns out she's an Australian national.

Rage ensues.

Reporter gets a raise (rise, in GB lingo).

Editor gets pat on back by publisher.

Sales department cites raise in circulation to get adverts.

Hm.

Terry drums fingers on desk.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:23:10 PM by 230RN »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 11:54:05 AM »
From the NPR article linked above:

As MPR's Doualy Xaykaothao has reported, the Australian yoga and meditation instructor — who went by the name Justine Damond in her professional life — was shot and killed by Minneapolis Police Officer Mohamed Noor. He and a fellow officer had been responding to a 911 call Saturday night.

Tuesday evening, a state agency investigating the shooting said the other officer on the scene, Matthew Harrity, told investigators that when they arrived, he was startled by a loud sound near the patrol car. He said immediately after the noise Justine Ruszczyk approached Harrity's side — the driver's side — of the car. Harrity said at that point, Noor fired his gun through the open driver's window, striking the woman.

Sounds like a very jumpy cop who drew and fired while still seated in his cruiser.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »
Sounds like a very jumpy cop who drew and fired while still seated in his cruiser.

Because white Hispanic black men are racist-afraid of black men white women.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 12:19:22 PM »
What makes the most sense to me, based on the changing story and the few avaialble details, is he had his gun out and finger on the trigger for no obvious reason, and was startled by something (fireworks?) and negligently pulled the trigger.  He could have just as easily shot his partner.

Affirmative action cop.  His only qualification was probably that he was Somali, and the mayor wanted a Somali cop to demonstrate how progressive she is.

The silence from the union is deafening.   :police:
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 01:43:35 PM »
I also like he how apparently drew and fired right across his partner in the drivers seat of the cruiser.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 02:42:10 PM »
I find his refusing to speak to the investigators odd because I can only think of one defense.  I think repeating "I thought she had a gun" as often as possible and as convincingly as possible would be the only possible response ... Refusing to speak leaves room for him to say something different if and when he decides to speak ...

=|
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 03:58:01 PM »
This whole thing is totally bizarre.

I seriously can't think of any valid reason for that cop to have his gun out in the car next tot his partner.

It is notable that the shooter had 21 months on the job, and the partner he almost killed is a 1 year rookie. Seems to me, neither one of them is particularly competent.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 07:54:30 PM »
I've read two (or three) articles on this incident that reported Noor had three previous complaints filed against him. He doesn't sound like a poster child for good police work.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 08:05:26 PM »
Well, the important thing is that both officers went home safely after their shift.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 08:24:12 PM »

"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 10:18:22 PM »
OK.  I'll defend the cop.

1.  Not talking to investigators immediatly is normal.  Just like you, Joe Citizen, shouldn't talk to investigators immediatly after a traumatic event.

2.  Complaints against cops are normal.  Every cop gets a complaint filed against him.  It doesn't mean anything if there is no disciplinary action taken.

3.  Gun drawn in car.  I would too, if the situation needed it.  Drawing a handgun while seated and belted in to a car is a slow process.  Many people and cops will draw their guns well in advance of an actual threat so that they will be ahead of the curve.

4.  Shooting across partner.  Not always the best plan,  but you have to do what you have to do.  I would rather have my partner shoot across me than get shot by a bad guy. 

5.  Finger on the trigger?  We have no proof of that.

There are so many details missing from this story that no one here can offer a valid opinion.  You don't like it when "the left" does it, so you shouldn't do it either.

My huge disclaimer:  The cop could be a total loser who is completely in the wrong.  If he is, my points above are still valid until proven otherwise.  If the cop did screw up, then he should be punished for it.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 10:31:46 PM »
If the cop did screw up, then he should be punished for it.

But he probably won't be, for the same reason he apparently wasn't disciplined for the three other complaints ... Somali.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 10:39:38 PM »
Well since the IQ of the average Somalian is 68. Which is considered "Borderline Intellectual Functioning".
I'm not expecting a great explanation.

https://iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country/so-somalia
http://www.assessmentpsychology.com/iqclassifications.htm
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 10:55:21 PM »
Well since the IQ of the average Somalian is 68. Which is considered "Borderline Intellectual Functioning".
I'm not expecting a great explanation.

https://iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country/so-somalia
http://www.assessmentpsychology.com/iqclassifications.htm

I've been involved discussing this elsewhere.
1.  He has a college degree, just not in law enforcement.  He's smart, at least for a Somalian.
2.  His partner says that fireworks were going off, which is what she had called the cops for.

I say it's a lot like the Castile case, and will probably end the same way.  A cop in MN has free reign to shoot people for being 'scared'.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 12:20:44 AM »
I've been involved discussing this elsewhere.
1.  He has a college degree, just not in law enforcement.  He's smart, at least for a Somalian.
2.  His partner says that fireworks were going off, which is what she had called the cops for.

I say it's a lot like the Castile case, and will probably end the same way.  A cop in MN has free reign to shoot people for being 'scared'.

She called the cops because she thought someone was being assaulted in the alley.  Fireworks probably were going off; this is shortly after July 4 and Minnesotans love our fireworks smuggled in from Wisconsin. (I buy mine in Missouri)  Nobody should be surprised by fireworks in July.

At some point, the victims' families are gonna start taking matters into their own hands. When justice is impossible, vengeance is back on the table.  If they start shooting random cops, that's bad.  If they specifically target the ones murdering their family members and getting away with it, good for them; they are taking out the garbage that no one else will.
"It's good, though..."

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 12:28:50 AM »
A cop in MN the U.S. has free reign to frame, beat & shoot people and dogs for being 'scared'.

FTFY.

That point you speak of?  I think its coming sooner rather than later.  When it does, woe to America's largest street gang.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 12:29:06 AM »
OK.  I'll defend the cop.

1.  Not talking to investigators immediatly is normal.  Just like you, Joe Citizen, shouldn't talk to investigators immediatly after a traumatic event.

2.  Complaints against cops are normal.  Every cop gets a complaint filed against him.  It doesn't mean anything if there is no disciplinary action taken.

3.  Gun drawn in car.  I would too, if the situation needed it.  Drawing a handgun while seated and belted in to a car is a slow process.  Many people and cops will draw their guns well in advance of an actual threat so that they will be ahead of the curve.

4.  Shooting across partner.  Not always the best plan,  but you have to do what you have to do.  I would rather have my partner shoot across me than get shot by a bad guy. 

5.  Finger on the trigger?  We have no proof of that.

There are so many details missing from this story that no one here can offer a valid opinion.  You don't like it when "the left" does it, so you shouldn't do it either.

The only point with which I've a serious quibble is number 5. We have some evidence for that.

As for the rest, curmudgeon rage matters. Don't you dare question our non-experience!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 12:58:04 PM »
Author says take it with a grain of salt, but here: http://www.those-who-serve.com/2017/07/19/noor_ois_minneapolis/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.