Author Topic: Amazon Jacks Up Prices on Prime Day  (Read 926 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Amazon Jacks Up Prices on Prime Day
« on: July 24, 2017, 09:08:04 PM »
I've suspected this for a while (maybe I'm naive and the rest of you knew it) but I know that I've seen, not just on Prime Day, but in Lightning Deals as well, the "retail price" higher than normal.

Years ago, I always expected a Lightning Deal to be a great price on something, offered for a limited time only. Nowadays, when I see a Lightning Deal I'm interested in, I take some time and research the pricing. Often it's only a couple of percent less expensive, and often the price is cheaper elsewhere.

As much as I love Amazon and all they offer, sometimes I think they're getting too big for their britches. I just saw the other day that the mere announcement of them applying for a patent to do what Blue Apron does (meal kit delivery) tanked the Blue Apron IPO. Amazon made their announcement just as the IPO came online. Now Blue Apron's best bet will likely be to let Amazon buy them for whatever Amazon offers.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/07/24/amazon-jacked-up-prime-day-prices-misleading-consumers-says-vendor.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Amazon Jacks Up Prices on Prime Day
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 09:10:44 PM »
There's talk of anti-trust action against Amazon and IMHO it's overdue.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 09:58:23 PM »
Ben, I don't know if you have a Kohl's out there but they do the same thing with their sales.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 11:31:51 PM »
Gee, I thought it was pretty standard mercantile practice.

It's not right, but it's fairly common.   

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 11:34:54 PM »

They've gone downhill. Mostly due to third party sellers. Lots of counterfeits too, which is a much bigger problem than virtually anyone acknowledges.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 11:51:21 PM »
Gee, I thought it was pretty standard mercantile practice.

It's not right, but it's fairly common.   

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about:
$50 retail
Your Amazon Price only $40!

I'm talking about:

Monday: Retail=$50/Amazon=$40
Tuesday Lightning Deal: Retail=$75/Amazon=$40/Lightning Deal=$37
Wednesday: Retail=$50/Amazon=$40
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 08:13:41 AM »
So what else is new?

I was looking for new recliner and went to La-Z-Boy, which was having a 2 for 1 sale. The salesman told me if I only wanted 1, well, he could get it for me for half price.

When he walked away for a bit, I looked at the tag - and noticed there seemed to be a LOT of paper in the little pouch. Well, they had the stuff from the previous week's sale in it, and the MSRP was $500 less then - they'd jacked up the price a full $500 for their 2 for 1 sale!

When I was little, my Mom told me that furniture and appliance stores jacked up prices routinely right before a sale, and got some bad publicity because of it. I guess with a new generation of consumers, they're pulling that same cr@p again - even on line.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 12:46:49 PM »
Amazon prices do fluctuate, even separately from their "savings" trickery. In addition to comparing Amazon's price to other websites I also like to check out the price history at Amazon using camelcamelcamel
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 01:12:21 PM »
DittoHead beat me to it, camelcamelcamel is the easiest to know how much a of a sale a "sale" really is on Amazon. Also can be set up to email you a product price goes below a set threshold, which is nice.