Author Topic: Fed appeals court - DC "good reason" conceal-carry requirment unconstitutional  (Read 1923 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
2-1 ruling saying the DC "good reason" requirement for obtaining concealed-carry permits constitutes a de facto ban.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/25/appeals-court-blocks-dcs-concealed-carry-law-on-second-amendment-grounds.html

“The good-reason law is necessarily a total ban on most D.C. residents’ right to carry a gun in the face of ordinary self-defense needs,” Judge Thomas B. Griffith wrote, according to the paper. “Bans on the ability of most citizens to exercise an enumerated right would have to flunk any judicial test.”

Sometimes the sun does shine a little brighter.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
This is Trump's and Bush's fault!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
But, defending oneself against street crime isn't a good reason to need to carry a gun!

Because if we allow it, we have to admit that our long history of Democratically controlled local government is absolutely powerless to protect its citizenry and it shows the lie of the supposed Democrat utopia!

And we can't be having that now, can we?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Finely!   Some  GOOD news! =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
This is outrageous.

Now don't get me wrong. I stand four-square in defense of the second amendment right to bear arms for Really Important Purposes. You know, like shooting animals as a leisure activity. Or making holes appear in distant sheets of paper. Or for collecting, which is also obviously Very Important. But now we're going to allow the little people to have guns on the streets, just so they can not die, or not be raped?! Are they even serious about this?! Don't they know that's only for important people, like politicians?! How many sentences must I conclude with an interrobang to get my point across?!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
I wish I knew what an interrobang was..... :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Does anyone really expect Wash. DC to comply with this ruling?  Who or what would enforce it?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
I wish I knew what an interrobang was..... :angel:

Rule 34.

TommyGunn

• friend
Rule 34.

I wish I knew what rule 34 was.......

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.

I wish I knew what rule 34 was.......

It's the one after 33.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...

Nice job, fistful.  Liked.  I may request stealing privileges.

X (230RN, his mark)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:30:42 AM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
(Nice job, fistful.  Liked.  I may request stealing privileges.)

X (230RN, his mark)

Have your people call my people.

It could be that "interrobang" is actually law enforcement slang for an interrogation that's gotten well outside of ethical guidelines. But I hope not.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sideways_8

• friend

Have your people call my people.

It could be that "interrobang" is actually law enforcement slang for an interrogation that's gotten well outside of ethical guidelines. But I hope not.

So Rule 34 does apply after all.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
in·ter·ro·bang
A non-standard punctuation mark (‽) indicating a question expressed in an exclamatory manner, as in what are you doing‽.

I use something like this, "WHAT?!?!"
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Does anyone really expect Wash. DC to comply with this ruling?  Who or what would enforce it?

The DC City Council was trying to be cute by "complying" with Heller and MacDonald, by providing a mechanism to apply for a permit, but by stipulating the "Good Reason" clause could deny every a CCW. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
The DC City Council was trying to be cute by "complying" with Heller and MacDonald, by providing a mechanism to apply for a permit, but by stipulating the "Good Reason" clause could deny every a CCW.

I expect they will do something very similar this time around.  Or just flat ignore the ruling.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
hopefully this will lead to a scotus decision in our favor, I am really tired of no national reciprocity.
Peruta case really got me cynical, first 9th circuit says you dont need shall issue because unloaded open carry is legal, then CA makes unloaded open carry illegal and scotus refuses to take.
This case may help CA and national reciprocity, i am tired of waiting for it
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
hopefully this will lead to a scotus decision in our favor, I am really tired of no national reciprocity.
Peruta case really got me cynical, first 9th circuit says you dont need shall issue because unloaded open carry is legal, then CA makes unloaded open carry illegal and scotus refuses to take.
This case may help CA and national reciprocity, i am tired of waiting for it

Risky. The balance at the SCOTUS is now the same as it was before Justice Scalia passed away, and we can't count on Roberts or Kennedy to support the 2A again.

Better would be passage of the national carry reciprocity bill. Paul Ryan reportedly killed that. Time for everyone to start flooding the White House and Ryan's office with letters and e-mail demanding that it be passed, and reminding them that national carry reciprocity was one of the planks that got the Republicans elected.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design