Author Topic: Small Bluetooth speakers  (Read 1073 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Small Bluetooth speakers
« on: July 25, 2017, 08:55:24 AM »
Anyone have a Bluetooth speaker, specifically one they use in a damp/wet location like a bathroom?

I've got a shaving mirror/radio combo, and the radio is crapping out. None of the new shaving mirror/radio combos get decent reviews, so I figured I'd just get a small speaker and use my phone to listen to the news in the shower in the morning.

Pros? Cons?

So many choices, and such a huge price range.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Small Bluetooth speakers
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 09:09:41 AM »
I bought my wife this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Bluetooth-Portable-Subwoofers-Wireless/dp/B0107WH8Q4/

It's been a very impressive little speaker. Not water resistant though.

So, a water resistant one:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-SoundCore-Portable-Bluetooth-Resistance/dp/B01MTB55WH/

I've been impressed by Anker. We've had headphones and speakers from them for some time now and they've been solid. I've never heard the above speaker, but I'd feel comfortable with it, given their quality elsewhere.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 09:18:26 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/808-Thump-Bluetooth-Wireless-Speaker/dp/B00T9KFUQQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1500988301&sr=8-5&keywords=bluetooth+speaker+thump
I got this one as a gift a year or two ago.  Not water proof, but I don't use it in the shower, just in the bathroom and it seems to work fine in the humidity.  I have dropped it a number of times as well.  It is plenty loud enough to play the podcasts and radio over the internet.  I don't listen to music with it.  If I got another one, I would definitely look at that brand.

I have an old jawbone speaker that does okay, but it seems to have trouble with podcasts that are not loud to begin with.  It won't amp up the volume quite enough sometimes.  Plus it has an aluminum body with sharp edges.  I haven't dropped it on my foot yet, but I figure it would hurt.  

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 09:25:01 AM »
I think I'm going to give this one a try. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZT65G8Q/ref=psdc_7073956011_t3_B00NXXWLMQ

It's not damp rated, but I really don't steam up the bath and I have a fan and dehumidifier in there.

It gets excellent reviews and isn't too expensive. I certainly don't need stereo capability just to listen to the news.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 05:02:03 PM »
I've bought a couple of these. One for me, one as a gift.  Not bluetooth, but opens to hold a player inside it.  Instead, I put a small bluetooth receiver in it and connect to my phone which is kept safely away from the dampness of the bath.  Not rechargeable, runs on 3 AA batteries.  I hang it IN the shower, right by the shower head. Sounds pretty good, too.

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 05:11:17 PM »
I use this one in my shower:  https://www.amazon.com/iFox-iF013-Bluetooth-Shower-Speaker/dp/B01HOREG2Y/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1501016929&sr=1-5&keywords=ifox+if012+bluetooth+shower+speaker

It is the size of two hockey pucks stacked up.  The suction cup works well on glass, but I haven't tried on anything else.  The sound quality is good and it gets plenty loud.  The only downside is the battery life, which I estimate is about 3 hours.  The device recharges via a standard micro USB cable.

One more downside... the buttons are impossible to read unless the lighting is just right.  That doesn't really bother me as I only use the on/off button.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 08:58:03 PM »
I have one as well.  Less bass than I was expecting, and I wasn't expecting much.  Sounds good otherwise.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 08:06:55 AM »
I think I'm going to give this one a try. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZT65G8Q/ref=psdc_7073956011_t3_B00NXXWLMQ

It's not damp rated, but I really don't steam up the bath and I have a fan and dehumidifier in there.

It gets excellent reviews and isn't too expensive. I certainly don't need stereo capability just to listen to the news.

Will you name it "Bob"?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 09:14:06 AM »
Anyone have a Bluetooth speaker, specifically one they use in a damp/wet location like a bathroom?

I've got a shaving mirror/radio combo, and the radio is crapping out. None of the new shaving mirror/radio combos get decent reviews, so I figured I'd just get a small speaker and use my phone to listen to the news in the shower in the morning.

Pros? Cons?

So many choices, and such a huge price range.

I have one of these and like it.  Don't know about the wet environment.  www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Wireless-Bluetooth-Speaker-Microphone/dp/B00EHZYWGM
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 09:40:06 AM »

Will you name it "Bob"?

Que?

Oh. OK. Gotcha. The 808 on the faceplate looks like Bob. I didn't pick up on that at first. Nice.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 09:40:32 AM »
Woot has a B&O bluetooth speaker on sale right now...

$170...

Nope.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 07:17:45 AM »
Well, I got the speaker last night. Came partially charged, so I was able to try it out.

No volume control, you have to do that on your phone. Nice, full sound for such a little device. No problems synching it with my cell phone. More than loud enough to put it on the shelf over the sink while I shower, which I did this morning.

Not a bad piece of kit for $18.