Author Topic: FBI Siezes Smashed DNC Hard Drives  (Read 5611 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
FBI Siezes Smashed DNC Hard Drives
« on: July 24, 2017, 12:06:08 PM »
Lest "Russia Russia Russia" makes us forget, there was a lot of DNC hanky panky making the news only a few months ago.

The FBI has seized "smashed" hard drives from a Wasserman Schultz Aide. I found it interesting the he's supposedly an IT guy. Smashing a hard drive may or may not prevent data access, and then leaving them laying around your home or office isn't exactly brilliant. Maybe he nuked them first and the article just didn't mention it, or authorities don't know yet.

But anyway, "Trump and Russia!!!"

http://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/07/24/crooked-democrats-fbi-seizes-smashed-hard-drives-from-wasserman-schultz-it-aides-home/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: FBI Siezes Smashed DNC Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 12:10:47 PM »
...a Wasserman Schultz Aide...

Obviously a plant, sent by Trump's Russian masters.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 12:15:50 PM »
Open drive, remove platters, apply electric sander to ENTIRE surface of BOTH sides of ALL platters, cut platters into quarters, throw in a roaring HOT fire, then you MIGHT be fairly safe.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 12:24:06 PM »
Open drive, remove platters, apply electric sander to ENTIRE surface of BOTH sides of ALL platters, cut platters into quarters, throw in a roaring HOT fire, then you MIGHT be fairly safe.

Acetylene torch with a rosebud tip. Aluminum platters would last about ten seconds. Kinda hard to read data when it's re-formed into a smoldering pile of molten goo.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 12:24:19 PM »

Pfft. You do things the hard way.

Thermite.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 12:25:58 PM »
Pfft. You do things the hard way.

Thermite.  =D
Yep.  Which reminds me, it's almost time for my annual platter melt.  Have to check with clients to see what they're ready to burn.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »

Brad is correct. Acetylene torch is faster and much more secure. It's listed somewhere in the appropriate manuals as an approved field expedient manner of destroying classified electronics. Which is how I convinced my boss to buy me a couple, just in case.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 02:07:49 PM »
Well then getting your boss to buy thermite grenades ought to be easy then.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 03:01:22 PM »

Throw them in a lake.  Gone.  Throw them out the window on a long country drive down random roads.  Gone. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 03:30:25 PM »
Would a bulk tape eraser on the individual platters work?  That's a pretty strong oscillating field.  I kept one from long ago.  It's great for demagging tools and finding lost parts.

I figure switching magnetic domains from 1 to 0 and 0 to 1 sixty times a second ought to do the trick.

Also, with respect to the OP, there's probably a thumb drive or SDD card with all that data backed up and hidden in somebody's couch cushions somewhere.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 03:44:45 PM »
Smashing drives with a hammer is perfectly fine, imo, as long as it's not a three letter agency out to get you.

......whoops!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 04:09:57 PM »
Throw them in a lake.  Gone.  Throw them out the window on a long country drive down random roads.  Gone. 

That can be a gamble. Sometimes it pays off. Like it did for Penn State's football program. Sometimes it doesn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Gricar#Disappearance

Torched always works.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »
Cordless drill through in a couple places should be fine
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 04:56:46 PM »
For the truly paranoid, you can drill, cut, and burn them; then you launch them on a rocket aimed at the sun. Should work.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 06:44:39 PM »
Nuke the platters from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.  [tinfoil]
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 08:27:28 AM »
When I've gotten rid of an old PC and removed the hard drives for disposal, I've sanded the disc surfaces with a belt sander, pounded them with a hammer, and then cut them into wedges.

Now I'm worried that someone may find the pieces in a landfill and reconstitute the data since I didn't melt them down with a blowtorch.   [tinfoil]

At work, physical damage to a company PC would be frowned on, so I've used a utility (BCWipe) to overwrite data files and free space multiple times with random 1s and 0s before giving up the old PC.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 09:34:20 AM »
When I've gotten rid of an old PC and removed the hard drives for disposal, I've sanded the disc surfaces with a belt sander, pounded them with a hammer, and then cut them into wedges.

Now I'm worried that someone may find the pieces in a landfill and reconstitute the data since I didn't melt them down with a blowtorch.   [tinfoil]

At work, physical damage to a company PC would be frowned on, so I've used a utility (BCWipe) to overwrite data files and free space multiple times with random 1s and 0s before giving up the old PC.
Throw the pieces in separate trash bags.  Take a few to trash cans at other locations.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 09:46:32 AM »
Pfft!  Do it right, or don't bother.

https://www.amazon.com/Pounds-Aluminum-Powder-30-micron/dp/B00KF598X0

plus

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Iron-Oxide-Natural-Pounds/dp/B004KICAVU

equals

FWIW there are 4 drives in that picture.  I saved up until I had reason to mix a good sized batch.  That $40 or so in materials will keep you in drive destruction for a decade of normal person use.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 10:47:34 AM »
Use one of these on the drive:  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 11:51:41 AM »
I've found that a few well placed rounds from a .303 Eddystone P14 will do the job as well.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 12:47:04 PM »
Throw the pieces in separate trash bags.  Take a few to trash cans at other locations.   =D

Yeah, take them to Maine and trade them in for a bag of weed.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/clean-the-trash-off-the-street-get-free-weed/458844658
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 01:04:35 PM »
FWIW there are 4 drives in that picture.  I saved up until I had reason to mix a good sized batch.  That $40 or so in materials will keep you in drive destruction for a decade of normal person use.

I'm pretty sure normal people get rid of their old hard drives by selling the whole computer on Craig's List, or donating it to Goodwill.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 03:03:20 PM »
Gettng back to the OP (After copying the Dogmush recipe):  I mentioned that this had started a while back.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=54740.0

Also, I haven't seen much on the DNC Donor Fraud Class Action Lawsuit down in Florida since May.   https://www.facebook.com/DNCfraudlawsuit/
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:34:30 PM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 05:46:29 PM »

I'm pretty sure normal people get rid of their old hard drives by selling the whole computer on Craig's List, or donating it to Goodwill.

I recently sold an older notebook computer in Craigs List. With a functioning hard drive in it.

First I ran a D.O.D. wipe program, then I did a pave-over and factory restore of the operating system. Does that make me normal, abnormal, or paranormal?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 06:42:33 PM »
I recently sold an older notebook computer in Craigs List. With a functioning hard drive in it.

First I ran a D.O.D. wipe program, then I did a pave-over and factory restore of the operating system. Does that make me normal, abnormal, or paranormal?

What?! You didn't destroy the hard drive in five different ways, some involving power tools and fire?

You gonna get hacked.