Author Topic: Careful When You're Shaving  (Read 2532 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Careful When You're Shaving
« on: July 24, 2017, 09:10:44 PM »
Or you might end up like this guy. I had no idea something like this could develop from a shaving cut. I'm curious why he and/or doctors let it get so big. You'd think immediate treatment would have solved the problem for a much, much lower cost. Apparently radiation was involved in removal at this point.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/07/24/man-gets-massive-keloids-removed-from-neck-in-life-changing-surgery.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Careful When You're Shaving
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 10:04:24 PM »
He should have just shaved that off.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 10:15:29 PM »
Crowell, of Milwaukee, had sought to have the keloids removed but was ultimately denied by insurers

Thank $diety for Obamacare.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 12:41:01 AM »
I get keloids whenever I have a mole removed, but nothing even remotely like that.  They just form a minor bump on me.  I feel for that guy.  Wonder what rationale the insurers used to deny that pre-authorization.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 03:42:11 PM »
"Careful When You're Shaving"

Yeah, there was a gal up in Fort Collins who got the flesh-eating bacteria disease from shaving her legs about a year ago.  I think she lost a leg.

My Mommy taught me to smear tincture of iodine on any puncture or scratch or unexplained irritation.  (Not for open bleeding cuts.)

Modern medical practitioners object to this practice for various hokey-sounding reasons, but it seems to work, especially since iodine penetrates.

Often works for bug bites, too.  I guess its halogen activity tends to chemically disrupt the nasty toxins and whatnot in the bite.

Yeah, poison.  But so is water if you ingest too much of it.

Terry

REF (Sample example):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:58:41 PM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 03:54:21 PM »
"Careful When You're Shaving"

Modern medical practitioners object to this practice for various hokey-sounding reasons, but it seems to work, especially since iodine penetrates.

Seems to work for bug bites, too.  I guess its halogen activity tends to disrupt the nasty toxins in the bite.  

I find that interesting. I wonder what their reasons are?

My dad swears by Iodine and Merthiolate for cuts, and yeah, bug and ant bites too. It's super hard to find locally and I usually order off Amazon. The last bottles of Merthiolate had all Spanish labels.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 04:12:37 PM »
I dunno. As I said, I suspect its high chemical activity busts up the  chemistry of the toxins.

I got royally POed when the FDA took it off the market for a while on account of apparently they use in in meth labs.  I went out and bought just about every bottle of it I could find.

They put it back on the market, but I was and still am pissed at the FDA for that and the tryptophan banning.

Ben: "I find that interesting. I wonder what their reasons are?"

On the "reasons," I talked to who used to be my Dr. about it and he said, "But it would inhibit healing."  I told him outright that I'd rather have a slow complete clean healing than have germs replicating and spreading around in my tender little body under the superficial fast healing.

In addition, the last time I opened my yap about iodine, I got hit by tons of "yeah, buts" by half a dozen medicos on that board.  The yeah, buts mainly revolved around its inherent toxicity and the healing inhibition and "better" options.  Hey, it's not like I was painting iodine all over myself like in that *expletive deleted*hole M*A*S*H episode where they covered some poor schnook in iodine to make him think he had turned into a negro.

Oh, oh, and I got called out for mixing up histamines and antihistamines.  OK, I'll give you that one. Dummy me.

On open cuts I'll put a bandage over them as in normal practice, but then dab some tincture of iodine on the padding and let that migrate around toward the wound slowly.

I swearta G-d, modern medical practitioners are almost as brainwashed as journalists and leftists. >:D

I've got enough "reserve" bottles of iodine around that if I'm ever raided for drugs (which I don't use, make, or market), those would be included in the various "drug paraphernalia" things I happen to  have... suchlike several small scales and a half ton of small plastic baggies.

And teaspoons.

Oh, and candles.

"Drug paraphernalia," my soft pink ass.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 04:56:57 PM by 230RN »

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 06:28:19 PM »
My wife has keloid skin. Whenever she has her chest cracked or any other slice through the skin we give it about 6 weeks of healing then off to the dermatologist for steroid injections into the scar. It keeps the body from laying down all of the collagen that makes up the keloids. What does end up scarring is usually pretty soft and not nearly as large. We already have her next appointment scheduled. Her pacer gets replaced tomorrow.

bob

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 11:24:35 PM »
I've been using betadine any time iodine would be a logical choice. I've had a couple staph infections over the last couple years & Iodine sure helps keep that in check. Especially when used early & often.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 12:54:44 AM »
Hibiclens/Chlorohexadine gluconate is better, less toxic to still living human tissues and has a higher degree of persistence. It bonds to your dead keratin protein in your outer skin layers, but keeps it's antiseptic properties so it keeps on working for several days, even with regular bathing. While the iodine, direct tincture, or Povidone mixture will evaporate.

Although as elaborated above, unless you're dousing deep full-thickness cuts to muscle, bone, or organs with iodine, the toxicity is overblown. A few extra layers of cells might die, but in most cases the benefits of sterilizing the area vastly outweigh doing nothing at all.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 01:08:28 AM »
Althoughout the Army, from Fort Leonard, to Ft. Gordon, to Baumholder, there were guys that got shave chits because the would develop Shaving Bumps (Keloids).  Once they went down, the shave chit would be rescinded by the Doc's and they have to use Magic Shave to keep clean shaven.  Because you did NOT want to go through the NBC chamber with a mask that didn't seal.  It sucked enough as it was.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 09:55:32 AM »
With a mask that didn't seal?  My mask sealed perfectly, until the Drill took it off to ask me questions. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 04:48:49 PM »
Yes,  but having one that didn't seal made the suck start as soon as you walked in.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 06:02:10 PM »
Mine always sealed until the DI made us rip them off.  And no, it didn't suck.  You tried very hard not to suck.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.