Author Topic: Libations!  (Read 9295 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Libations!
« on: July 20, 2017, 03:59:46 PM »
So I have recently made up a batch of Nocino/vin de noix that is just coming up to maturity.  Bitterness is gone, flavors are smooth and mellow, and the nuttiness of the walnuts is starting to shine through.  And it only took a year of aging!  :D

Seriously potent though, as I used 190 proof everclear.  I'd post some pics, but since photobucket has pulled an HK and basically told their customers they hate them, no can do.

Also made up a batch of limoncello....   That only took about 30 days.  time to make another, since the last bottle is in the freezer.  
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: Libations!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 01:31:46 AM »
Stopped by the local liquor store tonight to pick up some more everclear for the next batch of limoncello.  Decided I needed to pick up a bottle of Pyrat rum while I was there too.   Forgot just how good that stuff is.

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 11:27:36 AM »
Need to check the gravity on my dopplebock that's been lagering in the fridge for probably a couple months or more.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 03:37:08 PM »
Buying the stuff at the store is sooo much easier.

And that is why I am starting to enjoy my Saturday afternoon.  It is 5 O'clock somewhere.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 09:26:25 PM »
This is my second summer in my new home.  Last year, one of the trees in the yard did nothing, so I thought it was just another scraggly tree.  This year, BAM, walnuts, holy balls walnuts.  I guess they were on vacation last summer.  Anyway, I'll have walnuts soon.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 11:11:29 PM »
I love Pyrat rum.  I found one I like better but I can't get it in Michigan.  Fortunately it's available in Florida when I'm down there in the winter.  Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva.  Venezuelan rum.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 09:43:19 AM »
I'm letting my batch of Limoncello age in hopes that some of the harshness of the 80 proof vodka that I used will mellow out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 03:28:32 PM »
In Minnesota, Everclear is hard to find and I think it's 151 proof instead of 190.  Will that work okay for making limoncello?  The final liqueur is diluted to what, about 100 proof?
"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 06:00:50 PM »
In Minnesota, Everclear is hard to find and I think it's 151 proof instead of 190.  Will that work okay for making limoncello?  The final liqueur is diluted to what, about 100 proof?

Time to run to the WI border.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 06:03:44 PM »
Time to run to the WI border.

I understand that.  Or bring some back next from Missouri or Texas next time I drive down.  But would 151 work just as well since you have to dilute it a bit anyway?  Or am I mis-remembering that part?
"It's good, though..."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 07:26:47 PM »
I understand that.  Or bring some back next from Missouri or Texas next time I drive down.  But would 151 work just as well since you have to dilute it a bit anyway?  Or am I mis-remembering that part?

You really want to cut it 1:1 w/ simple syrup (at least from what I've read).  So using 151 proof you'd just end up at 75.5 proof instead of 95 proof.  I suppose you could cut it a little less to keep it closer to that 95 proof, but my understanding is that the best balance is a 1:1:1 recipe, 1 part booze, 1 part water, 1 part sugar (all by volume). 

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 12:11:31 AM »
You really want to cut it 1:1 w/ simple syrup (at least from what I've read).  So using 151 proof you'd just end up at 75.5 proof instead of 95 proof.  I suppose you could cut it a little less to keep it closer to that 95 proof, but my understanding is that the best balance is a 1:1:1 recipe, 1 part booze, 1 part water, 1 part sugar (all by volume). 

Thanks, that was very helpful.  So I would need a stronger simple syrup, and use less of it to achieve the right ratio when it's all mixed.  (or get some real Everclear)
"It's good, though..."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 12:24:55 AM »
Thanks, that was very helpful.  So I would need a stronger simple syrup, and use less of it to achieve the right ratio when it's all mixed.  (or get some real Everclear)

Soudns about right - but that could be the (wowo it's strong" couple shots of nocino i just downed waaz to fas.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 12:30:42 AM »
Speaking of nocinoa..   I'm less than impressed by it.  it's gota walnuty flavor....   But it's not my go to choie.    I think my current favorite is the limoncello (that too way too many tries to type. tat nocino is stroong)

Trying my hand at a blueberry cello next (alongside a batch of limoncello (dammit i keep wanting toput an h inther)

Gonna have to cut back ont he sugar in the simple syrup on that one.   THe blueberrie leaves it too swee tto start with - need to not sweetn it quite so muchh.