Author Topic: Pancakes!  (Read 15613 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Pancakes!
« on: July 20, 2017, 02:28:15 PM »
I've gone through a few pancake recipes* over the years, but discovered this one a couple of years ago and love it. I get good reviews from others when I make them, and they are quite fluffy. Older recipes I used (or modified) had more butter and sugar, which you think would be good, but never resulted in anything as good as these. My only modification is that I use half the salt and then add a tablespoon of vanilla. I've also found that for whatever reason, making my milk from nonfat powder versus using regular milk results in better and fluffier pancakes (actually the powdered milk seems to improve all my baking). These are great topped with the ridiculously inexpensive Kirkland maple syrup.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/21014/good-old-fashioned-pancakes/

I generally make these on Sundays. I was making them more after I retired because I had the time, but noticed my stomach starting to stick out.  :laugh:  If I want pancakes on weekdays, I make Kodiak cakes, which are a protein pancake mix low in calories, but surprisingly good. The Costco price on them is worth it, but regular price is a little high, IMO.

* American pancakes. I grew up on German pancakes (crepes really) and my mom and aunt just made the best. I never got an actual recipe because my mom always did stuff by "a handful of this and a pinch of that". It was always a family joke trying to get the recipe out of her. The typical scenario was, "Of course I'll show you. We'll make them at 630 tomorrow morning. When 630 came, as  I got out of bed  I could smell the already cooked pancakes, because she got up at 530 to make them.  :laugh:

Anyway, I did pretty much figure it out eventually, but sadly haven't made them in years. This new forum has given me the impetus to remember the procedure again. I'll start making them, and when  I have it down again, I'll actually measure stuff and post a recipe.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:30:22 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Pancakes!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 03:04:50 PM »
I like pancakes.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 03:17:25 PM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »
That recipe is a duplicate to the one I used, except I found it at Food Wishes. Definitely the best pancake recipe I've ever tried.

Lately though I've been making mostly crepes. I can't remember where I found the recipe, but it's not all that hard:

1.5:1 ratio of milk:flour (or 1:1 if you like them more tortilla-like)
1 egg per 1/2 cup of flour.
1/4 tsp salt per egg
1 tbsp butter or vegetable oil per egg

Beat egg, then mix in butter (or oil), flour, milk, and salt. You want the batter to be smooth, so the trick is to add the flour and milk slowly, keeping the batter a bit on the dry side until you get all the flour added, then you can pour in the rest of the milk. Adding it all together at once results in clumps that are hard to beat out. Pour just enough to coat the bottom of a lightly oiled cast iron or non-stick skillet. Best way to get it spread evenly is to tilt the skillet around until it has all spread out. Cook on medium heat until the first side is a bit crispy, then flip.  

The ratios make it easy to scale. Doing 3/4 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of flour and 1 egg gets you 3-4 big crepes, if you use an 11" skillet like I do.

Fill with whatever floats your boat. I've been filling mine with quartered bananas, a bit of mascarpone, and some chocolate chips. I put the bananas and chocolate chips on right after I flip, so they get heated up and the chocolate melts a bit.

Also, adding an extra egg per 1/2 cup of flour makes it more savory, which is a good choice if you're going to fill it with something like ham and cheese.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 12:30:18 AM »
Heaping cup of whole wheat flour
Couple of eggs
Whole milk
Vanilla
About a teaspoon or so each baking powder and baking soda
Couple pinches salt
Dollop of honey
Tablespoon melted butter or bacon grease

Sometimes I'll add buttermilk instead of or half and half with whole milk.
1/4 to 1/3 cup batter into a lightly greased cast iron skillet, flip em when the first side is done.
Butter and syrup to suit.  I prefer honey but also like sorghum and molasses.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 12:39:03 AM »
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/76448/truck-stop-buttermilk-pancakes/

This is my go-to pancake recipe these days.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 11:07:03 AM »
I've never been able to tell much difference between pancakes from scratch and those from a box.

Of course, I'm not a pancake aficionado, really, and generally only make them two or three times a year, in the winter, and normally drown them in syrup and top them with a couple of fried eggs.

Normally I use Walmart's brand of buttermilk pancakes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 09:45:58 AM »
This recipe for Old Fashioned pancakes just popped up in my e-mail.

I get an e-mail a day from All Recipes. Gotten some really good ideas from them.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/21014/good-old-fashioned-pancakes/?utm_content=ed001&prop26=whatscooking&prop25=8240676536&prop27=2017-07-27&did=161482-20170727
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 09:51:12 AM »
This recipe for Old Fashioned pancakes just popped up in my e-mail.

I get an e-mail a day from All Recipes. Gotten some really good ideas from them.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/21014/good-old-fashioned-pancakes/?utm_content=ed001&prop26=whatscooking&prop25=8240676536&prop27=2017-07-27&did=161482-20170727

Please refer to post #1.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 10:25:18 AM »
Heaping cup of whole wheat flour
Couple of eggs
Whole milk
Vanilla
About a teaspoon or so each baking powder and baking soda
Couple pinches salt
Dollop of honey
Tablespoon melted butter or bacon grease

Sometimes I'll add buttermilk instead of or half and half with whole milk.
1/4 to 1/3 cup batter into a lightly greased cast iron skillet, flip em when the first side is done.
Butter and syrup to suit.  I prefer honey but also like sorghum and molasses.

Mom makes something similar. Big thumbs up on the sorghum. We used to have relatives in Arkansas who had a small sorghum operation. They would bring us a gallon of fresh sorghum syrup every fall.

No reason to use soda unless you're adding the buttermilk. Not enough acidity in the teaspoon of baking power to activate the extra soda.

Or you can quite using that sissified city-boy whole milk and use straight buttermilk like a real man.  =D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 10:34:49 AM »

Please refer to post #1.  :laugh:

Oh. Well what do you know.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 10:37:02 AM »
My preference for pancakes is the instant mix... >:D
BUT instead of adding water, use a nice chocolate or coffee stout and cook them on a cast iron skillet over the campfire. Delicious every time.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 11:30:22 AM »
Oh. Well what do you know.

Good pancake recipes.  :rofl:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 09:06:07 PM »
Good pancake recipes.  :rofl:

I'll have to take your word for it. Couldn't prove it by me!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 11:28:27 PM »
pancakes? recipes? just dump flour n such in a bowl and stir it up like your grandmother did. [popcorn]

if you haven't done it in a few months, you'll be eating some rough pancakes for a few days, but you'll get there. =D

yes really, recipes are for waffles. :facepalm:

oh, and cast iron. everything else takes to long to reheat. [ar15]

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 02:16:43 AM »
Mom makes something similar. Big thumbs up on the sorghum. We used to have relatives in Arkansas who had a small sorghum operation. They would bring us a gallon of fresh sorghum syrup every fall.

No reason to use soda unless you're adding the buttermilk. Not enough acidity in the teaspoon of baking power to activate the extra soda.

Or you can quite using that sissified city-boy whole milk and use straight buttermilk like a real man.  =D

Brad

Powder and soda was the way Grandma done it. She may have added something else that I don't remember, it's been 40+ years...Since I'm cooking them in her cast iron skillet that she got from her mother that was passed to my aunt and then to me I'll keep doing it her way.
Real buttermilk is a little hard to come by. I'll use the cultured stuff from the grocery store from time to time if I plan a breakfast that far ahead but it usually ends up about half or better goes to waste before we can use it up.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 05:56:53 AM »
about half or better goes to waste before we can use it up.

I run into the same problem when I make biscuits.  I've developed a taste for it that I didn't have in my childhood, so now I just drink a big ol' glass while making the biscuits.  No more extra... :)

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 07:04:59 AM »
"Real buttermilk is a little hard to come by. I'll use the cultured stuff from the grocery store from time to time if I plan a breakfast that far ahead but it usually ends up about half or better goes to waste before we can use it up."

Ice cube tray or other container in which you can do measured amounts.

Stuff freezes great.

Once it's frozen, store in a ziplock freezer bag and take out what you need.

I do it all the time.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 07:31:18 AM »
Stuff freezes great.

Once it's frozen, store in a ziplock freezer bag and take out what you need.

That applies to pancakes, too.  I always make extra to be frozen.  Those get undercooked slightly so when I toast them they aren't over-cooked.

Speaking of pancakes, I use Alton Brown's recipe. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 07:55:38 AM »
I never considered freezing buttermilk.  I'll have to keep that in mind.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 08:38:52 AM »
I never considered freezing buttermilk.  I'll have to keep that in mind.

Chris

Ditto.  I buy the can of dried buttermilk in the baking section, and reconstitute as needed.  Not as good as the fresh buttermilk.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 09:45:40 AM »
A little annoying with the ads, but good information on freezing buttermilk here: http://divascancook.com/how-to-freeze-buttermilk/

There are also buttermilk powders that you mix with either water.

Edit in: I see that the buttermilk powder has already been mentioned.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 10:40:50 AM »
Ha anyone here ever made buttermilk from milk and vinegar (apparently lemon juice works too)? Any large difference for baking?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 10:42:31 AM »
Ha anyone here ever made buttermilk from milk and vinegar (apparently lemon juice works too)? Any large difference for baking?

I'll do that often as it's easier than keeping buttermilk on hand that eventually goes bad.

I can taste no difference in baked goods.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 11:01:20 AM »

Yes. Frequently.

I can notice the difference in some things, like biscuits.

But, in things like cakes that have a lot of different flavors and icing going on? No. Not really.